What's it worth? 1973 Jeep CJ-5

zeitgeist57

So a friend of mine that I've helped work on his '86 CJ-7 let me know that he has a neighbor who owns a 1973 CJ-5. He's had it for 20 years, stored mostly in a rental-house garage he owns near campus. With himself being an empty-nester, he's thinking about selling as he never drives it anymore I'm curious what CR bros in the off-roading space think of the value...

- 2 owner, 46k original miles. Owner is either son or knows original owner.

- Originally family farm jeep, has some dents and scratches but clearly parked inside: Some rust but very few holes. Floorboards will need replaced. Frame rusty in spots but currently solid.

- Old-school Warn winch, cast-aluminum finned housing. Selectro locking hubs. Leaf springs sagging but newer tires, drum brake rebuilds and shocks.

- 232 (3.8L) straight-6, 3speed manual. Runs well but carb coughs when warmed up. Lots of leaks in drivetrain but in good running condition.

- Front seats only. No carpet, no top, no doors, no radio. Heater does not work. Wiring is good and all lights work. Speedo works but Fuel and coolant temp gauges are inop.

- Many newer parts over the last 5 years, but barely a couple thousand miles since then.

He has two sons, but both are in their 20s and living in apartments...owner knows they won't be able to store/use this without it getting destroyed by the weather. I love the story behind this little runner and my kids went out of their minds when they saw it. I'd love to buy it, throw a rear seat in it, keep it in the garage or carport and shoot around town in it on nice days, but admittedly I need another car project like I need a hole in the head. Would be cool to fold the windshield down and go get some ice cream with the kiddos! I spent about an hour around it and driving it, and really fell in love with how scrappy it felt. Reminded me of my old Suzuki Samurai...

In UA, it's difficult to grade value for something like this because it's very patina'd to the point of car guys thinking it's cool, but it lacks any sort of comforts that a wife would want. I told him I consider it to be similar to a road-worthy golf cart, and it'd be worth about $4k. Even if I didn't buy it, the owner was happy that I'd try to find a buyer. He's still thinking about whether he keeps it or not...but I'm hoping to hear from him before 4th of July if he wants to sell. He really has no idea what to price it at as everything online is usually shiny/restored or has a lot more amenities.

TL;DR - Any ideas what a banged-up early CJ-5 is worth in very-close-to-original condition?

Depending on amount of body/ floor rust and frame rust obviously

It will need engine checked out at minimum carb but probably entire fuel system

Tires I assume are well past the age of needing replaced

Ballpark $1500-2000

Based on the description, I think $4k is high but $2500-3500 could be reasonable.

I know we’re all car guys, and that sounds super cool, but for a spare run around vehicle mostly for time with the kids, just get a turn key TJ. You get the same feeling of an outdated shitwagon, but slightly less outdated.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! FWIW, we exchanged contact info but he hasn't responded if he's interested in selling. Might be awhile on this.

Based on the description, I think $4k is high but $2500-3500 could be reasonable.

I know we’re all car guys, and that sounds super cool, but for a spare run around vehicle mostly for time with the kids, just get a turn key TJ. You get the same feeling of an outdated shitwagon, but slightly less outdated.

I hear ya...but from my searching, I'd be lucky to find a $4k TJ that's not riddled with rust and has 150k+ miles on it. I am ALWAYS interested when someone through CC&C or my friends/family in UA come to me with an "off-the-market" car they don't know what to do with. That's how I got my '01 Silverado! I'm not even in the Jeep market as I've got 4 cars, but if it's got a great story and I can buy for less than market value, I'm definitely down to buy. :thumbup:

An excerpt from one of my favorite videos: Chris Harris captures the joy of motoring in old junk so well!

I've never seen a stock cj5 outside a car show, why? Because bone stock they are terrible as a car ( great farm implements though).

Honestly, as a put put that you have to garage to keep from melting back into the Ohio soil from whence it came, it's probably worth $1500 to you.

To a jeep nerd? If it's as nice as you say, $3k tops but finding a jeep nerd who wants a stock cj5 is like finding a 17 year old virgin in New Jersey - very difficult and when you do you don't want to be around them. Most "jeep" people will just cut it up because it's not a cj7, and there is little value in a CJ jeep that isn't a flat fender, isn't a cj7 or 8, and can barely hold 55mph.

If I were you clay, see if he'd take between $1500-2000 for it and then take it to trail quest and have the floors patched with restoration panels. Then put it on replica military truck tires and drive it to cars and coffee with a for sale sign on it every weekend till it sells for $4k

I've never seen a stock cj5 outside a car show, why? Because bone stock they are terrible as a car ( great farm implements though).

Honestly, as a put put that you have to garage to keep from melting back into the Ohio soil from whence it came, it's probably worth $1500 to you.

To a jeep nerd? If it's as nice as you say, $3k tops but finding a jeep nerd who wants a stock cj5 is like finding a 17 year old virgin in New Jersey - very difficult and when you do you don't want to be around them. Most "jeep" people will just cut it up because it's not a cj7, and there is little value in a CJ jeep that isn't a flat fender, isn't a cj7 or 8, and can barely hold 55mph.

If I were you clay, see if he'd take between $1500-2000 for it and then take it to trail quest and have the floors patched with restoration panels. Then put it on replica military truck tires and drive it to cars and coffee with a for sale sign on it every weekend till it sells for $4k

Kerry knows his jeeps, I do value your opinions!

I’m going to text the owner to see if he’s thought anymore about selling it. Good call from everyone on the value not being a lot...there’s just not much to work with here. :lol: also to add, there’s not much room between the steering wheel and the not-very-adjustable drivers seat.

JU2HiRLl.jpg

Is that an actual pic of it? If so it's nicer than I thought it would be. Usually when a jeep guy describes rust you can put a hand through an exterior body panel.

I don't think the cj5 was a power steering jeep, so the big wheel is a must. As for sliding in sideways, yep that's just how you get in and out of old jeeps. There are things you can do to make more room if you need it. With the cj7 you can use YJ sliders and seat platforms but I don't know if you can with cj5s.

Is that an actual pic of it? If so it's nicer than I thought it would be. Usually when a jeep guy describes rust you can put a hand through an exterior body panel.

I don't think the cj5 was a power steering jeep, so the big wheel is a must. As for sliding in sideways, yep that's just how you get in and out of old jeeps. There are things you can do to make more room if you need it. With the cj7 you can use YJ sliders and seat platforms but I don't know if you can with cj5s.

My 79 cj5 has power steering. I also added the YJ seats with a slider to make it easier to get in and out of. Definitely a pain in the ass.

My 79 cj5 has power steering. I also added the YJ seats with a slider to make it easier to get in and out of. Definitely a pain in the ass.

is it factory power steering? I've never had a cj5, only 7's and YJs (and XJs and SJs), although considering how much on the later ones comes out of the AMC parts bin it wouldn't surprise me if it was an option. I had a buddy with a manual steering cj5 and he put in PS when he swapped to a 304 amc engine.