Exterior running lights not working - 1975 Dodge B300

zeitgeist57

Another problem with my RV...came back from FL on Thursday and noticed backing into my driveway at night that the running lights - from the front/side indicators all the way through clearance lights to the taillights - weren't working. Headlights, brights, indicators, brakelights and back-ups all worked fine. Even instrument cluster lit up.

Fuse block is very simple: one 20A fuse for "exterior lights", which was not blown. Pulled it out and replaced it, still no change.

The lights all worked on Wednesday. We did drive through a ton of rain through TN and KY on Thursday, and there is a small leak on the roof that needs patched but it's nowhere near any of the roof clearance lights. Not sure when the running lights stopped working.

I ordered a new headlight switch on Amazon, because $11 and it's super simple to swap out. Just got it this afternoon, threw it in, and same lighting issues.

I can't imagine that even one little blown bulb, or a bad ground would make all the running lights perfectly not work (instead of just one light or even a set of lights, like the tails for example). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Have you checked for power anywhere with your multimeter, like at the switch, at the fuse, etc...

Does this dodge use the old fusible links under the hood? I'm not familiar with 70's dodge motorhomes, lol.

I'm guessing that the running lights only come on with the headlight switch, which would be powered separately from the ignition switch, eliminating that possibility?? The running/parking lights could be on a separate circuit from the headlights after the switch, making a bad ground a possibility. How many wires come off the headlight switch you replaced? Can you trace the outgoing power any further?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, the headlight relay was totally cooked. The wiring harness was a little crunchy too. I don’t know why....guessing that a ‘70s Dodge 2906336 relay can eventually just crap out.

Since a replacement was $50+, I got a more generic AR109 relay from NAPA and rewired the factory harness. Everything works as it should now. :thumbup: