Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that’s true then we really need to take a session and sip things like Weller, Blantons, oki, Blaum, Belle Meade, and distinguish/discuss what it is that we are tasting (before we start cracking 500-1500 dollar bottles).

Mainly for the fact that you have to be able to know what you are “experiencing”.

Warning: the byproduct may be a snobby palate where you say “Blantons is low proof corn-forward garbage”.

Completely agree. Probably a good start.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If that’s true then we really need to take a session and sip things like Weller, Blantons, oki, Blaum, Belle Meade, and distinguish/discuss what it is that we are tasting (before we start cracking 500-1500 dollar bottles).

In.

Warning: the byproduct may be a snobby palate where you say “Blantons is low proof corn-forward garbage”.

I've had more expensive. Heartily laugh and disagree but I do think that Blanton's is overrated...as are some of the more expensive ones I've tasted. That's just my amateur palate though. I'm def open to learning and experiencing more.

Also, Bourbon, by definition, is "corn forward".

Here’s some education.

“Corn forward” is a term used to describe a bourbon where it is noticeably too young when bottled and other desired tastes/attributes have not had time to develop.

Thus... Blantons didn’t taste like it was corn-forward in 2016 because they were likely bottling it when it was 7-8 years old. Today, they may be bottling it at 5-6 years because of the demand. And... it would not be as mature or complex. It’s true.... it tastes more like fresh buttery popcorn today than it did back then when it had spice and oak notes.

Ok, Bob. We've met, I "know" you and you I, and I have been tasting and reviewing (as an amateur) bourbon awhile now, but you have me intrigued.

Let's set this up. I'm ALL for learning more and open to the idea that I am not, have not, and will not, be an authority on bourbon and would always like to learn more. The day you stop learning is the day you die, right? I have a lot to learn yet.

Edited by Otis Nice

Here’s some education.

“Corn forward” is a term used to describe a bourbon where it is noticeably too young when bottled and other desired tastes/attributes have not had time to develop.

Thus... Blantons didn’t taste like it was corn-forward in 2016 because they were likely bottling it when it was 7-8 years old. Today, they may be bottling it at 5-6 years because of the demand. And... it would not be as mature or complex. It’s true.... it tastes more like fresh buttery popcorn today than it did back then when it had spice and oak notes.

So what are you enjoying on a regular basis?

Ok, Bob. We've met, I "know" you and you I, and I have been tasting and reviewing (as an amateur) bourbon awhile now, but you have me intrigued.

Let's set this up. I'm ALL for learning more and open to the idea that I am not, have not, and will not, be an authority on bourbon and would always like to learn more. The day you stop learning is the day you die, right? I have a lot to learn yet.

Sounds like a plan. Let’s do a Zfriday night just in case we drink too much!

So what are you enjoying on a regular basis?

I typically try to drink heaven hill products.

Elijah Craig Barrel proof

William HeavenHill 12, 14, 16

Older Parker’s Heritage stuff

The newer Old Fitzgerald Decanters 11, 13, 14, 15

Old Ezra 7 year barrel proof

And then... of course... Willett bottles that is sourced Heaven Hill product.

I typically try to drink heaven hill products.

Elijah Craig Barrel proof

William HeavenHill 12, 14, 16

Older Parker’s Heritage stuff

The newer Old Fitzgerald Decanters 11, 13, 14, 15

Old Ezra 7 year barrel proof

And then... of course... Willett bottles that is sourced Heaven Hill product.

The EC stuff is very good stuff. I found some A119 in Pittsburgh a few months ago by pure luck. It's my favorite by far. I've had B518 and have a sample of C919 from my neighbor. Both good, but I keep going back to my bottle.

The EC stuff is very good stuff. I found some A119 in Pittsburgh a few months ago by pure luck. It's my favorite by far. I've had B518 and have a sample of C919 from my neighbor. Both good, but I keep going back to my bottle.
There is some A117 on Max right now6535ddd5d41a3adc1a04dc784eb728ca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes =

Of the “under 25.00” they did a decent job. I agree with Buffalo Trace, Old Grandad 114, WT101, and Evan Williams Single barrel.

Of the “under 50”, rare breed is the clear winner with 1792 Full proof lagging. However, some full proof picks have been great. On the converse side, Johnny Drum is undrinkable.

Then, things spiral out of control at “under 100”. They post a picture of Henry McKenna. That’s a 30-50 dollar bottle. Would fit better under the 50-heading. They post a picture of bookers 30th... retails for 199.00 and secondary is 425.00. Weller 12 is a 35.00 bottle that has a secondary value of 150.00 to which... neither value fulfilled the category (given there is an “under-50” category.

And finally, at “100+” they post a picture of Elmer T Lee that retails for 39.99. And, the rest are mostly unicorns. To which... one could argue “cost more than 100 considering their secondary value”. However, that is just not how the article is slated.

Yeah. interesting article, but I wouldn't take that for anything of substantial information or evidence of what to buy.

Again, there's no bourbon over $100 that tastes any better than most anything between $25-100. I'll hold to that until proven wrong.

I just like that I can always get Makers 46 anywhere, anytime.

I like 46 but when I had angels envy(finished rye)..that stuff is remarkable.

So how does everyone feel about blended whiskys?

I think crown and its many varieties( especially XO and reserve) are pretty darn good sippers

I like 46 but when I had angels envy(finished rye)..that stuff is remarkable.

So how does everyone feel about blended whiskys?

I think crown and its many varieties( especially XO and reserve) are pretty darn good sippers

They are usually low proof and lack depth. However, they make great mixers!

I tried the Woodford Reserve master's collection, "chocolate malted rye" last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. Initial vanilla and char flavors make for a smooth sip, but the cocoa finish is pretty amazing. It really sticks with you after the oaky tastes are gone.

Definitely not an everyday drinker, but I'd like to pick up a bottle to keep around, the flavor profile is definitely a conversation piece.

47f49e8280c9fff7a6753362b242aceb.jpg