Slimpsy Review

Rocky31186

I didnt want to do this, but others should be aware of the type of person Will is.

I went to his house to look at his 2004 Envoy.

No where in his post did he say the engine light was on, except when I showed up he stated it was for an 02 sensor. I scanned it and found transmission codes and coolant temp codes. I looked all around the outside / inside under as much as I could, but I assumed since he was a CR member and mutual friends that he didnt have much to hide.

He claimed the fluid leak was from the recent power steering line replacement was not cleaned up when it was done. But that wasnt the case. (Was not overly worried about that)

I decided to buy it going by what he said and what I found.

I get it home and on the lift to find out that the frame is swiss cheese. I wouldnt have been able to see this while parked on a driveway.

With all of the recent work hes paid to have done surely someone has told him how bad the frame was, MAYBE not who knows.

I sent him a text with photos asking if he would be willing to refund my money, I will tow it anywhere he wants it. Unfortunately he told me they "Already spent the money" and "The title is on it's way, hopefully you can do something with it".

If I honestly had no idea how unsafe it was I would gladly refund the money and apologize. But Will refused to refund and showed his true character.

Buying from a CR member shouldn't go this way, I have met many members here and feel that the majority of you would also man up and refund the money.

Sure you can always say "as is when buying used". But without towing it home, throwing it on my lift I would have never seen the frame.

There should be a trust associated with fellow CR members. I expect this type of situation off craigslist, not CR.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a real shame it went that way. Just reaffirms why I don’t automatically trust people.

You know as well as I do that depending on who did the work that shop/tech could just be seeing dollar signs and taking money not mentioning anything they can’t fix (ie frame rot).

At least you bought it and someone less mechanical didn’t buy and get in an accident.

That’s a real shame it went that way. Just reaffirms why I don’t automatically trust people.

You know as well as I do that depending on who did the work that shop/tech could just be seeing dollar signs and taking money not mentioning anything they can’t fix (ie frame rot).

At least you bought it and someone less mechanical didn’t buy and get in an accident.

I agree on all. I would have no problem refunding money. Now I have to sell it for parts and lose money.

I don't think this is a very fair review.

Firstly, I had ZERO idea the frame was bad. The recent records I provided where I just spent over $500 on repairing lines, and just put tires on the thing should prove that. Rocky came out and checked it out and then put it on his flatbed (where he could have checked it out more) and left. He then later text me and said the frame was in bad shape but was going to continue to repair the wheel bearing and sell it. I said, that sucks..do you think you can break even? He said he hopes so. . . and requested I get title to him ASAP. So I drove to Jackson (where my father in law was) and had him notarize the title first thing and overnight it to Rocky and provided him with that tracking/proof.

I felt bad and was disturbed the shop I had spent thousands at had never mentioned these problems to me, but it seemed like Rocky was at least going to break even, and so the following morning...my wife and I put the money down on another SUV for our family. We don't have the luxury of having a lot of excess money so $1,000 is a lot of money for us.

It wasn't til last night that Rocky asked for his money back because he felt bad about selling it. I don't think that's fair, and I had already got the title sent overnight to him and he said he was going to get rid of it. While I didn't think it was a great deal for either of us. . . he made it seem he was going to flip it and everything was fine. So now I should try and come back up with his money, and he gets to run my name into the ground?

I have been a member of this site for YEARS...I have never had any ill intent towards anyone, and have dealt with many of you over the years with nothing but praise. I guess I will accept being banned if that's the way it goes. . . . but I at least wanted to give my side of the story and at least go out knowing I did that much.

Moral of the story you sold a vehicle with a bad frame whether you knew it or not, you know now and wouldn't even attempt to make it right.

If I sold a vehicle and found out how unsafe it was I would gladly refund or even worse case offer a partial refund.

Hopefully the title will arrive today and I will sell it for parts which I'm losing money on.

Just shows what kind of person you are and your integrity / morals you hold as a "man".

I respect both sides of this argument, but Rocky you're expecting a lot from a $1300 vehicle that runs and drives, IMO.

Not claiming to know how the conversations went between you and Slimpsy, though...but if you were looking to flip it FMV on KBB.com shows $2700-4500. I know a normie UA dad rolling around in a $6k used-lot Jeep Wrangler with a fishplated frame. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't see ANY sort of rust concern from looking at it on a driveway.

You're putting it out there. I'm just responding with my opinion on what I've read into your review of him.

Unfortunately this is a shitty situation for both sides. We just experienced something similar with shops being shitty with people and trying to take their money for cars that aren't worth fixing.

We had an older lady that went to a local shop that gave her an estimate for $2k for front end repairs. She didn't have the money to fix it at the moment, so she left. Couple days later the rear suspension went through the body and she brought the car to us to trade in. They never told her about the rear end rust. This wasn't an independently run shop. You would kind of expect it from Bob the backyard mechanic but a large shop should tell people about this kind of stuff instead of trying to get $ out of people.

I understand when buying anything from CR members you have an expectation that all experiences with people should be perfect, but unfortunately when buying something this old with higher miles for <$1k everyone always needs to be aware of the risks involved thanks to Ohio's wonderful salted roads.

Hopefully the two of you can work something out or your able to sell it without losing money on it.

Hindsight is 20/20..

What seems like something easy to spot is not considering the frame rot was on the inside of the frame. At most this thing fixed up without a bad frame would bring 2500$. I expected with the issues stated (plus the engine light issues I found that were not stated) would make it a 1k$ car in it's current state.

He could have offered anything to help with the situation other than "hope you can do something with it".

I respect both sides of this argument, but Rocky you're expecting a lot from a $1300 vehicle that runs and drives, IMO.

Not claiming to know how the conversations went between you and Slimpsy, though...but if you were looking to flip it FMV on KBB.com shows $2700-4500. I know a normie UA dad rolling around in a $6k used-lot Jeep Wrangler with a fishplated frame. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't see ANY sort of rust concern from looking at it on a driveway.

You're putting it out there. I'm just responding with my opinion on what I've read into your review of him.

Personally, I won’t hand over money and haul off/drive off with anything and then expect later to reverse it. If I didn’t have the time to check it I’d wait for a better chance to look before I hand over my cash. Just my opinion.

Ok. I went straight away that day to get you the title notarized and sent out as you requested and you proceeded with repairing the hub and said you were going to sell it. Yes, I spent the money because you had clearly made it sound like you were immediately flipping it but then had a change of heart. I am not going to go back and forth about it man. I am sorry it wasn’t a perfect car for $1,000, and I feel like a fool for trusting the local shop here, but I don’t think I should have to bend over backwards because you have buyers remorse after fixing it.

Hindsight is 20/20..

What seems like something easy to spot is not considering the frame rot was on the inside of the frame. At most this thing fixed up without a bad frame would bring 2500$. I expected with the issues stated (plus the engine light issues I found that were not stated) would make it a 1k$ car in it's current state.

He could have offered anything to help with the situation other than "hope you can do something with it".

Buyers remorse? A perfect car? Haha

Just glad other people know to not trust you now.

Also glad you didnt sell this to a family of 4 that will load kids in the back. Weird how you had no clue about the frame rot, however didnt drive it for a reason. And was in desperate need of a new "spare vehicle".

As I said, shows your morals and integrity knowing you screwed someone over and didnt offer anything to make it right. Karma will find you.

I didn’t drive it because it needed a hub, which you replaced. I was not in desperate need, and never said that.

I don’t understand why we are doing this here. I did do what you wanted the day you bought it. Apparently making me look bad and calling me less of a man gives you some gratification and thats fine. I wish you the best in your current and future endeavors.

Buyers remorse? A perfect car? Haha

Just glad other people know to not trust you now.

Also glad you didnt sell this to a family of 4 that will load kids in the back. Weird how you had no clue about the frame rot, however didnt drive it for a reason. And was in desperate need of a new "spare vehicle".

As I said, shows your morals and integrity knowing you screwed someone over and didnt offer anything to make it right. Karma will find you.

I know them both through CR. Sold some camera gear to Will years ago without issue and Rocky is cool as hell all around.

Clay's post is echoed by me. Good news IMO is the dollars involved. We're not talking $5-10k and having similar levels of concern.

I know them both through CR. Sold some camera gear to Will years ago without issue and Rocky is cool as hell all around.

Clay's post is echoed by me. Good news IMO is the dollars involved. We're not talking $5-10k and having similar levels of concern.

Now the 1% chimes in about how $1000 isn't a lot of money.

This is pathetic.

Its 1K and its a car you looked at prior to purchasing.

Is he kinda douchey for not letting you know it was trans codes? Maybe. Maybe he didn't know.

Did he know about the frame? We will never know.

Cry a fucking river about it though, please.