Phone Experts Chime In: I Need A New Whip

wagner

So my S7 Active is getting long in the tooth with issues and dead pixels on the screen so I will need to get a new phone soon. I've done some research and want to hear what some of you are rocking.

Needs:

Good camera for photos/video that I can use for work.

Good battery life.

Headphone jack for podcast recording.

Expandable storage would be a bonus.

What I don't need.

Any Apple phone.

Tons of bloatware or other unnecessary techno-junk.

Right now my shortlist is the Pixel 3 or the S10. Does anybody have feedback on these phones or something similar?

tl;dr: I need a new phone that isn't an iphone that doesn't suck

Pixel 4 just came out. Arguably has a better camera then the iPhone. It's a Google brand phone, so updates will be instant, and although it lacks expandable storage, it makes up for it with Google Drive for all your images or recordings. The Pixel 4 lacks a headphone jack... but honestly... have you considered getting wireless? If not, they make USB Type C adaptors with headphone jacks for recording and listening. You can pick on up on Amazon for $15.

Galaxy Note 10 and S10+ all have expandable storage, great cameras, excellent screens, and that sweet sweet samsung Ecosystem life baked in. I was rocking Samsung everything at the start of 2019 and loved the Watch, Earbuds, and Phone combo. It worked very well and I have no complaints with either. BONUS: The S10 plus has a headphone jack

those would be my three picks for the best out there IMO

Pixel 3a - $299 Pixel 3a XL - $379. Same camera as the regular Pixel 3.

Only thing they don't have that you're looking for is expandable storage. But you get unlimited storage with Google photos.

I have the Note 9 now and will probably be picking up a Pixel 3a around the holidays as a back-up when the prices drop.

Also, Note 9 prices are dropping and they have everything you're looking for.

I just picked up a pixel 3xl and really like it. No native headphone jack though.

I might see if there's a way around that. I know the stupid I phone requires you to use some type of dongle to make wired headphones work.

Backing stuff up on the cloud is an acceptable compromise since we live in a Google environment at work.

Been reading up on the Pixel 4 and it doesn't seem like it's worth the money based on the reviews.

I have an S10 and it's been great. Got a good deal at Sam's Club so it didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I've been really happy with the camera. The phone is fast and responsive.

Here are a few pics as an example, but I think Tapatalk might down sample them on upload.1610b3ce28921fd16221b6a4fdd9a235.jpga76e0d7754ace50dadc5aefa63f95f17.jpge0f70338069dedb022855e92be06acf4.jpg2b555b03c2b873d9c58b6334d8c72e7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

S10 line is great and meets your criteria. Can still use all the Google stuff at work, and has a headphone jack+microSD slot. Look at the S10e. It's the cheaper version of the S10. Only has the regular camera+wide angle camera, compared to the S10's zoom+standard+wide. But it's got a flat screen if you like that from your S7 Active, and is a bit cheaper than the normal S10 as well. I had one for a bit and really liked it, but got a killer trade-in deal for the Note 10+ and went with that instead. Only issue with the Note 10+ for your needs is the lack of the headphone jack, but it's a BEAST otherwise. 12 Gb of RAM and you can run Samsung Dex (plus Linux on Dex is coming) with ease.

Oh, I forgot. The only thing I hate about my S10 is Bixby. But the latest version let's you reassign the Bixby button to most other apps (not Google Assistant though), so I made it a shortcut to the camera.

Oh, I forgot. The only thing I hate about my S10 is Bixby. But the latest version let's you reassign the Bixby button to most other apps (not Google Assistant though), so I made it a shortcut to the camera.

I'm not sure about the S10 but on my Note 8 I use an app call bxActions to remap the stupid Bixby button to Google Assistant.

I went to the AT&T store and played around with some phones and decided the S10 was the best fit for me.

The input here provided helped steer me towards that decision.

The Pixel 3 was a close second but those phones still seem to have some QC issues that I couldn't take a risk on.

My S7 is so old they wouldn't even take it in on trade in :lolguy:

My S7 is so old they wouldn't even take it in on trade in :lolguy:

Check Best Buy, they might give ya a few bucks for the trade in. Most times will give an in store credit that you can use to get something for your new phone like a case, screen protector, charger, ect.

I just want a phone that makes a clear phone call. Why is that still not a 100% sure thing in 2019? I swear my S7 gets worse with every update. I know Apple got busted for slowing phones down, so I'm sure Samsung does the same shit. It's not like I live in BFE; I live a little ways out in the country, but nothing too far. I can't even make a call in my own house without connecting to the internet. "Most reliable network (Verizon)" is horseshit.