to buy or not to buy the Duc 996

AOW

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in consideration now of a '99 748, but the maintenance aspect of it has me asking lots of questions. The RC is a blast, and outperforms the Duc in everything but looks. I just love the look of the old Ducs (916-996, & 748). Just sexy.

what sound dont you like about a duc what do you mean engine or exhaust it sounds like a ferrari on 2 wheels they have deep and loud tone to the exhaust and the clutch noise is only there when the clutch is pulled in not in N like i said if you own a duc yes its very expenssive on maintance and stuff but thats what you get you dont buy a duc because you need one you buy a duc because you can " take no offence im just trying to make a point "

two things i notice more with the ducati guys (not saying paul or the people on here are like this, or everyone that has one)... but in general they seem like they put themselves on a higher pedistool because they have one. and when they buy their expensive bike, they dont usually ride it correctly? i dont know what word im looking for there. like they baby it or something.i also think a duc in cali would be more of a risk getting stolen.

Most Duc owners I've encountered really do baby the bike and either are afraid to "RIDE" it or just plain afraid of it. As far as more likely for theft, everything has a higher theft risk in CA, the population of most cities is equal to or greater than the population of most states.

i may consider sell my 996 .look at my album and tell me witch bike is more clean.+ im local

You're only local for another 8days then I'll be in CA. That would mean having to ship another bike (and another $600). Not that I wouldn't consider that. How many miles on that 996 of yours?

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the 996. They are hot bikes and very rewarding to own and ride. However' date=' she's getting old and he said the 'belts were inspected and tensioned'...

The bike prolly needs new belts, valves adjusted and a few rockers replaced. Maybe it wasn't ridden very hard and maybe it was. Rocker arms for that model Ducati (desmoquattro) run close to $200 each. There are 16 of them in that engine. (8 openers and 8 closers) How many need replaced/resurfaced?? Who knows? Has the owner had the valves inspected? The service interval is every 6,000 miles. It has 7,000 miles.. it should have had at least one major service and the belts should have been replaced. That service can cost anywhere from $1000-1500 depending on service and parts required. Start replacing rocker arms and the cost goes up, up, up.

If it were me I'd probably buy the bike. It looks clean and probably is just like new. I am also aware of the 'characteristics' of these older superbikes. They aren't without flaw. Don't expect to buy it and not have to put money into it. I keep Gemma in perfect running condition. This ensures that my riding experiences are the best they can be. (read: she gets me home every time) There is a cost for that kind of reliability and I pay the price.

I could buy a Honda and never think twice about maintenance. Of course, I'd prolly fall asleep behind the bars from boredom. :cool:[/quote']

Good input and heads up! I'm not afraid to put money into a bike (hell I own a Harley for Pete's sake), just want to know what to look forward to. I've performed 90% of the mods to my VROD myself, so I'm not afraid to get a service manual and spend a week to do a 2 day job wrenching. this will be a second bike, not a replacement bike.

you should get a bike because you want it not what others think you should ride express your self and get it if you want it any way ! let go riding

I'm not asking for opinions on how or where I should spend my money. I am asking for insight into the characteristics of the bike, longevity, service history, and short comings. I value input from those that have spent time in the saddle of sport bikes and Ducs. I'm too far removed from riding sportbikes to really trust my instincts alone. I'm sure I've been riding for almost as long as some of you have been alive, but you folks are closer to the pulse of the sportbike arena and are (I surely hope) more in touch with ins and outs, ups and downs of most of the bikes.

i buy my 966 last fall.the bike look clean just like this one.the guy told me he did the 12000 maintence ,its same as 6000 miles,i just start ride so i know nothing so i trust him.big bull.the bike look like new but nothing been service.i have change belts,service the valves,new chain,new clutch plates,new tires,new master clutch cylinder.new brakes,all oil is change.pretty much everything is replace.i pay $ 7000 just like you ,but i spend another $ 3000 on maintenance.what i learn lots of duc owners get rid of their bikes before big maintenance.i know another guy he just by 748 and the bikes is trash.same problem belts ,cylinders,clutch,no maintenance.and look like this bike have lots different parts,and why you paint the bike black?remember so far you just buying picture.i love my bike but make sure this bike have all the maintenance done or it will cost you.on mine just broke throtle cable and i was waiting 3 weeks to get new one from italy.

if you not worry about money then definitely go for it.thats what i did .when i see that bike i want no matter what.its great bike.i have one and i like same as my 848,and i had H-D before too..i talk to my girlfriend and she say to keep it.

I ALWAYS worry about money. Just want to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into once I "kick" the tires and such on this Duc. Great info so far, and gave me nice long list of things to ask and look for.

Very nice. Worth the $. But Issac's Papa is right, not original paint. Who cares why it was repainted as long as its straight and YOU like it. It definitely will cost you more for maintenance and parts. Now if you don't mind dropping $15,000.00 I know where there is a '98 SPS, of which only 50 were imported, and about 24 are left that are accounted for. Motocorsse exhaust and other parts. 425 original miles. Very nice.

hey andre.... buy the bike.... you'll not regret it.... if i had the cash for another one I'd buy anything with 2 wheels that could beat vrod dave.... and keep my heavy bitch for enjoying the road....

I'm really missing being on a bike made to carve the twisties and canyon roads. Especially now that I'm heading back to CA and house is hour northeast of the office I'll be running, and an hour southwest of the corp office. That's a lot of smiles, I mean miles:D

Part of me still thinks I'll total it like the last one, sometimes you just don't have enough rear tire no matter how wide it is. The other part of me is saying that I'm older and wiser and would never push a bike beyond my or its limits. Yeah, no fark'n chance of that happening. A man only got so much self control, (no matter how religious he is:wink:)

I do know I will have a second bike in the stable this season, and it will either be a dedicated sport bike or a sport touring bike. Would be nice to have a bike that I can pack a weekend or a weeks worth of crap into the hard cases and take off for the wine country or just do the Pacific Coast Highway from start to finish and back again.

Edited by AOW