Freiburger in HOT ROD: "Stop Buying These Cars!" Ohio equivalent?

zeitgeist57

Just got back from vacation and saw latest issue of HOT ROD. In the back, David Freiburger lists his Top 10 list of ridiculously overvalued old vehicles. He cites auctions and general demand for older muscle cars have inflated the value of anything American-made, RWD, and 40+ years old.

10) Datsun 510s

9) Fox Mustangs

8) '68-'72 Novas

7) '77-'81 Trans-Ams

6) '69-'70 Mach 1s

5) Vans

4) '67-'72 Chevy Trucks

3) Squarebodies

2) '68-'70 Dodge Chargers

1) '66-'77 Ford Broncos

From my consumption of YT car programming, especially things tied to Hoonigan and Motor Trend app-shows (which I've really grown to love paying for that app, I must say) this is the MOST Southern California list ever. :lol: Most of those are so rusted you never find any of value here in the Midwest.

Any nominations for the most overpriced used cars in Ohio?

i am confused by #5, is it just all vans? like even the white vans plumbers and the like use? those seem dirt cheap to me.

I definitely think G-bodies need to be put on that list. ever since street outlaws those things have sky-rocketed.

C3 vettes are starting to inflate and become ridiculous for what they are.

Most of this list I agree with, the only one I think I have an issue with is 1969-1970 mach 1's. For some reason 1965-66 and 67-68 fastback anything mustangs are way more expensive than the 69-70 and I actually think that halfway decent mach 1s (usually $15-25k) are a good deal when compared to 1969 camaros and 1970 challengers. I can kinda see him saying they are overpriced for the project car ones that still seem to pull $10k for rotted shells, and that most mach 1s aren't anything special (the majority are 351 small blocks and some are even 2bbl 3 speed manuals). They were $5K-$10K cars in nice shape for all of the 90's and part of the 00's and I think David is just being salty that inflation caught up with them finally.

adding to this list:

- 1983-1988 Gbody performance anything. Seriously, Monte SS's, 442s, and regal T-types/grand nationals are out of control on pricing. I can see paying $12-15K for a super clean 1988 monte SS, I can't see $20K, and the guys paying $30K for non GN T-types? WTF?

- Gbody el caminos. these $500 PWT mobiles are $5K-$10K now. I like these cars but I can't see $5K worth of fun in a $2500 trucklette when I can find GMT400s for that price.

- SN95 new edge mustangs. I watched HRG buy a clean, high mile, new edge mustang for $3500 for one of their episodes - got on CL/FB marketplace - $7K for similar clean new edge. Why would these ever be over $4K when S197's are below $10K now? seriously?

- 90's Subaru Impreza 2.5RS's. Even the 4 door rust boxes here in ohio are overpriced for what they are - a non turbo subaru with WRC blue paint, a spoiler, and some fog lights. Seriously, we can import same gen WRXs now, did nobody get that memo?

- E30 bmws. I had a 1991 vert, a $500 clean body, nasty interior brooklyn beater with 200K miles that I loved dearly and would pay $3K to have back. $7K for a vert, $10K for coupe? No stock e30 broke 200hp, sure they are great engine swap cars for later motors, but come on man. Don't get me started on e30 m3s passing $100K

- Z3 roadsters. I dare you to find a high mile 4 cyl z3 roadster for under $5K that wasn't used as a toilet at some point.

FD RX-7 are getting up there. I also agree about the old Z cars because I was looking at them when I bought my Camaro. Older Subaru’s out here are rediculous for mostly junk that some teenager beat to death.

When I get done with coil overs and LS swap on my car it will probably be worth at least twice what I paid for it.

I hope folks keep driving up the Fox mustangs, if so I know a very nice that could be purchased from the original owner. :)

Its been 11 years and I regret selling my 90 every day. Ill be a buyer for one again someday because of that.

And also cars are just so expensive these days IMO. I might drop say 15 on something that should be 10 because I damned well cannot afford 30 or 40.

I think overall older car demand is surging because people want fun but new car prices are insane. People would rather drop 10k or whatever into a fun project than 50k+ into a new car with too many nannies.

I agree.

Third gen Camaro's. Specifically IROC's. Just dumb.

I’ve debated on getting another 4th gen because I hate the newer style. I’d probably end up on the dumb side of pricing but that’s still better than 50k+ on a new one imho. I could get a great shell and drop a dumb 1000 hp motor and drivetrain into it but still be less than a 5th gen or newer.

To me, that’s what’s driving the market in this direction. You either pay out the nose for the new convenience and performance or you put hard earned money, blood and sweat into an older chassis. Seems like many are opting for the latter. I’d love a hellcat but no way I’m paying 80k on one. I’d much rather dump 20k into some other shitbox for funsies. But now, economy the way it is I’ll just keep my Walmart roadmaster bike tuned up.

Prices increase in cars (specifically toys) in my opinion because either:

A- Popular people do cool things and make it look easy and people try to copy

OR

B- People who grew up during a particular era feel nostalgic and want a vehicle they always liked as a kid

I still think MK4 Supras are $30K overpriced most of the time

You can add DC2 GSR Integras to that list. Have now seen 2 sell for nearly/over $20K

4th gen F-Body's will make a list one of these days. I can't find one in good condition for under 20k

I miss mine so much :(

what???

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/990307058070385

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2676295042498869

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3139845876097965

that was a 2 minute search looking for low mileage stick cars specifically ..

look hard enough you can get into a z06 for 20k and base c5 for under that all day long...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2711921429079324

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3211125725668008

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3612384982124462

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/276540387028344

I personally would never be buying a 4th gen for 20k dont care the mileage when there are nice vettes out there at that cost

With cars getting more and more disconnected, sound insulation, rubber or dynamic bushings, automatic transmissions, turbochargers, awd, anything that is analog and remotely dynamic are skyrocketing in good condition.

- SN95 new edge mustangs. I watched HRG buy a clean, high mile, new edge mustang for $3500 for one of their episodes - got on CL/FB marketplace - $7K for similar clean new edge. Why would these ever be over $4K when S197's are below $10K now? seriously?

IMO, SN95s are more fun to drive vs the s197 3V cars. This isn't to say they're better/faster, but they certainly are more fun to drive. My 97 Cobra is a flaming shitbox, but it's more fun to drive than my 06 3V.

SN95 cars are lighter as well, smaller, more glass, etc. I can see myself getting another SN95 in excellent shape.

IMO, SN95s are more fun to drive vs the s197 3V cars. This isn't to say they're better/faster, but they certainly are more fun to drive. My 97 Cobra is a flaming shitbox, but it's more fun to drive than my 06 3V.

SN95 cars are lighter as well, smaller, more glass, etc. I can see myself getting another SN95 in excellent shape.

That, makes a lot of sense. I guess I am just frustrated by the ohio "rust free" tax.

I tell you what has caught my eye lately - the '99-02 NA cobras. Terminator cobra look and IRS without the terminator price tag. The stink of ford under-delivering on 302 hp seems to have lingered and they aren't much more than a regular new edge GT.

That, makes a lot of sense. I guess I am just frustrated by the ohio "rust free" tax.

I tell you what has caught my eye lately - the '99-02 NA cobras. Terminator cobra look and IRS without the terminator price tag. The stink of ford under-delivering on 302 hp seems to have lingered and they aren't much more than a regular new edge GT.

IMO, the 99/01 Cobra is a good buy. While they don't have the same hood/bumpers as the 03/04 cobra it's a much better overall car without all that weight up front.

Honestly the 96-98 Cobras are the sweet spot IMO. Even cheaper, and since you'll probably need to rebuild the 99/01 cobra IRS anyway, might as well just buy one and swap it into the 96-98 cars. I like their styling better anyway. You do get better heads on the 99/01 though.

IMO, the 99/01 Cobra is a good buy. While they don't have the same hood/bumpers as the 03/04 cobra it's a much better overall car without all that weight up front.

Honestly the 96-98 Cobras are the sweet spot IMO. Even cheaper, and since you'll probably need to rebuild the 99/01 cobra IRS anyway, might as well just buy one and swap it into the 96-98 cars. I like their styling better anyway. You do get better heads on the 99/01 though.

I'll tell you something funny, I was at a car show recently with another CR member and there was an 99-02 cobra vert there. we were trying to figure out whether it was fake or real because of how subdued the cars look and how easy it would be to clone. I don't think we ever came to a consensus whether it was real or not.

4th gen f-body asking prices are hilarious lately.. same with 1-3 year-old trucks. Those have gone up just within the past couple months because of Corona. People want new trucks, new trucks aren't being built, so there's a low supply and high demand.