New project - 1982 928

supldys

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1034&pictureid=9226

Its been sitting about 3 years, and doesnt run...yet

But the body is rust free and I got an awesome price for it. Hopefully I get it ready by spring time

I always liked those cars until a friend bought one and told me how big a heap of shit it is. It wasn't in great condition from the start though, so there's that.

So what are your plans/goals? Just get it running and enjoy it? Mod it into a track car?

I always liked those cars until a friend bought one and told me how big a heap of shit it is. It wasn't in great condition from the start though, so there's that.

So what are your plans/goals? Just get it running and enjoy it? Mod it into a track car?

Eh, unfortunately it's auto. But there are a good supply of 5speeds out there to see out if I ever get bored.

It's my extra car so step 1 is get it running, then step 2 is figure out what else I want to do with it, and step 3 is profit.

Any ideas? (Besides a Vette Ls and 6 speed swap, that is already on the list somewhere)

It's my extra car so step 1 is get it running, then step 2 is figure out what else I want to do with it, and step 3 is profit.

Any ideas? (Besides a Vette Ls and 6 speed swap, that is already on the list somewhere)

As long as I can still stomp you in a drag race. ;)

epic fail getting an auto

really neat cars, a few autox with us and aren't fast by modern standards, but they keep up and don't seem to have any issues? they sound great uncorked too, hope you got one with an LSD

some things are very $$$ to fix, good luck

Thes 928s are really spectacular cars. Forget the LS swap, take your time and work through all the issues the Porsche v8 is going to throw at you - it's going to be a lot but nothing is hard and once done the car will be super reliable.

While I am usually an autolol guy too, the fact that you have a 928 at all is special. There is a group here in columbus called the buckeye landsharks, they are tight knit and only touch these cars, there always seems to be at least one member at cars and coffee in the summer. http://www.928buckeyelandsharks.com/

the thing about the 928 is, in the era that it was produced there weren't a lot of 150mph all day grand tourers being made. It was basically this car, the jaguar xjs, Astonmartin V8 vantage, and the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 and that is pretty much it until 1984 when the testarossa and c4 corvette came along (and neither of those had back seats). So it is in good company.

As a racecar, the 928 made a better endurance racer and long distance road rally car than a hardcore sprint racer. As a street car this translates to a good "Adventure car" to take long distance high speed trips with and just have fun.

Iirc, the body is aluminum so rust will not be a problem.

The doors hood and front fenders are aluminum, the rest of the body is steel. It's supposed to be galvanized steel but porsche didn't really step up their galvanizing game until 1987 so it's not uncommon to see really rotted ones.

1) Get it running.

2) Figure out what else I want to do with it.

3) ???

4) Profit.

FTFY.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/113/324/PxCj4.gif?1302641091

:lol: Never seen that reversed.

You know.

Why do you and I have a penchant for oddball shit? You're worse than I am, though. Good luck with it. :)

You know I hate pumpkin spice, I gotta keep it weird.

Thes 928s are really spectacular cars. Forget the LS swap, take your time and work through all the issues the Porsche v8 is going to throw at you - it's going to be a lot but nothing is hard and once done the car will be super reliable.

While I am usually an autolol guy too, the fact that you have a 928 at all is special. There is a group here in columbus called the buckeye landsharks, they are tight knit and only touch these cars, there always seems to be at least one member at cars and coffee in the summer. http://www.928buckeyelandsharks.com/

the thing about the 928 is, in the era that it was produced there weren't a lot of 150mph all day grand tourers being made. It was basically this car, the jaguar xjs, Astonmartin V8 vantage, and the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 and that is pretty much it until 1984 when the testarossa and c4 corvette came along (and neither of those had back seats). So it is in good company.

As a racecar, the 928 made a better endurance racer and long distance road rally car than a hardcore sprint racer. As a street car this translates to a good "Adventure car" to take long distance high speed trips with and just have fun

Dude that's some great info, I'll definitely check them out. I always liked the looks of these cars but the more I learn about them, the more I like. Plus Jeremy Clarkson owned one, so they've gotta be good

Give the guy a break, the 7 speed PDKs in those shift faster than a manual and usually allow for really impressive acceleration figures also.

My 82 had a 3 spd auto.

They are unique cars. Fun to drive. I actually liked my auto better than the manual. The clutch placement felt awkward.