Let's Talk Racing Podcasts

wagner

I know not everyone is a fan of drag racing, so let's just make this about automotive/racing podcasts in general, but if you want to make a post directed about drag racing feel free.

What do you feel is critical in creating good content for an automotive/racing podcast?

How long is too long for a podcast?

What kind of guest lineup do you like to hear on a show?

Do you think a show is more fun to listen to when they take listener questions and use them on the show?

If you could create a automotive/racing podcast what would you want on it?

What do you feel is critical in creating good content for an automotive/racing podcast?

Entertaining hosts who are easy to listen to and are well informed.

How long is too long for a podcast?

1 hour is standard for the ones I regularly listen to. Mitch would say cap it at 10 minutes. If someone is interested they'll listen for an hour.

What kind of guest lineup do you like to hear on a show?

A wide variety. Folks from different walks of life, view points, etc, from the hosts.

Do you think a show is more fun to listen to when they take listener questions and use them on the show?

It really depends on the caller/content.

If you could create a automotive/racing podcast what would you want on it?

Hookers and blow.

buckhornpodcast.podbean.com always plug.

1. Personality’s matter as much as content.

2. See The buckhorn podcast as an example of what is too long and pretty much what not to do.

3. User participation/letters is good

4. Do the podcast drunk

:lolguy: Howard is super salty that he hasn't been asked to be a guest. It's ok, little fella, we'll have you on some day maybe. No we won't.

I enjoy facts with mild opinions about whatever they’re talking about. I don’t need to be told what to think by people. For example, telling me about a product, understand how it works and what it actually does (if not, bring in an expert who does), point out what it does differently then other products, then when you want to share you opinion just the few things that stand out. I hate rambling about what you personally do or don’t like, I could care less about an opinion podcast, I would be interested in someone telling interesting stories about their racing, or how they fixed something on the fly, I also wouldn’t mind hearing about new stuff or tried and true methods of making something work.

I enjoy facts with mild opinions about whatever they’re talking about. I don’t need to be told what to think by people. For example, telling me about a product, understand how it works and what it actually does (if not, bring in an expert who does), point out what it does differently then other products, then when you want to share you opinion just the few things that stand out. I hate rambling about what you personally do or don’t like, I could care less about an opinion podcast, I would be interested in someone telling interesting stories about their racing, or how they fixed something on the fly, I also wouldn’t mind hearing about new stuff or tried and true methods of making something work.

And that is the general idea we're going with. Covering stuff that doesn't get covered in the written word, fun stories, experts talking about subject matter areas.

The host's job for this podcast will be to draw out the info and keep things going. Now, there will be some opinion, but that's not the main focus at all.

Example would be having someone like Joe Rivera on from Pro Torque Torque Converters to talk about what they have going on, general converter talk, and answer reader questions.

We will have a segment where we talk about news of the week and give our take on it.

We will have a segment where a racer or personality from the sport comes on and we just talk, get stories from them, get their ideas on stuff, just general talk you would have.

There will be some other things thrown in there and we will adapt as needed based on feedback and results.

As someone who doesn’t have a lot of drag racing experience I think you could go in lots of different directions. I love history so having some seasoned racers on and telling stories about what it was like “back in the day” would be cool. The next week have a current racer and contrast the differences. History is always fun.

Keep the noobs in mind and come spring have a series discussing getting your car ready and basic mods. Just because it’s been written in every magazine doesn’t mean YOU have discussed it. Plus I get more from a back n forth discussion than an article.

Just keep it light and keep topics you don’t want out of discussion. You don’t want someone calling a racing podcast bashing a politician. An hour is good for length unless the guest is awesome. Keep the number of people on each episode to a reasonable number like 4 or less. Since everyone will be listening, having too many people gets confusing. Sometimes I’m wondering who’s talking on big podcast. It also keeps the focus on the hosts and it lets the listener get to “know” you better and relate to you. If they like you they will listen again. Consider putting up a basic website for the podcast with pictures of the hosts. I’ll look up podcasts and see the hosts as it gives me a face to listen to.

I could go on but I’m done pooping. Good luck!

Apples/iTunes algorithm to ranking takes into consideration minutes of time listened. Which is why a lot of podcasts lately are over an hour or two long. If they can get 30mins out of that it's better than just a 20 minute podcast. Although good context/content is the ultimate factor.

Going to record everything from my home office with a simple setup. I've done research on what I need so I will be good to go.

Nice. Congrats, man. Let us know your setup if you can/want to. I'd be interested to see what you're going with and see how our equipment compares.

Nice. Congrats, man. Let us know your setup if you can/want to. I'd be interested to see what you're going with and see how our equipment compares.

Based on how the show is going to be laid out my plan is to use Yetticaster setup as my mic, boom arm, and shock mount. I will record everything into my Zoom H5 recorder (still trying to finalize my cable setup). Will use Garage Band to edit everything together.

Congratulations on another step in your career.

Short and sweet answers, I tend to listen podcasts an hour or less. There are rare occasion that I’ll listen longer if it’s a road trip or something, but an hour or less is more doable.

I personally like listening to bullshit sessions more than technical discussion. Get a guy on who recently won an event and let him talk for a bit about what they did to prepare the car, what happened on the trip the the track, qualifying, between rounds, tell us about the final round, how did they celebrate the win, etc. just car guy stuff. Depending on the guest, those type of stories can be absolute gold. Also, like suggested above, seek out some retired legends. Have them tell stories about the glory days, ask them their opinion on the sport today. Bring in anyone involved in the sport, the crew has better stories than the drivers more often than not.

The only podcast I listen to that's talk is "Dinner with Racers". Really fun concept and while boring personalities make some of the episodes a little dry, some of the stories are amazing and stuff you'd never get otherwise.

Particularly interesting is the fact that these guys don't shy away from the fact that sports car racing's background with crooks, drug money and wild times back in the day.

Some of them go on for almost 2 hours and I don't mind it at all, but in general 1 hour is about the limit for my attention span.

• 2 weeks later...

Started purchasing equipment and will try to record a pilot podcast this week or next.

Ended up getting the Zoom H4n Pro as my recorder/interface. Raided Amazon for my mic stand, shock mount, and earphones. Going with a Samson Q2U mic to start with.

Played around with the Zoom yesterday and got it to record, just need to figure out settings. I was way to tired from PRI to really mess with it.

Going to use PodBean as the host since it has the best overall package for what we want to do.

One thing I'll add here....if you can, try to get the old timers in to tell stories. The 60's match racers are mostly dead and what few left are on borrowed time. It would be nice to get a recorded oral history of some of those guys before they are all gone. We lost Tom "the mongoose" Mcewen this year and I always thought an interview with him and Prudhome telling stories of the old snake and mongoose rivalry would have been great.

Danny "on the gas" Ongais is still alive and I betcha he'd be interesting since he was an a/fx racer that went to the Indy 500, and the only Hawaiian to do it. I think Bill Mitchell is still alive and his VW/Porsche dragsters being banned from the NHRA I think would be an interesting story.

• 2 months later...