Any zero turn hydraulic experience here?

cruizin01

I have an older Bob-Cat 61" zero turn with less than 1500 hours on it. Last weekend the right hydraulics started chattering really bad. In just a couple of laps the pump completely locked up on it.

The pump self imploded and passed a bunch of metal through the system. Great! I went through and flushed everything I could including the lines, cooler and tank.

So I picked up a new pump at Buckeye yesterday and installed it last night. The right hand wheel will turn but doesn't have any torque. So I figure the wheel motor is junk as well.

Whats weird is the left hand wheel is problematic as well now. It will only engage when I get the right side wheel moving. But once it decides to start moving it has plenty of torque and will move forward and backward without any issues. But if I pull both levers back to "park" and lower the mower down the left side just sits there and moans and groans.

I can't figure out how two separate systems can be "related" in the way they operate. The cooling side is the only connection between the 2 but the pressure side of the pump to wheel motors is completely separate.

Any tips or ideas?

I can't really justify putting $2500 worth of pumps and motors on this mower.

Every single time I've had issues with a hydro mower it came down to air in the system somewhere. Bleed everything again?

I can't really find anything specific to bleeding the system. The manual doesn't really show anything at all, aside from draining and refilling. I filled the system, turned the relief valve out, ran the pumps, turned the valve in, ran the system forward and backward several times. Im not sure what else I can do?

edit.

I found this

It was pretty much what I was doing but I guess Ill go at it again. I was really only doing one side at a time, not sure that would make a difference but Im not out anything trying it again.

I don't know anything about your specific unit. But once you feel like you have the bleeding process down. Typically you need to bleed...run the unit...let it sit...then bleed again...repeat.

Thanks, Ill keep dickin' with it. Before I order more overpriced parts.

Just a small update.

Turns out the system won't bleed unless you're at roughly 75% throttle or higher. So it sucked down more fluid and bleed out some error. I was hoping that fixed it as with the mower jacked up everything seemed to be working fine.

But, when you lower it down the right side doesn't have enough torque to move the mower around and the left side is grabbing randomly and make all sorts of noise.

Ugh.

Im torn between ordering 2 wheel motors and another pump (roughly $1600) or trying to find another mower..

Went down and looked at this Ferris last evening. Put a deposit on it. Its a pretty nice mower. Obviously used but the guy has 3 other Ferris's that he uses and maintains. Idle surges just a bit but Im sure I can figure that out.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/d/laurelville-ferris-zero-turn/6930367413.html

So Ill be selling the bobcat if anyone is interested in a small project. Its a great HD mower just needs some work obviously.

Annd1ddl.jpg

Went down and looked at this Ferris last evening. Put a deposit on it. Its a pretty nice mower. Obviously used but the guy has 3 other Ferris's that he uses and maintains. Idle surges just a bit but Im sure I can figure that out.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/d/laurelville-ferris-zero-turn/6930367413.html

So Ill be selling the bobcat if anyone is interested in a small project. Its a great HD mower just needs some work obviously.

Annd1ddl.jpg

What year and model is it? I have a 1999 with the Kohler that I might be interested in yours for parts.

What year and model is it? I have a 1999 with the Kohler that I might be interested in yours for parts.

Early to mid 2000's I believe. Ill look at my paperwork. It has a 25 or 26hp Kawasaki in it. Probably not a good candidate for parts at this point just yet. If someone had a couple good wheel motors it'd probably be a running machine.

Early to mid 2000's I believe. Ill look at my paperwork. It has a 25 or 26hp Kawasaki in it. Probably not a good candidate for parts at this point just yet. If someone had a couple good wheel motors it'd probably be a running machine.

PM me with what you're thinking price wise.