College Basketball Thread - 2018/19

TimTaylor751647545500

Buckeyes have had two pretty impressive road wins in their short 3 games so far against Cincy in their new arena and last night at Creighton. Didn't like seeing them give up the 12 point lead coming out of halftime, but closing out the game on a 13-0 run put the game away showed how Holtman knows how to make in-game coaching adjustments. That was the nail in the coffin for Creighton. With so much talent gone from last year, I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of this new class. Lots of young guys with a ton of talent. Excited to see how the season progresses and how the group gels once they get more games under their belt as a team. But Duke just looks like a different level all together. A number of those guys could be playing in the NBA already.

Go Bucks!

Discuss...

Edited by TimTaylor75

I'm really excited for this year...can't believe we were picked by some analysts to finish 12th in the Big10. Chris Holtman has these guys playing out of their mind, and they could very easily go into the Syracuse game undefeated (which I am lucky enough to have tickets to).

And yeah, I have a tough time seeing anyone beating Duke. I saw the Vegas thing where if they played the Cavs they'd only be a 22 point underdog, and even then, I think they could contend.

With two consecutive losses, Nova drops out of the top 25, where the Buckeyes enter at #23 after cruising passed SC State yesterday. I'd love to attend the game at St John this week, but that one is sold out. Edited by TimTaylor75

With two consecutive losses, Nova drops out of the top 25, where the Buckeyes enter at #23 after cruising passed SC State yesterday. I'd love to attend the game at St John this week, but that one is sold out.

I ended up getting 2 tickets to the game on Friday night in St. John's for $50 each yesterday. Pretty excited for my first game there, and I lucked out and got 4 suite tickets to my companies box against Syracuse on 11/28.

It's crazy. A lot of the top basketball writers had us finishing 8th-12th in the B1G. Not saying it can't happen, but I'm sure those same writers didn't expect this start. Don't doubt Holtmann. Unlike Matta, Holtmann can make mediocre players good and good players great. Matta was an excellent recruiter but a poor player developer. Holtmann's in game coaching is also very impressive. Next years team should be pre-season top 5 with the talent they have coming in along with the returning starters on this team.

It's crazy. A lot of the top basketball writers had us finishing 8th-12th in the B1G. Not saying it can't happen, but I'm sure those same writers didn't expect this start. Don't doubt Holtmann. Unlike Matta, Holtmann can make mediocre players good and good players great. Matta was an excellent recruiter but a poor player developer. Holtmann's in game coaching is also very impressive. Next years team should be pre-season top 5 with the talent they have coming in along with the returning starters on this team.

You nailed it man. Half of these guys would be nobody's under Matta, but Holtman gets the most out of them.

I went to the game at St. John's on Friday and man was it fun, I wish we still played there full time!

This team could be dangerous down the stretch, but the Big10 is fixing to be a really strong conference from top to the 8th team or so. We'll see how it shakes out, but I don't think ANYONE expected them to start the way they have. A big test against Syracuse on Wednesday, glad I have tickets!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Buckeyes have quietly made their way to a 10-1 start of the season after last night's 18 point comeback win over YSU. Not sure what's up with the Wesson boys and injuring their mouths, but Andre losing 3 front teeth two games back and last night Kaleb needing a stitch in his lip after getting popped in the mouth, hopefully isn't a trend. Fortunately, Kaleb went off for 26 in the 2nd half netting him 31 points total last night. Not sure what things would look like without him in the lineup. Every game that passes, I'm getting more and more impressed with Luther Muhammad. Kid just has a motor and it seems the game is really starting to slow down for him. Next up is UCLA on Saturday in Chicago a the CBS Sports classic. UCLA plays Cincy tonight, so maybe we can see how they match up against someone we've already tangled with.

Holtmann is the MANN. I hope we can retain him for a while. Rothman on 97.1 said he is the best non shoo-in Hall of fame coach (Mike Kzyzewski, Roy Williams, Bill Self to name a few) in college basketball right now. He is maximizing guys ability and it's fun to watch. He has his guys playing hard and sound defense.

Kaleb Wesson reminds me a lot of Terrance Dials if you can remember that far back lol. And his brother Andre reminds me a lot of a JJ Sullinger type player. This team is going to be crazy good next year with the guys coming in. This year, like last year is just found money for us which is awesome.

Dials was a load in the paint. Loved watching those guys play back in the day. I ran into JJ at the Bogie after the tourney two years ago and had a 10 minute conversation with him about today's OSU bball. That guy is still in crazy shape and looks like he could suit up and play today if he was needed. Super nice guy too.

Bigger game on paper today than in reality. I expect a double digit victory but if UCLA plays better than they have and we shoot cold like we have been in the first half of some games it could be closer than we want it.

UCLA coming off a blowout loss to Cincinnati, a team we beat. Transitive property doesn’t mean much but we are certainly the better team we just have to prove it. A win today I think locks us a spot in the tourney assuming we go at least .500 in B1G play

Holtman is a great coach. Has his guys playing hard and doing well. The B1G is loaded this year and will be extremely tough to win 10 conference games. The guys will be tourney ready after the conference schedule for sure. Hopefully they keep doing well and go on a little run come March.

Side note, the Matta banner unveiling during halftime a few weeks back was awesome. It's too bad his back was destroyed. It took its toll on his ability to coach. Glad Holtman is continuing to get solid players too.