to buy or not to buy the Duc 996

AOW

Found a black 2001 DUCATI 996 for $7k w/7k+ miles on it out in CA near my final destination. The last sportbike I owned (this is really going to date me) was a Honda Hurricane, so I'm relying on you more edu-ma-cated fuksticks to enlighten me as to whether this is a decent deal and bike, and tell me if there are recalls, service bulletins, or just shit I need to ask about and look for.... Thanks in advance.

2001 Ducati 996 in high gloss black. It has 7,XXX miles and is in excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically.

* Five spoke Marchesini wheels

* Carbon fiber slip-ons by Marving of Italy

* Arrow performance EPROM

* Cam belts checked and tension adjusted

* New Bridgestone BT016 tires ready to install with 190 rear (not shown in photos). Add $275 to the price if you want them

Rides and runs perfectly. I have just completed a thorough check out and everything is as it should be mechanically. Needs nothing but fuel and a very experienced rider who can keep up with this thoroughbred.

$7,000

DCP_0202.jpg

DCP_0220.jpg

DCP_0223.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got my bt016's for 215 shipped. cost installed is a whole different matter, so i'd say not a bad deal for the tires unless you do your own tire changes.

i've been told a lot of people think the 916 style (this includes 916, 748, 996, 998) bikes are not very comfortable at all. It's plenty comfy when you're riding twisties. also, i've done a couple trips from mentor to canton, ride twisties, and back, and it was about the same as any other sport bike (including my rsvr and 600rr). you should definitely sit on one in any case... the seating position is definitely interesting.

this place is awesome! Where else can you get 17 responses in 45min?

Yeah, I noticed the repaint but not really a big deal (although I really don't like black bikes)

I'm not worried about recalls or service bulletins, just want to be sure that if there are any they get addressed before I get the bike or I can deduct for my time to have them done. Keep the info coming folks, I really appreciate the info.

As long as you aren't scared of spending money and not being 100% sure you will make it home when you go on a ride I say "Go for it."

Also' date=' if you are worried about recalls, bulletins and whatnot you may want to avoid this Ducati. (or any Ducati, for that matter.) They are fantastic bikes with a high return on ride experience but it isn't a Honda. It will required money and time now and then. Mostly money...

That black sure is sexy. I was just telling John on Sunday that I want to paint Gemma black and leave her frame and wheels bronze.[/quote']

i wouldnt buy it.

and why is that

It's because you're a bengals fan isn't it?

maybe. haha

personally i really dont like the look from the front of those older ones

x2

and why is that

not really a fan of ducs. like justin, i dont like the front ends either. they sound weird. doesnt look comfy at all. i dont know if people actually like the bike, or the ducati name.

two things i notice more with the ducati guys (not saying paul or the people on here are like this, or everyone that has one)... but in general they seem like they put themselves on a higher pedistool because they have one. and when they buy their expensive bike, they dont usually ride it correctly? i dont know what word im looking for there. like they baby it or something.

i also think a duc in cali would be more of a risk getting stolen.

lol my bad what i ment was im japanese and i used to be all in to japanses bike, yes duc have a weird nosie only because its a dry clutch vs a wet clutch like jap bike as in comfort " hell no " the bike is like sitting on brick, having a duc it like owning a lambo or ferrari you dont have to have on but you want one dont rag on duc until you have a chance to ride one ...even then duc and jap bike are 2 differ breeds