College Football Thread 2018 v 2.0

Mitch

please expand on why Georgia is ahead of OSU?

Georgia had the tougher schedule, lost to the #1 team and the #11 team, beat everyone else easily. Didn't get whooped by fucking Purdue and didn't nearly lose to a shitty team like Maryland.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgia had the tougher schedule, lost to the #1 team and the #11 team, beat everyone else easily. Didn't get whooped by fucking Purdue and didn't nearly lose to a shitty team like Maryland.

This proves how inconsistent the committee is. Last year Ohio States schedule was considerably tougher than Bama’s. We had way more quality victories and were conference champs but had 2 losses to Bamas 1. Who got in?

Note: I’m not saying we were better than Bama, we weren’t. But the point is their argument last year was “best team” this year it’s “most deserving”

We need an 8 team fucking playoff

This proves how inconsistent the committee is. Last year Ohio States schedule was considerably tougher than Bama’s. We had way more quality victories and were conference champs but had 2 losses to Bamas 1. Who got in?

Note: I’m not saying we were better than Bama, we weren’t. But the point is their argument last year was “best team” this year it’s “most deserving”

We need an 8 team fucking playoff

6 teams. I would say the conf championships really count as the first round anyway. 6 team playoff with #1 and 2 getting first round byes. Conf champion of the power 5 and a wild card.

While I understand that SOME athletes are at these schools for one reason only the VAST majority will never go to the next level. They have other shit to focus on because that degree and memories of their glory days will be all they have after college.

I agree with you guys saying 6 teams is ideal. It makes more sense than 8 (which kind of seems like too many) and rewards the top two with a bye. I think that aspect alone (first round bye) would make it more interesting than a 4 or 8 format

OSU lost to Iowa by like 40 points. Alabama's loss was to a top 5 team.

Still 2 losses. Is Florida going to play Michigan again in a bowl game?

Still 2 losses. Is Florida going to play Michigan again in a bowl game?

Unfortunately. Michigan always seems to have Florida's number so I'm not expecting a win. Florida still needs a QB before I can trust them to consistently beat good teams

Enjoy the playoffs next year Bama.

Laughable

Alabama 2019 schedule

Aug. 31 vs. Duke in Atlanta

Sept. 7 vs. New Mexico State

Sept. 14 at South Carolina

Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss

Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss

Oct. 5: Bye

Oct. 12 at Texas A&M

Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee

Oct. 26 vs. Arkansas

Nov. 2: Bye

Nov. 9 vs. LSU

Nov. 16 at Mississippi State

Nov. 23 vs. Western Carolina

Nov. 30 at Auburn

Enjoy the playoffs next year Bama.

Laughable

Alabama 2019 schedule

Aug. 31 vs. Duke in Atlanta

Sept. 7 vs. New Mexico State

Sept. 14 at South Carolina

Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss

Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss

Oct. 5: Bye

Oct. 12 at Texas A&M

Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee

Oct. 26 vs. Arkansas

Nov. 2: Bye

Nov. 9 vs. LSU

Nov. 16 at Mississippi State

Nov. 23 vs. Western Carolina

Nov. 30 at Auburn

Would not be surprised to see 6 of those teams ranked just to make bama/sec look better. Only Auburn, LSU and a coin flip between A&M and Miss St. should be.

Urban is gone? According to the first few mins of this podcast I listen to he's done. Cannot verify. Take it for what it's worth.

I've been thinking of this 4 vs 8 team playoff and have 2 ideas and tbh I'm not sure how well they'd work.

6 team playoff scenario:

#1 and 2 get first round byes. The conf chammpionships act as a defacto "first round" so there is still something to shoot for all season. The 6 spots go to the power 5 champs and a wild card. Committee has no say over the conf champs getting in but would rank them and pick the wild card. Only way ND gets in is to join and win a conf or hope the committee puts them in.

The largest drawback I can see is, as was kind of mentioned in that podcast, if Pitt had beat Clemson or NW won last weekend they would be in over the better team on a fluke. It could be said that team is playing better at that point, but I don't fully know if I like that scenario.

In the end I think 6 is the way to go even with the committee making the picks 100% but I like the conf champs getting the go ahead because it makes those games mean something again. If Saban wanted to he could've sat his entire starting squad to guarantee no injury or penalty preventing them from playing in the playoffs and still got in. If conf champ was the for sure he wouldn't. Again, this is all highly theoretical. I know Saban wouldn't have done that last week...although Tua wouldn't have gotten hurt if he had.

8 team playoff scenario:

This makes for a LONG playoff for a bunch of kids all for the sake of fans. I would suggest shortening the reg season by eliminating cupcake OOC teams. I know it would take awhile to take affect since schedules are made years in advance but if everyone played in conference only and a shorter season we could have a longer playoff.

Downside to this is smaller teams don't have a chance to upset someone and get themselves in the limelight. They kind of wouldn't have to though. With an 8 team playoff UCF gets in anyway.

I don't know if it will ever change or how but I'd like to see SOMETHING better than what we currently have.

I think something has to be done to make it more - not less - objective. Currently every single NC we have had in CFB is dependent either fully or partially on opinions.

Think about that for a second. Champions are determined by opinions. Can you imagine this flying in, say, the NFL? Think about how dumb of a concept this is. Yet somehow we are cool with it.

I like 6 team playoff, conference champs get automatic bid and 1 wildcard picked by committee. At least then it’s more objective.

In that scenario I’m fine with ND not joining a conference - which means they accept the risk of not having an automatic bid each year.

No matter if you make it 6..8..10..12..someone will still be po'ed they didn't make it

You have a team like UCF who I feel would beat ND but because of who they play will not make a 6 or maybe even an 8 team playoff schedule.

Of course I'm joking about the 10-12 team playoff thing as these kids are getting their asses beat every week..remember this is a collision sport not a contact sport

We are all po'ed because tOSU didn't make it but as I said before, we did it to ourselves by taking an ass whoooping at Purdue then looking lackadaisical against so many teams.

I

I like 6 team playoff, conference champs get automatic bid and 1 wildcard picked by committee. At least then it’s more objective.

In that scenario I’m fine with ND not joining a conference - which means they accept the risk of not having an automatic bid each year.

This is my fav scenario.

No matter if you make it 6..8..10..12..someone will still be po'ed they didn't make it

You have a team like UCF who I feel would beat ND but because of who they play will not make a 6 or maybe even an 8 team playoff schedule.

Of course I'm joking about the 10-12 team playoff thing as these kids are getting their asses beat every week..remember this is a collision sport not a contact sport

We are all po'ed because tOSU didn't make it but as I said before, we did it to ourselves by taking an ass whoooping at Purdue then looking lackadaisical against so many teams.

Someone can always be PO'd but at least with the 5 power conf champs getting in it negates a LOT of it. Nobody cared last year when UCF complained and nobody will this year.

Also I'm not mad tOSU didn't get in for the very reason you stated. I feel they were the better team but I'm not mad. There is a strong bias against tOSU so I kind of expected it anyway.

All of you who are worried about the kids ability to "hack it", scholastically or physically, need to stop insulting the D1 athletes. The FCS teams have a tournament where 24(!) teams get in. And these kids aren't even on scholarship!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

The reason we don't have an expanded playoff for the big boys is money, and nothing more.

All of you who are worried about the kids ability to "hack it", scholastically or physically, need to stop insulting the D1 athletes. The FCS teams have a tournament where 24(!) teams get in. And these kids aren't even on scholarship!!

The reason we don't have an expanded playoff for the big boys is money, and nothing more.

Came to post this. To paraphase Mike Leach, if a rec softball league can figure it out, why can't the NCAA?

FCS gives 63 full scholarship equivalents.

FCS gives 63 full scholarship equivalents.

Is that so? Interesting. I was under the impression they did not.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Division II has a 28 team tournament. And I'm pretty sure they actually DON'T provide "scholarship equivalents".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_Football_Championship

And, hey look at this, Division III invites 32 teams of completely un-incentivized scholar athletes to its tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_III_Football_Championship

So...apparently we only "care" about the poor athletes who are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, and with the better support and recovery system in place.

:dumb:

Is that so? Interesting. I was under the impression they did not.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Division II has a 28 team tournament. And I'm pretty sure they actually DON'T provide "scholarship equivalents".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_Football_Championship

And, hey look at this, Division III invites 32 teams of completely un-incentivized scholar athletes to its tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_III_Football_Championship

So...apparently we only "care" about the poor athletes who are bigger, stronger, faster, more talented, and with the better support and recovery system in place.

:dumb:

D II gives 32 full scholarship equivalents

That just means they can give 32 players full rides, 64 half rides, or any combo.

But yes, the DIII tourney is insane for a bunch of kids paying their own way and playing for fun.

To be fair though, a DIII National Championship season would be the exact same number of games as a P5 National Championship season (15)

YEAR 'ROUND FOOTBALL!!!

I'm all for whatever is an improvement. I think there is a big difference between FBS college football, FCS football,the NFL, and rec league softball though.

Money, the big difference is money.

A 6 team playoff is probably the best given there always seems to be the playoff 4 and 2 teams behind them that are right there as well. For example, Michigan really would have no business in the playoff this year in an 8 team format.

BUT for arguments sake you could...

-Take out conference championship games, take out conference divisions and select a conference champion the classic style. This will eliminate the chances a 4 or 5 loss team gets in (like Northwestern or Pitt)

-P5 conference champions get in (every conference is represented)

-3 at large bids (gives a team like UCF a shot)

BUT for arguments sake you could...

-Take out conference championship games, take out conference divisions and select a conference champion the classic style. This will eliminate the chances a 4 or 5 loss team gets in (like Northwestern or Pitt)

Only way you could do that is to have 9-10 team conferences and have "One True Champions" like the Big 12 did.

Conference championship games make too much money for the NCAA, that's why there is the joke of the Big 12 championship game now.

Remember when the big ten only had 11 teams and the NCAA said no to having a championship game? Pepperidge Farms remembers...and that's how we got Nebraska.

Now the NCAA realizes there's money to be had so let's have a conference championship even though the big 12 doesn't have the required 12 teams and 2 divisions.

It's not happening until you can prove to the NCAA the money is there.

Edited by o0n8
so it's clear what I'm responding to

I'm fine with a 5-loss conference champion getting in. If they made it to the conference championship and won it, then they deserve it. I remember mediocre Giants' teams squeaking into the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl each time. At least it's objective criteria that's being used.

6 spots, 5 conference champs, 1 at-large wildcard. The wildcard allows the human element to stay involved (because apparently we need that in college football to determine championships). ND can join a conference and get an auto bid or just chance it every year and hope they get the wildcard selection.