Fishing thread 2019

Mojoe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring fed ponds are commonly what are on farms. Pretty self sustaining at keeping things in balance. My pond was made for a geothermal pump and dump system that was put in back in the 80's. Easy for things to get out of control when it's just a big puddle of water. When you want to have it for fish to thrive in, you have to be the one to keep things in balance. Managing the thermocline, oxygen levels, muck and algae are main challenges. From there, what's taking from your pond? Harron's, turtle's, muskrats are all competition to my fishing efforts. Don't let the cattails get out of control. Those are always fun to deal with too.

Ponds that are over an acre are often easier to manage because they balance themselves better, unless you get an algae issue or something else, like duckweed.

Agreed Joe,

Use multiple items to keep my lil pond clean:

Algae rake when it is out of control

Algaefix when the amur's/dye are not enough

Blue dye to slow algae growth

Amur's (a neutered fish that eats algae)

Catplex for the cat tails

Special tablets to keep the top water muck down (tractor Supply unsure the name)

Fountain/aerator to keep oxygen in the water

Definitely not self maintaining when smaller and not spring fed.

Pond management is something I'm considering for a retirement gig. I'll have 10 years of working it by then. Still have a lot that I could learn. I'm sure I'll end up in a few courses from Hocking College for more info.
That would be really cool. You can practice on mine, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk