I need advice from veteran riders

kitani2126

I am fairly new to the bike world and would like some advice. My husband owns a bike and I have been think alot lately about getting one myself. However I am not sure what kind of bike to get or what kind of bike would be a good starter bike. I posted something a little while ago but I think the title wasn't worded right. Anyway.....Any advice I can get would be great.

Word to the wise, since you're a n00b. Don't create duplicate threads (even if your title isn't worded PERFECTLY). You will not become the friend of any of the moderators by doing that.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=28838

On to your predicament...

Have you taken the MSF?

Do you know how to use a clutch?

Do you have an aggressive enough personality to control a motorcycle and not be scared of it?

Ninja 250 is good, Honda Rebel, EX 500, GS500E or GS500F, Buell Blast, Hondamatics (for those that don't like clutches) or dare I say... a scooter.

(ninjanick, frome the other post)

I'm sorry, but I'm the outcast here because an old GEO STORM can out accelerate a 250. I say 500-600cc if you've ridden before. 250's in my opinion are best for in town riding, because on anything where you are surrounded by highway traffic I think they're dangerous. Just my opinion, don't get a 250, get a 500 or 600 if you want a sportbike. If you are small and weigh 120lbs then I'm sure a 250 is good then.

The ninja 250 may be a low powered bike, but they will do fine, even at highway speeds, as long as you're not afraid to ride it at highway speeds, meaning running 9k+ RPMs. More than 30 or so miles like that at once, and it might feel as though I'm running the piss out of it, but it's within it's design limits! I like to get off the highway and ride back roads anyway. It's a very capable bike in the corners.

Fair enough, but I'm not waiting 5 minutes to get up to 65MPH. :D

It gets up to 65 with no problems whatsoever. My only issue with the bike is that at under about 7000, the acceleration lags. You just have to keep the RPMs high. This translates into running around town in 2nd gear at high, sometimes annoying RPM's. And freeway riding at 9-9500 takes a toll on the body from the vibrations. But I am ready for a larger bike. Not that I dont love my 250, just ready for something with more power. If anyone has a 600 sportbike at a cheap to reasonable price let me know. Then Ill prob give her my 250. :D

The 250 Ninja is a great starter bike, as well as the Rebel and 250 Night Hawk.

Might I suggest something like an XR100 or TTR125 dirt bike? Small dirt bikes are great to learn on, you just need a field or a few easy trails to start with.

They don't mind being dropped and are light enough that most folks can easily pick them up. All the controls are the same, plus you may learn a bit of control when riding in slippery or loose surface conditions.

Not to mention that dirt biking is just a hoot!!

If you aren't familiar with a clutch, want to learn, and like the cruiser type I would say try suzuki's Boulevard 650. My Dad bought one for his Dad to learn again at 74 yrs old. He then sold it to my Aunt who used it to re-learn and pass her test.

The 650 is 1 cylinder and makes learning the clutch is very easy as it is almost impossible to stall the bike. The bike also has a very low center of gravity and very low seat height.

I bought my wife a Ninja 250,perfect starter bike.

I found it on craigslist for 1950 bucks. 2004 with 1672 miles in almost perfect shape.

I did better than that on Craigslist! Got my 2004 with almost 2400 miles for $950! I had no front fairings, but the turn signals were bolted to the side od the headlight, and it had a bar end mirror. It was good enough to ride, until I got the other parts and put them on it! Now, it's all together, and I still have under $1200 in it!

The good thing about the little Ninja is that the resale is still pretty good, because most people don't put many miles on them.

If you weren't in town, I would say a smal dirtbike would be good to learn on, even a dual-sport. (Hint hint, you guys need to find somewhere out this way to move to!) I thought about the dirt bike idea for my wife, I just don't think she'd go for it, since she seems to really like my bike.

Of course, the most important thing is to not worry about what it looks like as a primary decision, compared to how it feels, and how well you can ride it. When we went to get my wife's helmet, it was tough to get that idea to sink in, that the appearence is secondary to how it fits!

I said not a 250 because she stated that she has ridden BEFORE and it's just been awhile since then. She posted that in her first thread that got closed.

It doesn't matter to me what she gets. Free will. All we can do is give opinions.

Edited by NinjaNick

I keep trying to convince my wife to consider a Suzuki Savage, it would be just like her best friend's bike, then!

It is a good bike. Easy to handle and easy to learn. I proved to Grandpa that with finess you can get it rolling with no added gas... :lol: