Need project advice - Porsche 928

supldys

So i posted somewhat recently about my 928:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129434

I've finally gotten settled down in Texas and have had more chances to cruise in the Porsche. And as gratifying as it was to bring a car back from the dead, this thing is a pig! It handles great, but you take a sharp turn, floor it, the engine roars the way only a Porsche V8 can (which is awesome btw

), and nothing. My honda accord would pull lengths on this thing. I know it was only 220 hp and its 37 years old, but dang.

So I think I'm left with a few options:

1) Swap in a later 32V motor $$$$ - Porsche guys have a thing about charging way too much for their junkyard extra parts

2) Slap a turbo on it $$$ - All custom, there's no kits for it, and horsepower gains likely won't be worth the trouble

3) Renegade hybrid swap $$ - I've heard a lot of good things about these kits, I don't really like the fact that you use the stock transmission but mine is still shifting strong, and if it dies the automatics aren't too hard to come by.

4) Sell it for something else $ - Still needs a few things before it will probably sell (needs a rack rebuild to keep power steering, AC isn't kicking on for some reason, and there's still a crack in the windshield). 4.5s seem to have popped up all over lately, so I will likely lose money doing this.

5) Do nothing, just enjoy the rare weekend crusier and maybe some old guy will make a good offer someday because 928s are sentimental to him.

I'll say I love the look of these cars so I'm leaning towards the renegade swap. the LS kit runs about $2k, but the SBC kit is only about $1.4k. An LT1 with aluminum heads is just about the same weight as the factory motor, and I believe a TPI is even lighter, so with my goal of just getting some damn torque I may go with one of those being cheaper.

The porsche purists hate this idea. Tell me what you think

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1034&pictureid=9373

Jono

Those prices seem really low.

Yes...sounds like just the kits.

Despite the internet valuations, it sounds like you have a solid runner with some minor issues that don’t hurt it...but won’t command a really good price. I would focus on keeping it and doing the Renegade swap, with working A/C.

Yeah those prices are just the kits. What's the issues with the LT1 besides the optispark?

I considered just a carb'd 350, but there's not much available down here. If it's got chrome valve covers, they want $4k for it

Yeah those prices are just the kits. What's the issues with the LT1 besides the optispark?

I considered just a carb'd 350, but there's not much available down here. If it's got chrome valve covers, they want $4k for it

The Opti was a big fault of the engine, but it's also the red headed step child of the GM line. Once the LS series motors started coming out most everything for the LT1 went by the way side. There is a fix for the opti which basically makes it coil per plug just like the LS motors, but the last time I priced it the cost was astronomical. Far more expensive than a junkyard 5.3 with all the trimmings. It's simply easier to make power with an LS than it is with an LT.

That being said, there are some REALLY good deals on LT1 motors because nobody wants them. It doesn't sound like your horsepower requirements are really high, so it might fit the bill.

Personally I love my LT1, but I wouldn't swap one into anything. The LS has far more aftermarket support, and frankly is a better engine. Next question would be how your car would handle with an iron block? Or do you need the aluminum block to keep the balance of the car.

From the info I've found the stock block is just under 600 lbs which i thought the LT was about the same. The stock is all aluminum but it's wide and long with a lot of extra overengineered crap on it

At this point I wouldn’t even bother with a ‘90s LT1. The aftermarket is too expensive for the power you can make. The only reason would be for weight to keep the 928 as 50/50 as possible.

Would the Renegade kit support the LS? That, or an aluminum-headed L98/SBC should be fine. It’s not going to need more than 300-350hp.

How much does the 928 weigh? Seems like if you're after performance, there are GM V8 powered cars that are just as pleasant to drive as an old Porsche without the headache.

About 3300 lbs. Not as light as it should be with as much aluminum that it has.

I'll say doing anything with this car is somewhat of headache, you can't change the valve cover gaskets without pulling the cams. Part of the benefit of an LS swap would be getting to a simple engine design and cleaning up the atrocious ecm/wiring mess Porsche made.

• 5 months later...