Selling a car with a digital title

Mallard

My dad died from COVID and my mom wants to sell his car. Searching through his paper work, I found a paper that said his title is digital. I've never sold a car with digital title before...do I need to request a paper copy in order to sell privately? Does the need for a paper title differ if it's sold in or out of state? I assume if I take it to a place like Carmax that everything can stay digital.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Is the vehicle paid for? If a bank is holding it the dealership will handle getting the title once she releases it. I assume the same would be true for a digital title in ohio with no lien. I'd guess out of state it would be safer to go ahead and obtain a hard copy.

Sorry to hear about your father, that's a terrible thing to go through.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Is the vehicle paid for? If a bank is holding it the dealership will handle getting the title once she releases it. I assume the same would be true for a digital title in ohio with no lien. I'd guess out of state it would be safer to go ahead and obtain a hard copy.

Sorry to hear about your father, that's a terrible thing to go through.

Vehicle is paid for, have the letter from the bank saying it's paid off.

Thanks. Similar to what Otis said, at times we thought he would pull through. This virus came with massive ups and downs. One day you think he's getting better, the next he's crashing, then repeat.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

She should be able to take the letter and his death certificate to the BMV and they will give her a title for a fee.

Thanks, maybe I'll try that when we get the death certificate.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-et.aspx#gsc.tab=0

Looks like there are options. Everything is handled by third party vendors.

I just realized that the title is only in my dad's name, so I (or my mom) probably cannot sell it, since it looks like these electronic services ask for documents to be scanned (most likely to verify identity). Probably have to wait for a death certificate and go to the BMV to change the name on the title first.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Did he have a power of attorney setup?
Yes. My mom has power of attorney. Just not sure if it's more complicated to show all that or change the name on the title. End result would be the same, just looking for the path of least resistance. She's not keen on standing around in the DMV at this point.

Yes. My mom has power of attorney. Just not sure if it's more complicated to show all that or change the name on the title. End result would be the same, just looking for the path of least resistance. She's not keen on standing around in the DMV at this point.

What county does she live in? I went to Delaware county, I live in franklin and it didn't matter, a few months ago and there was no wait at all for title work. License plates were a different story.

What county does she live in? I went to Delaware county, I live in franklin and it didn't matter, a few months ago and there was no wait at all for title work. License plates were a different story.
Franklin. Good tip, could try a location out of the city.

I requested a title by mail at start of covid lockdowns and shit. Title agencies were only open for certain people/business. I think I had to send a SASE and some notarized form. Took a couple weeks i think. You can look up the title# online for that form. The state's BMV chat feature was surprisingly helpful.

But you may have other issues if it's just him on the title.