2019 Jeep Gladiator

zeitgeist57

You guys like this huh? Just looks like they're going to compete with the Ridgeline. It must just be that Jeep thing I don't understand.

I don't understand why people pay $14-22k for side-by-side UTV's that can't be driven on the street. Must be a boys-and-their-toys, 96-month payment thing I don't understand. ;)

6ca06d8a-b7e2-4d78-af04-5d92b3128f5f-JP020_049GL.jpg?width=534&height=401&fit=bounds&auto=webp

I will agree 100% with everyone else that $50k is a lot, but I am still impressed by the stats...where else in the WORLD can you get a 4-door 4x4 where the roof and doors and windshield fold/come off, you still have a utility bed to haul, and have modern features and a warranty for $50k?

Maybe some of the above you can get on a '90s Defender? There's $35-75k right there for old tech. Some Land Cruiser-variant sold elsewhere in the world? Not as many open-air features and not available in the States.

Just impressive to see a manufacturer do all of this in one vehicle in 2019.

More impressive that neither GM nor Ford have even tried to take Jeep/FCA's market share. Bronco? Maybe, but it won't be as versatile. Blazer? Give me a f**king break.

Downside: Holy hell...that Gladiator looks LOOOOOOOONG...

I can't imagine base being $50K. Not everyone has to buy a fully tricked out top of the line Rubihara altitude yeti dragon special edition. esp when there isn't a difference in drivetrain from the base model to the rubicon.

you know what JK really made sense that I wish they would bring back? the Willys wheeler. Besides the cheesy graphics - the WW got real mechanical LSD in the rear axle (I honestly don't know why they sell jeeps with open difs), the rubicon wheels and tires, rock rails, and better shocks. None of the failure prone sway bar disconnect of the rubicon, and def none of it's mountain high price tag.

In 1995 I bought the most off road worthy wrangler Jeep sold at the time. It came with 3.55 axles, a mechanical LSD, and 190hp. The base model JL wrangler exceeds my old yj's capability in every aspect except the LSD, which is a $295 option ($500 if you want to add it aftermarket) on the JL. There will be people who will buy rubi-ators (watch, that name will become a thing jeep people love a good portmanteau) at $50K just as there are people who bough Brutes built out of converted unlimiteds at $70K, but I could see a $35-36K freedom, mike, lizard, edition selling very well to the masses and those people having a lot of fun (even with open diffs).

FWIW Clay, the old S series blazer was a halfway decent offroad rig, just as capable as an xj cherokee. It's too bad that GM gave up on suvs that are actually offroad capable, they used to make some nice ones - I had a 1995 S10 blazer and a 1999 Tahoe two door sport z71 and both were awesome.

Good points, Kerry. Haven't even talked about "special edition" Jeeps...for as crappy as their products/content can be, you have to give credit to Mopar for marketing the s**t out of their cars and trucks.

$35k honestly seems reasonable for a 300hp stick 4x4 with Dana 44s. I think the sweet spot for buying one will be off-lease: 2-4 years with less than 40k miles on them. Still some warranty, some depreciation taken off. A $35k Wrangler may still be $26-28k but it would be broken in with a new set of brakes/tires.

Still focused on Tesla first...

I remember a few years back driving a used 2012 Sport Wrangler with the older 3.8L 210hp V6. It was a noisy, awful-driving truck. Jumped in a new Rubicon with the 3.6L/6-speed and big tires and it rode and drove amazingly.

I remember a few years back driving a used 2012 Sport Wrangler with the older 3.8L 210hp V6. It was a noisy, awful-driving truck. Jumped in a new Rubicon with the 3.6L/6-speed and big tires and it rode and drove amazingly.

Clay you should drive my liberty. It’s a 2007 and has the 3.7 and 6mt. It’s weird to say the least. It lugs and has torque down load but is slow as a turd. It also has the biggest stick I’ve ever seen (yes..jokes) and is just awkward. But it was my dad’s and only has 46k miles.

Clay you should drive my liberty. It’s a 2007 and has the 3.7 and 6mt. It’s weird to say the least. It lugs and has torque down load but is slow as a turd. It also has the biggest stick I’ve ever seen (yes..jokes) and is just awkward. But it was my dad’s and only has 46k miles.

Believe me, my bar for a DD is pretty low. If it's got A/C and shouldn't break, that's good enough for me.

I was just amazed at:

1) How crappy the 3.8L Wrangler drove for how many people owned one

2) How much BETTER the 3.6L made the newer JL Wrangler behave (idle, accelerate, cruise)

the pentastar 3.6L engine made the 2012-2018 JK better too. It actually made all the cars it was put into that had the old 3.8L EGH better. I had a two rental chargers back to back where one had the 3.5L dohc and the other the 3.6 and the 3.6 was better too.

The EGH engine was designed to power FWD K cars and mini-vans. It was a pushrod, old tech, v6 that's only credit was that it was reliable enough to carry chrysler through the minivan heyday of the mid 1990s. If you drove a chrysler minivan between 1990 and 2010, this workhorse did the (slow) pulling.

Jeeps, esp wranglers, are crude. that's their charm. Low technology, low comfort, and marginal fit and finish add to the "ruggedness" of the vehicle. Its loud inside because you can take the doors off and it has no sound deadening under the carpet so you can hose it out. People associate crude with "should cost less" but because of their "charm" they are desirable and that drives the price up.

Are jeeps overpriced, yes. But that doesn't mean they aren't a unique experience and fun.

Good points, Kerry. Haven't even talked about "special edition" Jeeps...for as crappy as their products/content can be, you have to give credit to Mopar for marketing the s**t out of their cars and trucks.

$35k honestly seems reasonable for a 300hp stick 4x4 with Dana 44s. I think the sweet spot for buying one will be off-lease: 2-4 years with less than 40k miles on them. Still some warranty, some depreciation taken off. A $35k Wrangler may still be $26-28k but it would be broken in with a new set of brakes/tires.

Still focused on Tesla first...

Sport will likely be dana 35s and the 44s reserved for the rubicon.

Sport will likely be dana 35s and the 44s reserved for the rubicon.

Eh....not quite

Jeep's new axles are the m186, m200, and m220. The numbers refer to the size of the ring gear but for the purposes of our discussion m186= d30, m200= d35, and m220= d44.

The m220 is available as an option on all jeeps, for a while FCA was including it on any LSD option. The Rubicon gets a wider m220 and larger wheel openings to clear the factory 33" tall tires. You'll still need a lift to run 35" tires though. So if you are worried about not having the strongest axles, you can pay to have them on your non-rubicon.

Although people are calling it a D35, the m200 really isn't. The old Dana 35 had a 7.5" ring gear where as the new one has about an 8" ring gear. Also the tubes have a large C gusset to strengthen the housing. I believe the axle shafts are thicker too. But to be honest, does the D35 really have that bad a reputation? Most of the ones I have seen broken were guys running 35-37" tires on 5" of lift in their TJ. I've had a D35 under my YJ with 30" tires since new and at approx 150k miles I've not had an axle failure. Sure the old tracklok burned out and the shock mounts broke, but no failure in the ring, pinion, or axles.

Finally on the front the axle has switched from a low pinion to a high pinion. This means less stress on the axle overall and a stronger front setup.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/1707-nuts-and-bolts-high-vs-low-pinion/

If you are going to hardcore wheel and stick big tires on your rig then yeah it probably makes sense to buy a rubicon. Otherwise, a sport or Sarah with LSD and m220 axle upgrades is probably fine. Although...if you are really going to hard core rock climb your rig, then forget about a rubicon, buy a base model JL and put D60s or portal axles in the thing and forget about the electronic swaybar disconnect.

again, I should point out the YJ and TJs came stock with 28" tall tires (225/75R15) and 3.08 gears (3.55 optional) and the TJ rubicon had 30" tires and 3.73 gears. Now a base model JL comes stock with 31.5" tires (245/75R17) and a 3.45 gear ratio, with an optional 3.73 and the Rubicon gets a 4.10. so even the base model jeep JL is almost as good as the best the TJ had to offer.

Edited by Geeto67

• 4 months later...
Damn...$140-300/month lease is a heck of a deal, though that's not a lot of miles. 86% residual value is pretty incredible.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/04/looking-to-get-into-a-jeep-gladiator-on-the-cheap-keep-an-eye-on-lease-offers/

yeah but NEVER put money down as a cap-cost reduction on a lease. doing so defeats the purpose of leasing. that will bump your payment to about $300mo for 24mos but that time will FLY by. I love 24mo leases but for the past 15 or so years the days of higher residuals have been replaced with low rates. Still a hell of deal. Even if you go over your miles by 2,000 per year you're only adding about $40mo to the total cost of payment. I always push the limits on miles because it's worth it. In this case you won't trade or sell it but most of the time you will. Key is would you still drive a Sport 3.6l 6 speed for $340mo for 24mos? I think they are banking on these initial returns to sell for high dollars still.

Cool truck but it's a solution to a problem I don't have.

Saw two of them on the transporter this afternoon. Kinda remind me of the Hummer.

And speaking of Hummers, I must have saw at least 20 of them heading north on I71. Are we invading Canada?

Likely just annual convoy training where half the fucking vehicles break down because they do nothing but sit all year.