Winter Snopocalypse Storm Trogdor - RIP 1/19/19

wagner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A meteorologist this morning finally put predictions into words that made sense: predicting a storm and claiming to know where, when, and how hard, it will hit is like someone throwing a tennis ball over a house trying to make it into a bucket on the other side with you standing next to them telling them whether they will make it or not while it's still in the air.

Even the professionals at this point are like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I've been using Weather Underground for a few years now, and by far - as a lifelong weather buff - it has been the most accurate:

I've got a Mad River trip with a bunch of 8-12yo girls and dads, and we're concerned about driving on Saturday: 2" of snow tomorrow, with 9" of snow forecast for Saturday.

Of more concern is the bottom falling out on the thermostat on Sunday and Monday. Make sure your cars have a 50/50 mix of coolant!

FYI, National weather service is affected by the gov't shutdown, so getting an accurate report out of anything right now is about as accurate as a magic 8 ball. This is on top of Randy's analogy for how tough it is to predict the weather normally.

FYI, National weather service is affected by the gov't shutdown, so getting an accurate report out of anything right now is about as accurate as a magic 8 ball. This is on top of Randy's analogy for how tough it is to predict the weather normally.

Weather Underground uses a national network of privately-operated, commercially-available weather stations to monitor and forecast weather. Forecasting is still an art more than a science, but I'm just saying the only thing it's been wrong on is a few degrees off of high-low temps.

I wouldn't rely on it providing data around the globe or what the oceans are doing thousands of miles away...but it's perfect for predicting Columbus weather a week out.

Please change the title of this to Snowpocolyse 2019 so we can build a bit more hype

Done and done. It's important that we instill fear in CR in order for them to act rationally.

:gabe:

Watched the weather channel last night and came to the following conclusion: There's a 100% chance they have no idea what will happen.

Yep. Still not sure. I see 2-9" right now across different services