oil pressure light

K8SuzukiGSX-R

Hey guys i just changed my oil and my oil level reads right between the 2 lines. I used a Fram oil filter and Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil 4 stroke. So far I put a little over 2qts. I started my bike and my oil pressure light won't go off? Did i do something wrong here? I checked for leaks and nothing? any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys i just changed my oil and my oil level reads right between the 2 lines. I used a Fram oil filter and Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil 4 stroke. So far I put a little over 2qts. I started my bike and my oil pressure light won't go off? Did i do something wrong here? I checked for leaks and nothing? any help is appreciated. Thanks!

How long did you run it? I know my light won't go off for about 15 sec after starting but I think it has something to do with the dry sump.

I ran it for at least a couple minutes. And when I didn't see the light turn off I turned it off. I didn't put oil in the oil filter but I did lube the oil ring on the filter with some oil prior to installing it. To be exact I put 2 qts and on the 3rd qt it is at about 22oz left. Should i add more?

Edited by K8SuzukiGSX-R

It should say somewhere around the oil fill how much it should hold.

I'm going to side with everyone else and say that's not enough. Fire it up let it idle for a few seconds then blip the throttle a few times. After that shut it off and wait 30 sec or so and see where the oil level reads then.

With 2qts in it still running it for a few seconds at idle or a bit above isn't going to do any damage.

should be close to 3 qts man. mine holds like 2.6. check your owners manual and make sure you put in the right amount. oh and did you fill up the filter before you put it on?
It takes a little over 3 quarts to fill my 06 Suzuki.

Seriously!?:eek:

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but my 750 says 2200ml on the case but i usually only put ~2.5 quarts with a filter change.

How long did you run it? I know my light won't go off for about 15 sec after starting but I think it has something to do with the dry sump.

Your RSV is dry sump?

This may sound stupid of me to say... but make sure the bike is standing vertical when you check the sight glass on the side of the engine case, or the dipstick. Most dipsticks are top mark is full, and bottom mark is add some amount.

holy shit my f4i takes 4 qts. make sure all of the plastic wrap on the end of the filter got off it before install I have seen a minut piece of plastic clog a valley and blow a motor

should be close to 3 qts man. mine holds like 2.6.
Seriously!?:eek:

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but my 750 says 2200ml on the case but i usually only put ~2.5 quarts with a filter change.

mine says 2200 ml as well. the manual says 2.6 qts which translates to about 83 ounces. i actually use a measuring cup to make sure i get the right amount

I ran it for at least a couple minutes. And when I didn't see the light turn off I turned it off. I didn't put oil in the oil filter but I did lube the oil ring on the filter with some oil prior to installing it. To be exact I put 2 qts and on the 3rd qt it is at about 22oz left. Should i add more?

you answered your own question

thanks for the heads up. I actually sat on my bike and had my gf check the gauge and take a pic on her iphone. Then we switched and did the same thing just to be on the safe side.

This may sound stupid of me to say... but make sure the bike is standing vertical when you check the sight glass on the side of the engine case, or the dipstick. Most dipsticks are top mark is full, and bottom mark is add some amount.

thanks for the heads up. I actually sat on my bike and had my gf check the gauge and take a pic on her iphone. Then we switched and did the same thing just to be on the safe side.

geez... that's funny, but it works.

so if i were to add a little oil in my filter this would prevent something like this from happening again?

Pre-oiling the filter is so it takes less time for it to move through the filter and onwards through the engine but you probably can't put much in since the filter mounts sideways?

This may not keep you light from coming on. That may have literally been too little oil in the system.

If you have enough and it does it, it can be air. It's done that to me twice in my years of oil changing. I normally just keep the fill cap off after I turned the bike off for about 30 seconds or so and it usually goes away. Most of the time, filling the filter before putting it on prevents it though.

Also...FRAM is the worst filter produced.

^ I don't know about that statement. my moms camaro z28 has 244k miles on it and has always had valvoline oil and a fram filter on it.

I also heard the ninja's are really goofy with the oil pressure not building up because of air trapped in it's filter or some crap like that.

that's a odd problem to have.

Edited by serpentracer