Post-COVID fun car for sub-$6k?

zeitgeist57

I've currently got my hands full with the RV and various house/family items, but my son and I are always talking about a "fun car" option in the next year or so. I've had good luck in the wintertime looking at CL/FBM for cheap beaters when everyone is hibernating and their bitchy women want the project out of the garage so their Escape with "Live, Laff, Lubb" sticker can come in from the snow.

Thought it would be a fun distraction from politics/COVAIDS to figure out decent platform options to look out for!

+STICK!!!

+RWD.

+No/minimal rust.

+sunroof/targa top.

+at least 225hp.

+A/C would be awesome.

Avoiding FWD, and AWD for cost/complexity (My Volvo S60 Turbo AWD was a good platform but servicing an inop AWD system was costly and not as big of a handling benefit aside from rt.555). Would be nice to have more than 2 seats for kiddos.This would be 99% street/highway driven, with the idea that an occasional trackday/rt.555 run would be a blast.

Infiniti G35/Nissan 350Z - they are very cheap now for what you get, but at this price point they've been ragged out by driftbois.

Mustang - great cheap RWD platform, but I've never really liked driving one in curves unless the suspension is massively updated.

Camaro/Trans-Am - I'd almost choose this over Mustang but 3rd/4th gens are unnecessarily long. Great aftermarket support like the Mustang.

Porsche 944? - man, the older 80s/90s German stuff is very outdated with what has come out in the last 15-20 years. Plus, very expensive for 150ish HP.

Boxster - early ones are now in the $7-10k range all-day...still pricey to maintain but seems like they've bottomed out in price and likely will be a great platform in the future.

Corvette C4 - had one, but similar to Zee Germans above, 90s tech is pretty old school compared to what C5's offer for a few grand more. Is it worth it to move up to C5?

Classic cars (like Corvair, muscle cars, Beetles, etc) - seems like you get simplicity but you have to spend lots of $$$ to get comparative modern-day performance/amenities out of them.

Curious to hear peoples' thoughts, from experience and their own searches.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been looking at SN95 Mustangs lately. Can still get V8 stick cars, even verts, for under $6K for a GT. Anything past that is tater money though.

as far as as classics:

- 80's G-Bodies are something I have been watching. Anything with a performance badge (Monte SS, 442, etc...) is tater priced, but there are plenty of grandma grand prix's for around $4000-$5000 with nice bodies and interiors. There are stick conversion kits for them and a hughe aftermarket. Malibu wagons, and even some El Camino's are reasonably priced (although nice Elky's go for about $10K). I keep thinking about this dream project of an early 80's grand prix with the 2+2 nose, a 3800 and 5 speed out of a 4th gen camaro, and the whole top end from a 3800SC with supercharger bolted on top. There is a guy on the g-body forum who built one like that in a monte chassis and he runs 11's, the whole thing was mostly bolt in except for headers and modifying the v6 motor mounts.

- Corvairs. I feel like if you can't find a running driving stick 65-69 corvair coupe for $4500, you aren't trying. The design team that designed the 1967-69 camaro also designed the 1965-69 corvair. Decent aftermarket support. Not really "fast" but handle well for an old car, there are decent upgrades for the suspension for not a lot of money, but you have to fall down the club racing rabbit hole.

- AMC anything. One of the really interesting quirks about AMC is they re-used a lot of parts. on Power tour I ran into a guy with a hornet that had a full Jeep 4.0L I6 swap with fuel injection and a 2wd AX15 trans out of a 1990's XJ Cherokee. Apparently the I6 motor mounts are the same on the block from the early 3.6 I6's of the 60's all the way to the last 4.0L I6's in 2006. It bolts right in (you do need to have the driveshaft lengthened/shortened based on chassis though). With an AMC buy the best body rolling chassis you can afford and then get a rotted to the gills XJ off CL for $800 and swap everything drivetrain over. 2 Door clean ramblers with engine issues are about $5K right now, some of the later 70's obscure AMC stuff like hornets and Spirits are about half that. Heck, I even saw a clean $6K Jeep Commando (think Jeepster but 4wd) in Dayton on FB marketplace which is a good value for an open top 70's 4wd SUV.

- Old weirdo european cars. E21 bmws are still cheap, but I doubt you want to touch a 4cyl beemer ever again - even one where the upgrade is to put the m42 you hate into it. Some of the older Volvos aren't doing too bad price wise. I saw a 1972 142 volvo coupe for $3800 on FB marketplace this AM in ohio. body was clean but the engine was roached - great candidate for an LS swap. 70's mercedes SL roadsters are still cheap, most of them are automatics though. E34 bmw 5-series are cheap, and they came with stick. If you buy a 1992-1995 e34 manual trans car, the engine from an e36 M3 drops right into the chassis and plugs into the body harness (you have to use the 5 series manual trans though since it clocks different from a 3 series one).

- Old 1960's-1980's jaguar XJ6s are never a bad choice, esp if they have been chevy swapped. Still plenty under $6K but they all need some work. never manual here in the states, but the parts for manual conversions are available through jag parts sellers. If it's chevy swapped, stick is a T5 and a pedal assembly away.

- 2 door S-series blazers. Came stick, tons of support for a v8 swap (or find a v8 swapped one).

Edited by Geeto67

Could you find a Honda Prelude that would fit that bill? I know that lots of them have been ragged out and beat to shit. Are there nice ones still available in that price range?

Ooops, for some reason I thought they were RWD.

Edited by Richard Cranium

- 80's G-Bodies are something I have been watching. Anything with a performance badge (Monte SS, 442, etc...) is tater priced, but there are plenty of grandma grand prix's for around $4000-$5000 with nice bodies and interiors. There are stick conversion kits for them and a hughe aftermarket. Malibu wagons, and even some El Camino's are reasonably priced (although nice Elky's go for about $10K). I keep thinking about this dream project of an early 80's grand prix with the 2+2 nose, a 3800 and 5 speed out of a 4th gen camaro, and the whole top end from a 3800SC with supercharger bolted on top. There is a guy on the g-body forum who built one like that in a monte chassis and he runs 11's, the whole thing was mostly bolt in except for headers and modifying the v6 motor mounts.

- AMC anything. One of the really interesting quirks about AMC is they re-used a lot of parts. on Power tour I ran into a guy with a hornet that had a full Jeep 4.0L I6 swap with fuel injection and a 2wd AX15 trans out of a 1990's XJ Cherokee. Apparently the I6 motor mounts are the same on the block from the early 3.6 I6's of the 60's all the way to the last 4.0L I6's in 2006. It bolts right in (you do need to have the driveshaft lengthened/shortened based on chassis though). With an AMC buy the best body rolling chassis you can afford and then get a rotted to the gills XJ off CL for $800 and swap everything drivetrain over. 2 Door clean ramblers with engine issues are about $5K right now, some of the later 70's obscure AMC stuff like hornets and Spirits are about half that. Heck, I even saw a clean $6K Jeep Commando (think Jeepster but 4wd) in Dayton on FB marketplace which is a good value for an open top 70's 4wd SUV.

- 2 door S-series blazers. Came stick, tons of support for a v8 swap (or find a v8 swapped one).

+1 on all these ideas. Another option on the s-series would be a Typhoon clone.

My brother has an AMC Rambler with a built 360 in it. Parts swap between Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep/AMC for many generations. Also leaves you open to crazy off the wall ideas like AMC Eagle AWD with turbo diesel, AMC or GM motor options, etc.

From a "driving in the twisties" perspective:

NC (06-15) Miata -- These were dipping into the 6k range pre-COVID. NA/NB prices have started trending upward and I don't see them coming back down (for clean examples), and while the NC is finally starting to see some love, it's still a bit of a black sheep in the Miata world.

00-05 MR2 -- Not as plentiful as the Miata, but was a sub-$10k car pre-COVID and if you weren't picky you could get them in your price range

Scion FR-S -- was easily sub-10k pre-COVID, but it's still a "newish" car and I never saw them for 6.

Of that least, 2 don't have back seats and one doesn't have a sunroof or targa, and the 'verts would require a rollbar to be trackday legal. Aren't I helpful?

Scion FR-S -- was easily sub-10k pre-COVID, but it's still a "newish" car and I never saw them for 6.

I've had a kind of idea of a fun/small relatively inexpensive RWD sportyish car as a DD bouncing around in my head occasionally. Get one that's in just alright condition so it's OK to drive in the winter. Add snow tires and it would decimate all at racewarz. The BRZ/FRS/86 is one that popped into my head. I hadn't looked before, so this made me curious again. Of the 944 on Autotrader I think 3 are less than $10k (fake, stolen or beyond beat?) and it seems like they realistically start at ~$12k. Thanks covid-parts shortage-flation.

It sucks that it’s so far away because every time one of these threads come up I find 20+ cars that fit the bill in a 15 minutes search on FB. Plus they’re all so rust free it’s rediculous. I’m still not used to seeing 80s 90s and 2000s cars with zero rust anywhere.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3932889273481924/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/394041235441036/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2983863231931009/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/549194109680294/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/559040241954263/

I love the SN-95 option. You are right, yes they need not only suspension but some chassis stiffening. But parts are super cheap.

I wanted my 01 Bullitt to not ride and handle like a pickup truck. IRS swap, springs, shocks/struts, and bushings and the car handles FANTASTIC. Power? 4.6 cars- add a second hand Vortech kit. $2700 and you're making 380ish WHP to the tire with a few bolt-ons.

Should definitely be some mustangs in that range. I just spent roughly 750 on struts and springs to replace o.e. stuff from 94. 17" tires are getting to be a little dated, so I stepped up to 18s($1k) makes a whopping 245 whp/286 tq gets out of its own way, but isnt winning any races in this form. on3 is getting some of my money this winter. If you wanna drive a fairly clean example, you got my number

From a "driving in the twisties" perspective:

NC (06-15) Miata -- These were dipping into the 6k range pre-COVID. NA/NB prices have started trending upward and I don't see them coming back down (for clean examples), and while the NC is finally starting to see some love, it's still a bit of a black sheep in the Miata world.

00-05 MR2 -- Not as plentiful as the Miata, but was a sub-$10k car pre-COVID and if you weren't picky you could get them in your price range

Of that least, 2 don't have back seats and one doesn't have a sunroof or targa, and the 'verts would require a rollbar to be trackday legal. Aren't I helpful?

I looked for clean MR2's and FRS's for a while (trying for same price range as Clay) and can't find anything. All the FRS/BRZ's that I find want $12k+. All the MR2's are rusty piles of junk under $10k.

Clay, FWIW, I've been looking for the same thing. I've seen a few 2nd gen Audi TT's (one has a slipping trans so unsure about that), first gen IS300's and BMW 335i coupes are in that range too. Lots of G35/350Z's. I've tried to find a decent Lexus GS300/400 but most up here are ragged out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you'd go c4 I've heard or read somewhere you want an 87 z-51 optioned car.

I too thought boxster but then you have the ims issue along with several other possible issues.

The z is a really nice car and if and this is a BIG IF you can find one not ragged out would be great, but imho the vert is bad looking and worse looking with the top down.

Good luck in you hunt !

I looked for clean MR2's and FRS's for a while (trying for same price range as Clay) and can't find anything. All the FRS/BRZ's that I find want $12k+. All the MR2's are rusty piles of junk under $10k.

I'm assuming Clay is talking about post-COVID, when prices go back to normal. Nothing good can be purchased for under $6k right now, as far as I'm concerned. The market is a complete shit-show.

You're basically on the same list as me once insurance on the bike pays out.

Infiniti G35/Nissan 350Z - I don't need another VQ

Mustang - Never driven one but 00-02 Cobras seem to be attainable in this price range if you haggle the guy down

Camaro/Trans-Am - Most seem ratted, although I'd own an I-ROC for the lulz

Porsche 944? - Expensive miata

Boxster - Expensive rear engine miata

Corvette C4 - Viable?

Classic cars (like Corvair, muscle cars, Beetles, etc) - at this price range it is infinite money pit

Miata is my master plan. A clean NB and a flying miata turbo kit should be feasible for about 11k? outside your range but thats what I'm eyeing as best bang for buck

INB4CLAYBUYSASNOWMOBILE!

You mentioned room for the growing kids then mentioned a few 2 seaters with back shelves. Would a C5 or 350Z really fit your kids well for a trip down and a run on 555? Honest question as I haven't seen your kids in awhile but I gotta imagine that would be a long, cramped, ride in the rear "seat".

You then mention Camaro's and TA's but say they're too long. Your Vulva was ~182". A 3rd gen 'Maro is ~192", and your Lincoln is ~230". :lol: I get what you're saying but would you REALLY notice a difference between 182" and 192"? I mean, I guess ten inches is ten inches. Personally I'd LOVE a 3rd gen Camaro but they've just gotten silly with the pricing. The ones worth owning anyway.

I think that would be fun but not sure Clay and Co. would think that is fun on 555 and the tracks. Maybe it would. Dunno.

Could you find a Honda Prelude that would fit that bill? I know that lots of them have been ragged out and beat to shit. Are there nice ones still available in that price range?

Were any of those RWD or 225HP?

Aren't I helpful?

:lol:

I can't get away from C4s. I'm constantly looking for one that's cheap enough to be my salt car.

SaLt LiFe!

...but these seem to check ALL boxes for ya, Clay. Outdated? Maybe, but look at what else you have out back. Take the kids for a ride in the RV, then the Lincoln, then a C4. It'll feel AMAZING. lol

If you wanna drive a fairly clean example, you got my number

Does that offer extend to anyone who has your number?

I'm assuming Clay is talking about post-COVID, when prices go back to normal. Nothing good can be purchased for under $6k right now, as far as I'm concerned. The market is a complete shit-show.

I 98% agree. There's some hidden gems but most anything (going back to what Kerry said also) that even HINTS to "rare" like, "IROC-Z", "442", "SS", etc, is just lol right now and even ones that aren't "SUPER RARE! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!" are elevated.

A clean NB...

A clean NB hasn't existed since about 1987.

Prelude is Fail Wheel Drive, none of the generations are Right Wheel Drive.

You are welcome to drive my S4 to see if you like it. I know it's awd (but they typically don't have any problems I am aware of beyond the occasional cv axle). The v8 is a ton of fun and it sounds good, it's fairly easy to toss around and the kids will have slightly more legroom than some of the options above (my 9 year old can sit comfortably behind my big ass).

The downsides, they are hard to find in your price range with the chains done, but not impossible. If you have to work on them it may seem harder than it is, or it could be just as bad as you think, depends on what it needs. The engine bay is tight though.