RedRocket1647545505

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than in you, again.

:gabe:

tenor.gif

If you're gonna swing when one is lobbed to ya slow pitch softball style ya better hit it out of the park every time. Good job.

Took the bait. Too easy. I was wondering who it would be. My money was on Matt. lol

http://sign.moveon.org/petitions/wewanttoplay

I would like to request all you taters in this thread to sign this

Happily signed it on Sunday. Had around 250,000 signatures in about 24 hours.

The Big Ten should have at least postponed their decision (whatever they ended up deciding) and been transparent with their reasoning. The commissioner, Kevin Warren, went on BTN and had no answers for their reasoning to cancel. He looked like a fool. Now it's coming out there may not have actually been a vote, possibly a lie for the President's that voted to cancel to save face? There just hasn't been transparency. Parent groups have sent letters and lawyers are now getting involved.

Kind of weird you'll have like 50k people going to classes at OSU soon, teams will continue to train and practice, but the only thing cancelled are the actual games, once a week.

BTW, Kevin Warren's son plays in the SEC at Miss St. and it appears he will be playing soon.

How does the playoffs work? i had heard if there was less than 50% of teams playing then they cancel it. However, if ACC, SEC, and BIG 12 all still play i think thats over 50% right? so will there still be a playoff this year without some teams even playing?

How does the playoffs work? i had heard if there was less than 50% of teams playing then they cancel it. However, if ACC, SEC, and BIG 12 all still play i think thats over 50% right? so will there still be a playoff this year without some teams even playing?

Not sure on % to cancel or not. Technically the football playoff is a separate entity from the NCAA, even though they obviously work together. For now, the playoff says they are still on.

Hasn't been said yet, so I guess I'll chime in.

Professional sports teams haven't been terribly successful in re-starting practices/games/normalcy so I'm confused by those that say college sports will somehow be different/better/easier? What am I missing?

Hasn't been said yet, so I guess I'll chime in.

Professional sports teams haven't been terribly successful in re-starting practices/games/normalcy so I'm confused by those that say college sports will somehow be different/better/easier? What am I missing?

Have you read any articles on other sites, or just what's in this thread? There is actually quite a bit to it, much of which isn't even mentioned in this thread. I don't actively follow any sport besides college football. What have pro sports been doing?

Have you read any articles on other sites, or just what's in this thread? There is actually quite a bit to it, much of which isn't even mentioned in this thread. I don't actively follow any sport besides college football. What have pro sports been doing?

MLS and NHL have been doing the bubble thing, and that seems to be working great! basically you play all games at 1 facility and are not allowed to leave other than the hotel you stay in.

MLB has been having some random issues with people testing positive here and there, but overall has been decent at completing games and keeping people safe.

MLS and NHL have been doing the bubble thing, and that seems to be working great! basically you play all games at 1 facility and are not allowed to leave other than the hotel you stay in.

MLB has been having some random issues with people testing positive here and there, but overall has been decent at completing games and keeping people safe.

Ah ok. I have seen articles mentioning the bubble approach and that at the college level, could possibly affect the "amateur" status of the "student-athletes". Although I will say, the amount of time these college athletes spend on their sports and school work, they are basically in a bubble most of the time already anyway.

The problem is that it's basically impossible to keep college kids in a bubble. Between going to class and just hanging around others on campus, there's a much greater chance of exposure. College kids are still going to party and be dumb, and it'll eventually spread through the team and lead to games being cancelled.

That being said, there's no reason they shouldn't at least try and get it going. I agree with a lot of the stuff Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence have been saying.

The problem is that it's basically impossible to keep college kids in a bubble. Between going to class and just hanging around others on campus, there's a much greater chance of exposure. College kids are still going to party and be dumb, and it'll eventually spread through the team and lead to games being cancelled.

That being said, there's no reason they shouldn't at least try and get it going. I agree with a lot of the stuff Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence have been saying.

Yep. Then you get into the whole, why cancel only sports games (but not practices and training, etc), but then let ~50k kids back on campus at all?

And specifically for football players, instead of being locked down with the team Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon with game prep, the game, post game film, training, practice, etc., they now have their entire weekends free to party with the thousands of students.

Yep. Then you get into the whole, why cancel only sports games (but not practices and training, etc), but then let ~50k kids back on campus at all?

And specifically for football players, instead of being locked down with the team Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon with game prep, the game, post game film, training, practice, etc., they now have their entire weekends free to party with the thousands of students.

I think the bubble could work at a college level as long as the athletes do online classes and only play in their conferences. But it requires them to act like adults and not do stupid shit in their spare time.... therein lies the problem

Ohio HS football is a go, but OSU won't play. Ok...

Have you considered differences in:

- Potential liabilities

- Size of team

- Size of support staff

- Travel requirements

- Budget required to operate and meet payroll(s)

- % of operational budget funded by live audience

I think the bubble could work at a college level as long as the athletes do online classes and only play in their conferences. But it requires them to act like adults and not do stupid shit in their spare time.... therein lies the problem

"Adults" in pro sports do stupid shit off the field too. Not disagreeing with you but there is no reason to cancel some sports here and there and some conferences here and there when, as Matt said, classes are in session anyway. I mean....dafuq kind of tater sense does that make?

Have you considered differences in:

- Potential liabilities

- Size of team

- Size of support staff

- Travel requirements

- Budget required to operate and meet payroll(s)

- % of operational budget funded by live audience

Have you considered the differences in the support staff, facilities, and team doctor's and trainers at a B1G school vs that of a rural Ohio HS? :lol:

Have you considered the differences in the support staff, facilities, and team doctor's and trainers at a B1G school vs that of a rural Ohio HS? :lol:

Yes? That's exactly the question I was posing to Mr. Taylor. It's smaller. One of several reasons why HS sports might move forward. Pool of risk is smaller.

"Adults" in pro sports do stupid shit off the field too. Not disagreeing with you but there is no reason to cancel some sports here and there and some conferences here and there when, as Matt said, classes are in session anyway. I mean....dafuq kind of tater sense does that make?

I totally agree with Matt, if football is cancelled then these kids are just going to go out and get sick on the weekends at house parties off campus. I think it was Georgia where college kids rented an AirBNB and had a massive party with 100+ people there and no one following any rules. Might as well try and have the season and keep the kids somewhat safe in some sort of bubble

• 2 weeks later...