New (2020?) Ford Bronco

zeitgeist57

In the time that Ford has been teasing the bronco, Jeep took from rumor to showroom the jeep gladiator. When Jeep, a brand that is notorious for being stodgy and slow to innovate, beats you to the punch it should probably be a wake up call that your process sucks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the time that Ford has been teasing the bronco, Jeep took from rumor to showroom the jeep gladiator. When Jeep, a brand that is notorious for being stodgy and slow to innovate, beats you to the punch it should probably be a wake up call that your process sucks.

I'll agree with you if the Bronco ends up being a flop. Coming from the same company that did the Raptor, I'm hoping Ford took their time to make this thing the right way. I'm giving bonus stars to Ford for being the only major OEM to produce any sort of competitor to the Wrangler for the first time since the '80s/90s.

Granted, Hoonigan took two Icon-modified off-roaders - the new Ranger and a Gladiator - around a dirt track in Utah, and on 37"s that Gladiator looked like it just ate up the dirt and jumps with ease...the Bronco is going to have to come out swinging.

And yet, at the same time, has talked about a new Grand Wagoneer for 10 years.

I'm not naive to think that any company is completely incompetent, it usually aligns more to a desire to do the product RIGHT, because if you flop at launch in a competitive class (like trucks, SUVs, Wrangler competitors) then you blew your shot for the next 5 years, minimum.

Any delay to the Bronco is probably a desire to do the vehicle as good as possible to compete with Jeep, as well as aligning with internal platform timelines.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bronco who? They've been pushing this shit for 10 years. If it doesnt come with a supercharged V8 / big boy motor option, it's just another shitty Econobox. Its an enthusiast car, build it for enthusiasts. Give the people what they want.

Jeep on the other hand did just that. Including the Trackhawk. These cars make no sense, but they will keep me coming back to Jeep if they keep making them.

Dont get me started with my 18 Raptor. What a hunk of shit that thing was. How hard is this? Supercharged V8 or TT V8. Otherwise dont show up. This eco boost bullshit doesnt work.

bronco who? They've been pushing this shit for 10 years. If it doesnt come with a supercharged V8 / big boy motor option, it's just another shitty Econobox. Its an enthusiast car, build it for enthusiasts. Give the people what they want.

Jeep on the other hand did just that. Including the Trackhawk. These cars make no sense, but they will keep me coming back to Jeep if they keep making them.

Dont get me started with my 18 Raptor. What a hunk of shit that thing was. How hard is this? Supercharged V8 or TT V8. Otherwise dont show up. This eco boost bullshit doesnt work.

We're just going to Hellcat everything.

And yet, at the same time, has talked about a new Grand Wagoneer for 10 years.

I'm not naive to think that any company is completely incompetent, it usually aligns more to a desire to do the product RIGHT, because if you flop at launch in a competitive class (like trucks, SUVs, Wrangler competitors) then you blew your shot for the next 5 years, minimum.

Any delay to the Bronco is probably a desire to do the vehicle as good as possible to compete with Jeep, as well as aligning with internal platform timelines.

Grand wagoner is vaporware. It will never happen. Shoukd have called the commander the wagoner, and then hellcat-ed that.

But they have been talking about a new bronco since 1997. Heck the concept ford is working off of is from 2004. I'm all for taking your time and getting it right, and I am actually excited to see something back in the market that isn't a jeep but is a real midsize SUV since the blazer, FJ cruiser, and explorer all either died or went to crossover purgatory. But come on ford, enough already... Let's see something besides muddy car covers and vague patent drawings.

Also I'm with panduh, v8 option or GTFO.

Grand wagoner is vaporware. It will never happen. Shoukd have called the commander the wagoner, and then hellcat-ed that.

But they have been talking about a new bronco since 1997. Heck the concept ford is working off of is from 2004. I'm all for taking your time and getting it right, and I am actually excited to see something back in the market that isn't a jeep but is a real midsize SUV since the blazer, FJ cruiser, and explorer all either died or went to crossover purgatory. But come on ford, enough already... Let's see something besides muddy car covers and vague patent drawings.

Also I'm with panduh, v8 option or GTFO.

That's hilarious, considering the old Commander was out of production before the Hellcat was even on paper. Plus, it sucked and was not worthy of the GW name, IMO.

It's been talked about for a long time, plans have changed many times, since Sergio was keen on having models pure to their brand and nameplate. Not vaporware, though. You'll find pictures of mules on the internets that claim to be GW mules.

That's hilarious, considering the old Commander was out of production before the Hellcat was even on paper. Plus, it sucked and was not worthy of the GW name, IMO.

It's been talked about for a long time, plans have changed many times, since Sergio was keen on having models pure to their brand and nameplate. Not vaporware, though. You'll find pictures of mules on the internets that claim to be GW mules.

I just liked the way the commander looked. Like a Cherokee that got fat. I thought the reason the commander sucked was it was underpowered, was the hemi even out when they were out? Or was it magnum powered? SRT8 commander would have been fun.

Still I think 22 years of bronco teasing wins.

I just liked the way the commander looked. Like a Cherokee that got fat. I thought the reason the commander sucked was it was underpowered, was the hemi even out when they were out? Or was it magnum powered? SRT8 commander would have been fun.

Still I think 22 years of bronco teasing wins.

It had a 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7 (HEMI).

It sucked, IMO, because they all got horrible mileage, interior was too plasticy, and the 3rd row was useless. It was not to a level of luxury that represents the Grand Wagoneer nameplate. Original conjecture (circa 2010) had it based on the Durango, but that was killed and is why there is a Citadel and Citadel Anodized Platinum trim package.

• 9 months later...

I’ve been digesting some of the data and pictures....so much to unwrap with the Bronco and Bronco Sport but I think they absolutely hit the ball out of the park with this.

The ONLY thing that concerns me is some of Ford’s recent quality issues, especially around the manual transmissions. I really do love the styling and packages.

Awesome that you can get the sasquatch package on the base trim.

Even though I knew it'd be this way I was still bummed that the manual is 2.3T only and not available on the 2.7T.

Otherwise, love it, specifically in 2 door guise.

Love everything about this. It kills me to hear people I work with underestimate the competition based on preconceived notions. And they often for emotional or unfounded reasons. It's usually people earlier in their career, but sometimes those without a wide breadth of experience. Every maker is working form the same playbook and they all have some really smart, clever and driven people. The moment you assume the competition can not make a good product is the moment you will make one that is not as good as them. They didn't make a better product, you just made a worse one because you thought they would too.

Ford and FCA are smart: make an off-roader be part of the product mix to fund and develop a very modular mid-size truck chassis. Ford was also smart to brand a CUV at the same time with Bronco Sport. No one is talking about that little guy right now over the noise with the Bronco rollout, but the pics show a ton of character from the smaller CUV in a crowded but immensely profitable space.

Again, disappointed in GM for lagging. They’ll still make money off of big trucks and re-hashed CUV versions of the Blazer, Trax, etc...but Ford is going to sell as many Bronco’s as they can build for years to come (again, as long as there aren’t any glaring product issues).

Ford and FCA are smart: make an off-roader be part of the product mix to fund and develop a very modular mid-size truck chassis. Ford was also smart to brand a CUV at the same time with Bronco Sport. No one is talking about that little guy right now over the noise with the Bronco rollout, but the pics show a ton of character from the smaller CUV in a crowded but immensely profitable space.

Again, disappointed in GM for lagging. They’ll still make money off of big trucks and re-hashed CUV versions of the Blazer, Trax, etc...but Ford is going to sell as many Bronco’s as they can build for years to come (again, as long as there aren’t any glaring product issues).

The Sport does look interesting as well and is meant to compete with the Cherokee. Ford was smart to launch the Bronco as a sub-brand of vehicles to take on Jeep, while GM will re-launch Hummer as an all EV brand to head off Rivian and Tesla. I dont think Hummer will be stealing any Jeep purists, but Bronco definitely might. GM has also been adding "off-road" versions of their GMC products that look to compete with Jeep Trailhawk trim levels, but I don't think thats going to be as effective as Bronco.

It’s not like the newer wranglers set the bar high. This should be easily better in every way and people wont wave at you either.
Well, the JL is an improvement over JK, and they were the only one in that market, so there was more consideration to not upset the purists, as opposed to making massive changes to expand market.

The Bronco does have a good powertrain line up, though there are still people who have the EcoBoost in the F150.

https://jalopnik.com/why-jeeps-new-v8-jeep-wrangler-wont-distract-us-from-th-1844363501

This is what I was hoping the Bronco would encourage. the JK and JL should have had a v8 option this whole time, so much so the aftermarket came up with a bunch of ways to do it and even one that was sold turn key (AEV Brute). I am happy.

I am going to revise my previous statement, I don't think the Bronco needs a v8 - the ecotech 2.3 and 2.7 will probably be fine, as long as they can figure out a manual for the 2.7.