☆~Sleepy Joe 2021~☆

Mitch

https://www.axios.com/biden-covid-package-progressive-wish-list-3e58cfa2-b16f-4262-8e98-46c80e5f4cea.html

I've trusted Axios news for the last 4+ years, and this article is a quick but good read.

I'm upset by all this government spending, but I have to say aside from stimulus checks, PPP and Cares Act/Main Street Lending programs, there definitely is a significant portion of the paycheck-to-paycheck population that's gotten worse by the shutdowns. Trump's spent over $4 Trillion in pandemic response. We need another $2 TRILLION under Biden...and even he says 'that's not enough'??

When are we going to REOPEN BUSINESSES? I'm not talking WalMart and Kroger, but local restaurants and stores???

Of course there are still going to be problems, but we have to move forward through this......and it's not on the back of continued government spending. Once we roll out more of the vaccine to the general population, it's time to reopen and put personal responsibility back in the hands of the people. (Scary concept for gubmint, I know) :lol:

1000% agree - I don’t want to rely on the government for anything. That’s the most dangerous position for a citizen to be in.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what businesses are still closed? I know some are open in a limited capacity, but I can't think of any right now that are just closed due to govt telling them to.

Hi - I’ve been shut down since March 13th. Projected to re-open of large capacity venues is summer of 2022....

So hey, maybe a stupid question here.... With all the things getting stuffed into various bills, is it possible to maybe pass a law that says you can't do that anymore and only pass bills for their intended purpose instead of cramming things in at the last moment? At the same time, only passing bills that members of congress and the president have a "reasonable" amount of time to read?

Of course this means less things will get passed by both parties, but would it not force the government to prioritize things to pass if they can't Trojan horse what they want in the first place?

Am I stupid for thinking that might be a good idea?

Now that's interesting, most news outlets didn't report it that way and the majority of people saw it as an all in one deal.

Yeah, the reporting was pretty weak overall, I myself was confused and didn't realize what was going on until I looked into it. Something about the "stimulus dollars are going to foreign aid" line that Trump and Trumpublicans were using didn't pass the smell test. The question is why they were spreading that bit of misinformation. Nothing really made sense about it, since the bill had bipartisan support at that point and the $2000 checks that Trump wanted were dead in the water because of McConnell. Why intentionally confuse the public, then? I still don't know.

Hi - I’ve been shut down since March 13th. Projected to re-open of large capacity venues is summer of 2022....

Well, you'll have plenty of time to think about how you will deal with the new $15 min wage and its consequences. So, that's a good thing right?

Yeah, that sucks. I have a friend who was in the process of opening a restaurant last March, and was in a partnership that was working with concert venues. Everything went full stop.

I really want to see a balanced budget and reduced spending, so seeing multi-trillion $ spending packages getting thrown around does give me pause. However, without government spending many business like yours, venues, restaurants, gyms, and many other small businesses are going to go under. I believe that these stimulus packages must happen, but the money has to go to the right places, not snatched up by billion dollar corporations run by members of congress before small businesses have a chance, and people like me don't need a $2k check.

Off topic, but have you thought about working with a tech company to do a concert virtually to bridge the gap to 2022? Companies like Big Screen has been doing this for music, movies, and sporting events, you sell tickets just like a normal event. Maybe when people buy a ticket maybe you send them a swag box or something to keep them engaged and make it special. The band performs on stage as usual, but with 3D cameras throughout the venue. In 4 months Oculus Quest 2 users already surpassed the original Quest user count which has been out for 2+ years, so there is a market out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Something interesting to add to how the stimulus effects people especially on the low end of life. Since I live at North Myrtle Beach I know a ton of people who work in the restaurants and a lot of the work I do is in restaurants or hotels around here. Last march/april through July most places couldn't get anyone to come to work if they wanted to be open here. They had pissed off employees if they stayed open and really rich ones if they laid them off. This is verified, I literally live in the middle of were the locals live and everyone around me all summer were buying cars, upgrading their properties with above ground pools etc.

I don't know how to feel about it though, I know what my brain tells me. The people I'm talking about are lucky to make $200-300/week during the tourist season. Lets add that up real quick, your used to getting say $250/week so now your getting $850/week or $3400/month and you were on it from lockdown to July 31st so you earned $13600 when had your job remained normal you would have earned $4000 during that same time period. My brain says WTF!!! And they got the one time stimulus payment $1200 for an individual I think it was? So about $15000. This number doubles for a married couple who both worked as wait staff, very common here.

My facebook is full of my neighbors and the ones that worked through it were pretty annoyed that others got to go out and buy shit like its Christmas every week. I have my own little company so I could have stayed home and claimed unemployment for myself, but I elected to continue working. That worked out fine for me in that I was able to get a lot of work due to the other contractors in the area taking unemployment. This boosted my stats on the platforms big time and I was busy all summer and fall with no one else in the region to take work and I got to make the schedules and get it done.

Something interesting to add to how the stimulus effects people especially on the low end of life. Since I live at North Myrtle Beach I know a ton of people who work in the restaurants and a lot of the work I do is in restaurants or hotels around here. Last march/april through July most places couldn't get anyone to come to work if they wanted to be open here. They had pissed off employees if they stayed open and really rich ones if they laid them off. This is verified, I literally live in the middle of were the locals live and everyone around me all summer were buying cars, upgrading their properties with above ground pools etc.

I don't know how to feel about it though, I know what my brain tells me. The people I'm talking about are lucky to make $200-300/week during the tourist season. Lets add that up real quick, your used to getting say $250/week so now your getting $850/week or $3400/month and you were on it from lockdown to July 31st so you earned $13600 when had your job remained normal you would have earned $4000 during that same time period. My brain says WTF!!! And they got the one time stimulus payment $1200 for an individual I think it was? So about $15000. This number doubles for a married couple who both worked as wait staff, very common here.

My facebook is full of my neighbors and the ones that worked through it were pretty annoyed that others got to go out and buy shit like its Christmas every week. I have my own little company so I could have stayed home and claimed unemployment for myself, but I elected to continue working. That worked out fine for me in that I was able to get a lot of work due to the other contractors in the area taking unemployment. This boosted my stats on the platforms big time and I was busy all summer and fall with no one else in the region to take work and I got to make the schedules and get it done.

Before my wife was let go she couldn't get people to work as a recruiter. They flat told her they would make more on unemployment so why work?

There's a lot wrong at the core level of society that can't be legislated away with a higher minimum wage. I had an interesting talk with my CEO about UBI, AI, and minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage is going to kickstart a crazy set of events that a lot of people aren't ready for. Honestly, I'm for it because I'm willing to work my ass off and I know I'll find a way to be rewarded.

When they tried to push the minimum wage up the last time, didn’t McDonald’s start installing order kiosks? That also pushed app developers to make app ordering as well. People aren’t getting the fact that this push isn’t helping, it’s just flat killing jobs and forcing automation.

When they tried to push the minimum wage up the last time, didn’t McDonald’s start installing order kiosks? That also pushed app developers to make app ordering as well. People aren’t getting the fact that this push isn’t helping, it’s just flat killing jobs and forcing automation.
Edited by Exodus

The other issue I have with blanket hikes on minimum wage are the overall loss of those jobs to automation and what about those who made over minimum wage before but below this new wage? It will also affect their jobs. At some point people have to see that the job they are performing isn’t worth $15/hr.

Yes they did, I was involved with installing those kiosks and made a good bit per site. $15/hr minimum wage will push companies into automation for a lot more things and push more than most realize into the AI world to get things done. Example being law firms won't hire people to do a lot of the research tasks and burger flipping robots are an actual thing.

Works for me though, I have 25yrs of field service skills and I'm on the preferred list of hundreds of solution providers around the world to fix this tech shit.

Here's a video of one such robot juts for giggles https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/6/21503892/miso-robotics-flippy-roar-robotic-fry-chef-on-sale-price

Yes they did, I was involved with installing those kiosks and made a good bit per site. $15/hr minimum wage will push companies into automation for a lot more things and push more than most realize into the AI world to get things done. Example being law firms won't hire people to do a lot of the research tasks and burger flipping robots are an actual thing.

Works for me though, I have 25yrs of field service skills and I'm on the preferred list of hundreds of solution providers around the world to fix this tech shit.

I’ve been busy as hell since COVID hit, this is just more icing on the shit sandwich I’ve been eating already.

I'm very familiar with watching the impacts of increasing the starting pay for frontline employees. Many a companies will end up cutting bonus' from management and there team sizes explodes to make up the difference. Then add in hr chasing a employee retention goal due to budgeting, allows taters to still be employed when they should have been canned long ago.

Publicly traded companies whose duty is generating maximum profit for shareholders will shift to automation regardless. Automation has accelerated the last few years, partially because the technology is getting cheaper, but also because of the low unemployment rate. The inability to find qualified workers has forced many places to focus on improving efficiency through more automation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm not a paranoid type of person, but there is something very strange going on with social media right now, specifically Facebook.

I know several people in the aftermarket industry that have had their personal accounts shutdown, been blocked from posting in groups, or both here in the past week. These aren't crazy left wing or right wing people, hell they mostly just post car/pet/family stuff if anything.

We're also seeing our magazine Facebook pages get hit with restrictions due to them "violating community standards". These are Facebook pages that have done nothing to violate anything.

I'm seeing the same thing from other people in the industry having pages get hit that really don't go anywhere crazy at all or don't post much.

My theory based on my expereince running social media accounts professionally for the past 4 years is that Facebook is REALLY messing with stuff right now. This happens every time they try to tweak the algorythm or alter what you see in your news feed. We saw this when they went after "fake news", but nothing to this level.

I'm not a paranoid type of person, but there is something very strange going on with social media right now, specifically Facebook.

I know several people in the aftermarket industry that have had their personal accounts shutdown, been blocked from posting in groups, or both here in the past week. These aren't crazy left wing or right wing people, hell they mostly just post car/pet/family stuff if anything.

We're also seeing our magazine Facebook pages get hit with restrictions due to them "violating community standards". These are Facebook pages that have done nothing to violate anything.

I'm seeing the same thing from other people in the industry having pages get hit that really don't go anywhere crazy at all or don't post much.

My theory based on my expereince running social media accounts professionally for the past 4 years is that Facebook is REALLY messing with stuff right now. This happens every time they try to tweak the algorythm or alter what you see in your news feed. We saw this when they went after "fake news", but nothing to this level.

Yep. My buddy who makes badges/emblems from cars just posted the other day about going to an external website because FB is putting restrictions on shit.

Crazy.. and stupid at the same time.

Yep. Just about all the Detailing Groups I'm on have put up stickies noting that the admins are NOT the ones removing posts that it's Facebook and the bots. I rarely if ever see even remotely offensive posts in these groups either as it's just detailing chat. The rare instance anything strays to politics, etc. it gets huge backlash as the groups are fun and not into that stuff. Very odd.

There needs to be a mass exodus of Facebook and Twitter. They need to go the way of myspace. I've never done facebook. I signed up for it years ago and saw right away it wasn't something I was interested in so deleted it and never looked back.

There needs to be a mass exodus of Facebook and Twitter. They need to go the way of myspace. I've never done facebook. I signed up for it years ago and saw right away it wasn't something I was interested in so deleted it and never looked back.

I closed mine long ago and never looked back.

I would gladly give up FB if it wasn't for the Groups. I hate the FB Groups layout but its hard to hate on the amount of info I get from some of these groups. It just sucks for doing any sort of build thread or having anything categorized. It also gets super old seeing the same things posted over and over again.

My personal account of 11+ years was shut down 6-7 months ago for no apparent reason. Literally went to sign in and it said my account was suspended. I tried to get access to it again and FB said nope. Ended up creating a new account literally for sales of parts but honestly ive been seriously considering closing that account. I very rarely look at it anymore.

My personal account of 11+ years was shut down 6-7 months ago for no apparent reason. Literally went to sign in and it said my account was suspended. I tried to get access to it again and FB said nope. Ended up creating a new account literally for sales of parts but honestly ive been seriously considering closing that account. I very rarely look at it anymore.

Dealing with them is just terrible. I had to fight them for over a year about posts we made for SpeedVideo that they said violated the TOS. Post taken down, I filed an appeal, they would put post back up.

The only thing they've improved is the intellectual property theft reporting system. They actually enforce their own rules now.