2007 Cobalt clutch replacement

2 Sweet

I have a 2007 Cobalt (actually it's a Pontiac G5, same thing though) 2.2L with a 5-speed trans. 121k miles. It needs a new clutch, the car won't go into gear when the engine is running, so possibly an issue with the slave? I've called a few shops and they are quoting $1000+ for a basic clutch job. Here's the weird thing, they say the '08+ is about half the labor (4 hrs vs 7.5 for the 05-07) according to the book, which makes no sense to me.

Regardless, I don't wanna pay a thousand bucks to fix a cheap car that I really don't even care about. Any ideas? Anyone know someone who they would recommend?

Both that I am seeing calls for 7.5 hours due to sub frame drop. I could probably save you a little money but it's not a cheap job.

Damn. I never figured a clutch replacement for a Cobalt would be more labor intensive than an S10 or Camaro :(

I'll probably just sell the car as it sits for whatever I can get. Not worth fixing if it's that much IMO

There isn’t much to take apart on a Camaro or S10, on that cobalt you have to hang the engine, take the front suspension apart, and drop the subframe. Warranty time to put syncros in a Spark (I know lol) a few months ago was over 12 hours. That’s warranty time. Nobody is trying to rip you off.

Yeah, I'm just surprised/disappointed, it's my own fault for not researching this platform before I bought the car

You mean researching most fwd cars ?

Pretty standard procedure for a clutch replacement unless you get lucky and can slip the trans out inside the subframe rails but that is not to common

You mean researching most fwd cars ?

Pretty standard procedure for a clutch replacement unless you get lucky and can slip the trans out inside the subframe rails but that is not to common

A mechanic I know told me it's "a few hours" for a clutch job on a Cobalt and I believed him

Damn. I never figured a clutch replacement for a Cobalt would be more labor intensive than an S10 or Camaro :(

I'll probably just sell the car as it sits for whatever I can get. Not worth fixing if it's that much IMO

If interested in having it fixed let me know. Looks like a clutch kit is 240$ and a flywheel is 150. I can help you on labor but if you're not wanting to spend money on it I understand.

OK, so help me out here, I feel like a moron because I can't seem to figure anything out on my own lately.....

When I bought the car last year, the guy I bought it from said it might need a clutch soon, because it's "hard to get in first" sometimes. Seemed to shift fine, so I bought it. After I had it for a couple weeks, one day it would stall if you shifted into first too quickly, like the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way. But if you shifted into first slowly, it was fine. Then a few days later, leaving work it wouldn't go into ANY gear whatsoever with the engine running. I got it home by rev matching and basically floating gears, and really needing to force it into every gear along the way.

The car sat in the street a few weeks, then when I moved it to the driveway, it was still acting up. If you started the car in gear it would creep forward while the clutch pedal was still pressed to the floor. So yeah, I was thinking the slave was shot and it needed a clutch, because something with the hydraulics was clearly fucked.

Fast forward until today. I decided to move it back to the street, and to my surprise, it went into gear with ease. The fucking thing has been sitting for nine months, and now it's going into gear? So I took it out for a drive around the neighborhood, and it shifted like butter. Went back home. Took the car out again a few minutes later, went on some higher speed roads and really let it rip. It's shifting great and the clutch pedal feels nice.

WTF?

Sounds like it could be clutch adjustment? Google search finds any other Cobalt/G5 owners with similar problems?

I’ve found for modern, stock(unmodded) Cars...if there’s an issue, there’s GOTTA be someone else that’s experienced a similar condition.