How do you get a damn boating license?

PRD2BDF

I cannot find any good information. From some sketchy websites, it appears I pay a fee, watch videos/learn, take a exam and pass. Poof I get a license. Is that true? The website run by the state is down for construction so there's no clear answer on that.

If you are Gen X or older check what the cutoff date was. Old folks don't need a license.

Watching the videos still wouldn't hurt though.

My mom and dad decided to have sex and make me several years past the cutoff year just to spite me 32 years later

I believe as long as its a NASBLA approved course, you're good to go. Once you get proof of completion, you send that to the ODNR and they will issue you a license. I did mine through https://www.boaterexam.com/usa/ohio/. The video/class is long (~4 hours?) so be prepared. Exam is pretty easy and straight forward. Good luck!

I cannot find any good information. From some sketchy websites, it appears I pay a fee, watch videos/learn, take a exam and pass. Poof I get a license. Is that true? The website run by the state is down for construction so there's no clear answer on that.

I took mine for free through https://www.boatus.org/ . The downside was that you could not skip through the slides...you had to watch them all before taking the test. It was somewhat informative so I do highly suggest paying attention.

I didn't have to send anything to ODNR...you can print the certificate as soon as you pass the test and keep a copy on the boat in case you get pulled over. The ONLY time I have ever needed to show it was when we rented a boat. I have never been asked to show it during safety inspections at Alum or when I have been pulled over on the water... :lol:

I owed a boat about 10 years ago, I had no idea you needed a license, I just bought it and drove it... :lol:

Old guys like you don't need to take the test... :rolleyes::p

-Marc