College Football Thread 2018 v 2.0

Mitch

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, that’s mind blowing.

Though I guess the inverse is that every time Urban has lost he’s been favored. Meaning he’s lost games he technically should not have lost.

Though I’m going glass half full here and saying his undefeated record as an underdog is astounding.

Yup, that’s mind blowing.

Though I guess the inverse is that every time Urban has lost he’s been favored. Meaning he’s lost games he technically should not have lost.

Though I’m going glass half full here and saying his undefeated record as an underdog is astounding.

Meh, everyone loses games they shouldn’t, ahem,cough, Alabama 2014....

Not everyone wins every game they shouldn’t....

At the end of the day, Urban is the 2nd best coach in college football and probably the 2nd or 3rd best of all time. Getting an Urban Meyer is rare even for a blue blood program like the Buckeyes.

Urban is the GOAT at OSU, Woody pales in comparison. All Woody and Bo did was play each other.....

Tilley I think the most amazing stat is when OSU has been an underdog under Urban the Team is 7-0....

OSU was victim to an underdog Meyer coached team a few years back too.....Say what you want about Urban, but he knows how to use the underdog role very well.

Hopefully he can spin the game against Northwestern the same way he had us ready for a 59-0 win against the Badgers in 2014.

As much as I hate Saban, I don't think Urban can top what Nick has built at Bama. They are the best dynasty in college football history and it's not even close honestly.

Urban Meyer:

At OSU

81-9

Overall

185-32

Bowl games - 14

11-3

Highest win/loss percentage in a season: .933

Championships: 3

Nick Saban:

At 'Bama

144-20

Overall

235-62

Bowl games - 22

13-9

Championships: 6

They both are one of 3 coaches to have won Nat Championships at 2 schools. The other is Pop Warner.

Saban is a great coach. One of the all time best. Definitely one of the top 2 if (I kind of agree to an extent) not THE #1 currently, but he's not god and Urban def has produced. The only thing Saban has (statistically speaking) over Urban is 3 more NCs. He has been coaching 6 years longer as well (not that that makes a huge difference).

I would say that either one of them could be in the talks for the GOAT NCAAF HC.

Urban Meyer:

At OSU

81-9

Overall

185-32

Bowl games - 14

11-3

Championships: 3

Nick Saban:

At 'Bama

144-20

Overall

235-62

Bowl games - 22

13-9

Championships: 6

They both are one of 3 coaches to have won Nat Championships at 2 schools. The other is Pop Warner.

Saban is a great coach. One of the all time best. Definitely one of the top 2 if (I kind of agree to an extent) not THE #1 currently, but he's not god and Urban def has produced. The only thing Saban has (statistically speaking) over Urban is 3 more NCs. He has been coaching 6 years longer as well (not that that makes a huge difference).

I would say that either one of them could be in the talks for the GOAT NCAAF HC.

Yeah I guess after you mention that and I thought about one other thing as well.

Saban has gotten the ball to fall his way more often than not where Urban hasn’t.

Examples:

2011 Alabama lost to LSU then got another shot in the NC game and won (hard to beat a good team twice)

2012: Alabama got in over OSU due to OSU having sanctions or it would have been OSU/ND

2015: Ohio State gets left out (despite having the most talented team in college football) because of a last second loss to a very good MSU team. No way Alabama gets left out if roles were reversed.

2017: Alabama gets in over the Buckeyes despite not winning their conference. Refer to 2015, Alabama getting the benefit of the doubt but not the Buckeyes.

I get Alabama has converted on their opportunities so gotta give them credit but the point is, they have gotten opportunities where Ohio State has not.

Yeah I guess after you mention that and I thought about one other thing as well.

Saban has gotten the ball to fall his way more often than not where Urban hasn’t.

Examples:

2011 Alabama lost to LSU then got another shot in the NC game and won (hard to beat a good team twice)

2012: Alabama got in over OSU due to OSU having sanctions or it would have been OSU/ND

2015: Ohio State gets left out (despite having the most talented team in college football) because of a last second loss to a very good MSU team. No way Alabama gets left out if roles were reversed.

2017: Alabama gets in over the Buckeyes despite not winning their conference. Refer to 2015, Alabama getting the benefit of the doubt but not the Buckeyes.

I get Alabama has converted on their opportunities so gotta give them credit but the point is, they have gotten opportunities where Ohio State has not.

I hadn't even considered all of that.

I've said for years that Alabama's success is largely due to the SEC hype and them being given the benefit of second chances that other teams have not had.

For instance, in 2011 Alabama lost at home to LSU by 3 points. The SEC hype train (e.g., every talking head at CBS) then created the narrative that somehow that was the greatest game on earth (a final score 9 to 6, mind you), the SEC is so brutally difficult, and those two teams just had to have a rematch. I think that was the apex of the SEC bias. Alabama should never have been given that opportunity for a rematch.

In 2015, Ohio State lost at home to Michigan State by - guess what - 3 points. And like BStowers said, that was a good Michigan State team (by virtue of the fact they went to the playoff). Yet, Ohio State gets left out. Had we got the pass Alabama got, I say there's a great chance we would have won that year, too.

The SEC hype has also kept fueling the notion that somehow Alabama is really, really good because they beat a lot of ranked teams. Well, they only beat a lot of ranked teams because the media keeps anointing rankings to teams that don't deserve them. For years teams like Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina were nowhere to be found in rankings. However, in the age of the SEC hype, these teams all of sudden because ranked material. This then insured a recycling of ranked SEC teams - teams that won were considered fantastic (because they just beat a "ranked" team) and those who lost didn't fall too far (because, well, they only lost to a "ranked" team).

I've said I wouldn't be shocked if he was done after this season. Hearing that he's planning on coaching through 2019 is surprising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-urban-meyer-likely-out-after-2019-ryan-day-lined-up-as-successor/ar-BBQiUZP

It wouldn't shock me if he was just saying that and then after everything is all said and done after the season he stepped down. It will be a sad day when Urban leaves. I think a lot of Buckeye fans take for granted what he has done here. Most people predicted him to only last 5-10 years here though from the beginning. My biggest concern is how this effects recruiting. If Day is the coach in waiting, I hope Urban teaches him his Godly ways and it's a smooth transition from winning a lot of games to winning a lot of games (and beating scUM).

I've said I wouldn't be shocked if he was done after this season. Hearing that he's planning on coaching through 2019 is surprising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-urban-meyer-likely-out-after-2019-ryan-day-lined-up-as-successor/ar-BBQiUZP

The site the put out the report, FootballScoop, gets most of it's info from active and retired coaches.

That means that while they are pretty tied in, they do get some self serving BS from coaches from time to time (aka negative recruiting)

I am 50/50 on it being true

We have been thoroughly spoiled at Ohio State.

Cooper was a pretty good coach. Amassed plenty of talent, had some really good teams, but just couldn't win a bowl game or beat Michigan to save his life. Still, dude was a top 50 coach.

Tressel was an excellent coach. Won a shit ton of games. Was always the best coach in the B10, but never won it because Ohio State. Won a title, maybe should have won 2. (I say we were lucky to beat Miami - so that was kind of a gift - and likely should have at least won 1 of 2 from Florida/LSU.) Regardless, dude was a baller. Built teams designed to own the B10, and did so on a consistent basis. Top 20 coach all-time easy, arguably top 10.

Somehow we managed to go through a scandal and replace an excellent coach (Tressel) with an all-time great, top 3 coach all-time in Urban. The only reason why people aren't kneeling at Urban's greatness is because of Saban. Urban balled out at Utah, had Florida as the premier program in the nation for a solid few years, and now has Ohio State as undoubtedly the second best program over the past 7 years and has only added to the overall Ohio State domination since the 1980s.

And somehow, someway, 11-1 feels like a disappointment. WTF is wrong with us? I get it, we should have high expectations as a fanbase, but - for fuck's sake - it seems like it's come to this: beat Michigan by 90, beat Alabama on a neutral field, win national championship, and have a Heisman winner or else THIS SEASON SUCKS AND SO DOES URBAN AND EVERYTHING OHIO STATE.

BStowers is absolutely right: we are going to miss Urban when he's gone. But right now we have it so good that somehow we're all like, "Yeah, Urban, maybe it's time for you to go, we're tired of you bending over on the sidelines looking like you're having a headache, and we'll be fine because it's Ohio State and John Tilley could come in and win a national championship because we're that good, so see ya thanks for everything bye."

And somehow, someway, 11-1 feels like a disappointment. WTF is wrong with us? I get it, we should have high expectations as a fanbase, but - for fuck's sake - it seems like it's come to this: beat Michigan by 90, beat Alabama on a neutral field, win national championship, and have a Heisman winner or else THIS SEASON SUCKS AND SO DOES URBAN AND EVERYTHING OHIO STATE.

Thank you.

"...and we'll be fine because it's Ohio State and John Tilley could come in and win a national championship because we're that good, so see ya thanks for everything bye."

Best hair in college football.

We have been thoroughly spoiled at Ohio State.

Truth. I mean we are one of the few fan bases I've ever heard that actually 'boo' our own team/coaches. I'd be totally ecstatic for a Rose Bowl and not an NC bid.

We do carry a certain pedigree, but you can't win them all. I feel recently we have picked up a lot of 'fair weathered' fans; it's Championship or bust! I find myself talking my wife and friends off the ledge of perfection that they demand from OSU.

We had a good season with a young team, a stupid loss, a dominant Wolverine victory at home....let's get a bowl win and prep for a better 2019 season.(If we get an NC bid, then Go Bucks, if not, ZERO FUCKS GIVEN.)

You fucking fair weather OSU fans are a joke, go the the Championship, beat Alabama. What tells you you can’t? You have the best Coach on the planet for the playoff. Shouldn’t have won in 2002 right? Shouldn’t have won with your 3rd string QB in 2014 right? Such a fucking joke. You play to win the game!

I say go for the whole shebang every year. The playoff games are bowl games right? What's the difference? Go for the championship every chance you get, I'd rather lose there than be Rose bowl champs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Watching the Oklahoma vs Texas game I can't help but wonder how this product is better than what osu puts on the field. I mean seriously, it's a joke on defense, like worse than our worst game this year bad.

I think we'd beat both of these teams.