Need an ASE mechanic…

Johnny2theG

Or an inside person at a Ford garage.

I’m looking to get the stage 2 power pack from Ford for my mustang. Nothing crazy, throttle body, intake, and tune. The catch is that it needs to be installed by Ford or a certified mechanic to avoid any warranty drama. I’ve called all the big dealerships in central Ohio to get a quote and all of them needed to ‘check into it’ and get back to me. I haven’t gotten one call back in the last week.

I would love to give Ford the opportunity to do it but it seems like they have bigger fish to fry. If anyone has an insider at one of the local dealerships I’d be happy to work with them. Otherwise if there is a go-to certified mechanic this group prefers, I’m happy to go that route as well.

As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Was it Lebanon ford that was selling the rough mustangs? I would definitely check into them as they have experienced techs with ford performance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Who says it needs to be a "certified" mechanic and what is their definition? The reason I ask, is Ford has a different certification program from ASE. If it is for Ford warranty, I would guess they want a Ford Technician. If it is an aftermarket warranty, I would guess an ASE technician is acceptable. There are also different levels. 1 Ford certification can be a Ford certified Technician but, if they are certified in brakes, does that help you in your performance requirement? They may want a Master or even a Senior Master. The same applies for ASE. They could be certified in Diesel Brakes or a Master Automotive.

Who says it needs to be a "certified" mechanic and what is their definition? The reason I ask, is Ford has a different certification program from ASE. If it is for Ford warranty, I would guess they want a Ford Technician. If it is an aftermarket warranty, I would guess an ASE technician is acceptable. There are also different levels. 1 Ford certification can be a Ford certified Technician but, if they are certified in brakes, does that help you in your performance requirement? They may want a Master or even a Senior Master. The same applies for ASE. They could be certified in Diesel Brakes or a Master Automotive.

Don’t quote me but I believe to Maintain the ford warranty it has to be done at a Ford certified dealer

Good call on Rabid and Lebanon, I’ll give them a try. I tried Dick Masheter; still waiting to hear back.

Good question on the specific requirements on what certified means to Ford. On the mustang forums the guys said any ase certified mechanic can do the work, but I’m not seeing anything online that can back that up.

Appreciate the comments guys.

Good call on Rabid and Lebanon, I’ll give them a try. I tried Dick Masheter; still waiting to hear back.

Good question on the specific requirements on what certified means to Ford. On the mustang forums the guys said any ase certified mechanic can do the work, but I’m not seeing anything online that can back that up.

Appreciate the comments guys.

Is this on your 2016? The warranty is only the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

In other news, it does allow it to be any authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or endorsed by the Red Seal Program (RSE).

Good info, appreciate you sharing. It is for my 2016 but I have premiumcare out to 100k miles and lifetime drivetrain. My biggest concern would be impacting those as I plan to keep this car for the long haul. I’ll be sure to bring that up with the Ford service tech

I did a Ford powerpack on my 2018 Ecoboost - I installed it all and used an ASC mechanic in Plain City to give me a receipt for doing it, I paid him for the receipt that outlined installing it. He knew I knew what I was doing. That said, be aware that Ford Racing actually takes over the warranty and supersedes the factory warranty, at least that is how I read it. I do not have that anymore and have a 2020 Mustang GT instead and will not be installing Ford Racing's kit on it. I found on my Ecoboost, the flasher they give you is really kind of buggy - I had to flash it twice. And putting it back to stock when I traded it in was a scary proposition as it did not seem to 'take'. I was worried I'd have to have to towed to Ford and flashed back to stock.

The other thing to consider, is my old 2018 Ecoboost Mustang LOST MPH in the 1/4 mile with it installed. Dead stock it did 13.7 at 102 - with it, the best I ever did was 13.6 at 99. Loss of MPH means loss of HP. It felt faster seat of the pants, but it wasn't. I'd guess they just played games with the drive by wire to get a quicker 'feel' out of it. I contacted Ford Racing about the loss of MPH and they turned it over to their calibration engineers. After a few months I got a response, they looked at the code and everything was corrected - translated, they do not care.

The other thing to consider, is my old 2018 Ecoboost Mustang LOST MPH in the 1/4 mile with it installed. Dead stock it did 13.7 at 102 - with it, the best I ever did was 13.6 at 99. Loss of MPH means loss of HP. It felt faster seat of the pants, but it wasn't. I'd guess they just played games with the drive by wire to get a quicker 'feel' out of it. I contacted Ford Racing about the loss of MPH and they turned it over to their calibration engineers. After a few months I got a response, they looked at the code and everything was corrected - translated, they do not care.

That's is crazy..the loss of mph...I can believe they didn't care..they had your cash