WTB: Zero Turn Mower

Sully

I recently moved to a property with a shit-ton of trees. Mowing is not fun on a standard rider and takes twice as long as it should.

I've been watching CL and Martketplace for a zero turn, but they all seem to have broken junk. Thought I'd check if anyone here is selling one or knows someone selling one. I'm looking for approximately a 50"; could be smaller or larger, and not asking an arm and a leg. Let me know what you got.

Thanks!

Spent $5k on one from Hustler (Raptor SD 60") from JD Eeuipment and really happy. Plows through smaller trees and the seat dampens the bumps alot (But if a rough property it will still shake your innards). Kohler Pro motor and commercial deck.

May want to think about that instead of a used one beat to hell.

I bought a Big Dog this season, which is hustlers other line. Literally the same mowers but red instead of orange/yellow. I've been very happy with it. Lots of optional accessories and features. Upgrade the seat, they'll give you a good trade in towards your old one when it's new.

Bought mine at Kuhn turf equipment if you're on the east side. Very happy with the service as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Usually few and far between with these, most use and abuse them till they’re dead, and the the few that are for sale in fair condition go for quite a bit. I have purchased 2 52” over the years used and both needed lots of work. If I were cutting an acre or over I would definately go new.

If its a big enoigh property why not get a multi use tractor with mower deck?

I thought about that, but I wouldn't be able to get under all of the trees, so I'd still need a smaller mower. I don't need all the fanciness of a multi-use tractor.

Usually few and far between with these, most use and abuse them till they’re dead, and the the few that are for sale in fair condition go for quite a bit. I have purchased 2 52” over the years used and both needed lots of work. If I were cutting an acre or over I would definately go new.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding. I like the fact that having a new one I would have a warranty, but hate the price tag that comes with it. I'm just going to keep looking. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Check around and see what dealerships are offering on new machines. I bought a Husqvarna Z560 last Spring for about $1500 off MSRP and 0% financing for 3 years. I’ll average about 50 hours per season and it’s stored inside, so it should last me a long time. Still not cheap, but after weighing out all the options, I don’t regret it a bit.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding. I like the fact that having a new one I would have a warranty, but hate the price tag that comes with it. I'm just going to keep looking. Maybe I'll get lucky.

This time of the year isn't helping your search either, as any decent commercial mower will be in use and/or demand top dollar. Stay diligent and something will come up from a company shutting down or homeowner moving.

Just to add another Craigslist datapoint:

Picked up April this year - 2013 Exmark Lazer S-Series, Kohler EFI, 52" deck. 1,500 hours, $2,500. It isn't pretty, but mechanically it is solid (municipality/school owned and maintained).

I was finding plenty of 60" Lazers with ~2,000 hours for between $2,500-3500 at the time and the main challenge was assessing condition, as you're finding. If you can wait till the off-season you can do pretty well.

This time of the year isn't helping your search either, as any decent commercial mower will be in use and/or demand top dollar. Stay diligent and something will come up from a company shutting down or homeowner moving.

Picked up April this year - 2013 Exmark Lazer S-Series, Kohler EFI, 52" deck. 1,500 hours, $2,500. It isn't pretty, but mechanically it is solid (municipality/school owned and maintained).

I was finding plenty of 60" Lazers with ~2,000 hours for between $2,500-3500 at the time and the main challenge was assessing condition, as you're finding. If you can wait till the off-season you can do pretty well.

Side note - I had sold myself on a new Scag Tiger Cat before this, so I understand your dilemma. I have no regrets and really like the old Lazer now though.

Yeah, I know this time of year is the worst to find something. I kept telling myself I'd wait until fall/winter, but each week I mow, it's getting harder to wait. I'm going to continue to look until the right deal comes along.

It’s a Grasshopper 430D 72” deck. Kubota diesel engine. Listed for $6800. New tires on it too

That sounds like a good deal and all, but it's a lot more than I need and want to pay. Thanks though.