how to stop hand from going numb.

Jsvob03

No, its not a how-to, but a question. My ride to/from work is 30 miles one way. not a big deal, except for the fact that my right (throttle) hand goes numb after about 2/3's of the ride. I support most all of my weigth thru the torso, and only keep my hand(s) on the bar for control, not really support.

My bike is a ninja 500, so its gonna have some vibrations, but enough to make my hand numb after about 15-20 miles? the motor mounts seem ok, and it runs about as good as any 500. I've thought about putting some money into heavy bar ends, better grips, and a corbin seat (just so i can ride more comfy), but i want a liter bike next spring, so im trying to put only as much money into the bike as the maintenance costs.

is there something i can alter w/ my riding style? better gloves maybe? or..?

i put this in the riding tips section as it seems to fit here. should it need moved, go for it. still feelin thru this place.

I have this http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/cruise_control/kuryakyn/universal_throttle_boss.html and it has helped. I like it better than a cramp buster because it doesn't stick out as much so it doesn't get snagged on my glove or take much getting used to.

I have also heard good things about the bar snake- http://www.barsnake.com/

I'll have that problem occassionaly, it tends to happen when you are going the same speed for long time,

in other words when you're not working the throttle and just hangin on. I just try to stretch my fingers every so often.

I have swift brand gloves. no gel. just leather.

i cruise around the 65-75 range for pretty much 30 solid miles. I've read around the 'net a bit, and pretty much everything says its resonant frequencies, and/or too much weight on the wrists. I lost the weight on the wrists shortly after i lost the handlebar death grip..2 years ago.

I'm not gonna say im perfect, but i dont think im doing anything wrong.

edit: Shift gloves, not swift lol.

Edited by Jsvob03

i cruise around the 65-75 range for pretty much 30 solid miles. I've read around the 'net a bit, and pretty much everything says its resonant frequencies, and/or too much weight on the wrists. I lost the weight on the wrists shortly after i lost the handlebar death grip..2 years ago.

The only other thing is ride more and get used to it. The more I ride the less my hand goes numb. If I have a couple days off I can feel a difference.

lol. I dont mind the feeling or whatever. I can deal with that. Its the whole cant squeeze the brake lever because my entire hand is numb. thats my concern. I dont care if i have the pins & needles feeling, i just need to be able to brake effectively.

I'll look into some better gloves i guess. thanks for the quick help, i'll check more tomorrow. need to sleep, 'cause work comes in 7 hours.

I had that issue when I first started riding, but it has gone away over time. I have issues with my hands anyway, since I've pretty much always had jobs where I work with my hands, and I though t riding might aggrevate things, but I have found that if I move my throttle hand around some, it works out well. I'll roll my hand on to the side, maintaining enough pressure down on the grip to keep the throttle where I want, and flex my fingers quite often.

This reminds me of that joke.......What's the difference between pink & purple??

Your grip. You're squeezin' it too tight.....Ease up there pardner!! evilgrin.gif

My throttle hand goes numb all the time. I find laying on the tank & taking some of the weight/pressure off my wrists, and wiggling my fingers helps

Throttle rocker and some decent good fitting gloves will help. My right and used to go numb all the time, not so much any more...oh and none of this before a ride :wackit: or at least use your left hand you can shift without a clutch if ya have to.

That's a 500 twin and just like the suzuki 500 twins they vibrate your teeth loose !! Nothing like the inlines !

Get some heavy bar ends or make some heavier ones yourself , but it's not gonna help much ?

Sorry, but that machine is known for that !!

Try the throttle rockers like everyone is saying. I use them and seem to have pretty good luck. I usually just set the palm of my hand on it and keep my hand extended flat with my fingertips resting on the brake, almost like I'm covering it. I rarely have problems like this, but I am also in different riding position. Get a cruiser for long rides. :)

i ride sometimes about 60miles all highway to work and i havent found a way around the numbness. One remedy i have found that helps is. take your thumb and put it on top with the rest of your fingers. (only do this on straight roads) its a different position with the hand and basically eliminates the pressure. after a few short minutes the numbness will tend to go away. my 2cts

Keep in mind if you have your wrist bent (hand upward) you can compress the nerves in your tunnel (carpal tunnel)... one of the symptoms is numbness in your fingers and the thumbside part of your palms.

I developed carpal tunnel when I started riding my bicycle.

Not saying that's what it is, just putting it out there.

Check your posture. Is your back slouched? This happens to me if I don't watch my posture and I'm unknowingly putting a lot of weight on my wrist.

It could also be CT. I know people who have had the surgery and this doesn't happen to them anymore. But I would start with the easy to fix stuff first, like the weight on your wrist and your posture. Try squeezing the tank with your legs (or your cock if it's big enough) and seeing if you notice a difference in your hand.

edit: Shift gloves, not swift lol.

This is my throttle hand. And yes, there is still a gap in the bone. Only time I have problems is when I am putting alot of pressure on the grip. You're doing it wrong.;)

arm2.jpg

used to get this ALL the time. Almost never now, the two things that helped me:

1- Loosen your grip on the throttle, just stay lightly on it with the glove, hell the friction between the gloves and the throttle with your hand completely open is usually enough to maintain constant throttle

2- rest your pinky and ring fingers on top of the front brake lever. not sure why this works for me, probably by loosening the grip and seems to allow better bloodflow into the hand

$.02