Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

In his defense, he really didn't flaunt the fact he was a cop. The ticketing officer asked them if they had anything he should know about, and being a police officer means that you are more than likely concealed carrying. Anytime you are stopped by police you have to by law declare to the cop that you are carrying a lawful firearm, and that's basically what they did. Now, if this were any civilian with a CCW, the cop would have disarmed that person immediately, stored the firearm in his cruiser, and completed the stop. That didn't happen here due to the fact that they were cops, and that's why they declared that right off the bat. I'm totally fine with this.

And that is as far as the special treatment should have went given the circumstances.

In smashweights defense you really cant hear or read. Maybe you just cant comprehend the things you have read. The officer that pulled them over asked "Do you have anything on you I should know about" and goofball responds "A couple of badges" <-That is flaunting being a cop

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be true of a citizen with a CCW. I didn't know that counted for cops too, their right to carry (even off-duty) is governed by a different set of laws.

Well, I've had a couple contacts with the police and they haven't taken my gun when I notifed. Granted, none of those were enforcement contacts against myself, but still. It's up to the individual officer's judgement based upon the totality of circumstances, I guess.

As I do not have my CCW myself, I went off what my friend told me that went through the class and has it. Point well taken.

Whats the saying? Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutley. I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but the power goes to some cops heads. Just is the same for congress or even for the wal-mart guy that thinks he knows it all. It is the nature of the beast but until we get rid of the "human element" this will ALWAYS happen.

Hrmm... they didn't clock the second rider so he didn't get a ticket? Huh' date=' where was that rule when I got nipped in Kent for speeding? The officer asked me how fast I was going and I returned the question. He said he didn't clock me or pace me so he didn't know. I told him I was doing 35mph. :p He didn't believe me.. and why would he, but still doesn't prove I was speeding. Why the double standard?[/quote']

Then I would of asked him why he pulled you over. There is a problem pulling someone over when there is a lack of probable cause. You just can't shit a giggle a traffic stop. People still have Civil Rights. It's called being "Badge Heavy". I was at one time, now I'm just "Human Heavy" and no, I'm not fat, you jack ass!!!!!!

Then I would of asked him why he pulled you over. There is a problem pulling someone over when there is a lack of probable cause. You just can't shit a giggle a traffic stop. People still have Civil Rights. It's called being "Badge Heavy". I was at one time, now I'm just "Human Heavy" and no, I'm not fat, you jack ass!!!!!!

In the UK the police can pull you over for a "Documents Check", no need for you to have done something. The UK police style tends towards the understanding that everyone makes mistakes on the road, and if you go after the obvious traffic violations on a car that is otherwise uninteresting then you tend to only get that one violation. Unless if's an immediate safety issue then your impact on that stop is not all that great. A keen eye can spot a hinky car/driver even if it's not breaking any traffic laws. Same thing that the US police do, with the big difference of not having to wait for them to do something that justifies pulling them over.

I got a No-Insurance ticket in the UK many years ago, and the officer who pulled me over told me that I didn't get pulled over for doing something wrong - it was just the look on my face as we saw each other. Guilty conscience = Look-like-you-just-saw-a-ghost when the officer drives past.

That's something that us regular citizes sometimes struggle to understand. Why did the officer not pull over a person for an obvious violation? When two cars come past at night, one with it's high beams on and the other with one headlight out, why did the officer ignore the guy with the headliht out? Well, becuase a headlight out is an equipment violation that is easy to correct and doesn't necessarily indicate a bad car/driver. The highbeams, on the other had, are a good sign of an impaired driver, and on some cars can be an indication of a stolen car with it's column busted open. Who would you rather get off the road?

Edited by Scruit

In the UK you are guilty until you prove your innocence. :wtf:

Not at all. Innocent until proven guilty, absolutely.

Comparing US law to UK law is just like comparing American English to British English - obvious differences, but still the same basic language.

I got a No-Insurance ticket in the UK many years ago, and the officer who pulled me over told me that I didn't get pulled over for doing something wrong - it was just the look on my face as we saw each other. Guilty conscience = Look-like-you-just-saw-a-ghost when the officer drives past.

I got a driving under suspension, and no insurance tickets from this very thing. I asked him why he pulled me over, he said "Cause you looked like a scared deer when you looked over at me." That was 12 or so years ago, and I STILL try to avoid eye contact with LEO's, even when I have nothing to worry about which ismost of the time, these days, other than occasionally speeding. He said that he ran my plates after seeing me, came up suspended license (had work priveledges, but was going the wrong way to get there) so he stopped me, and went through hell for a long time getting rides to work, etc...

Hrmm... they didn't clock the second rider so he didn't get a ticket? Huh' date=' where was that rule when I got nipped in Kent for speeding? The officer asked me how fast I was going and I returned the question. He said he didn't clock me or pace me so he didn't know. I told him I was doing 35mph. :p He didn't believe me.. and why would he, but still doesn't prove I was speeding. Why the double standard?[/quote']

last time i got pulled over the cop gave me the ol "you know how fast you were going?" thing.

all i said was "yes."

he asked "how fast?"

i told him i was not gonna answer that question, suffice to say that i DO know how fast i was going.

ended up getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

So tomorow is court?

If people go, remember, represent OR, the riding community and yourselves well by being respectful of the court. If you make it into the court, NO HATS, no cell phone ringers, no talking while in session, be presentable, keep comments to yourselves, don't react to the ruling inside the courtroom, and use common sense.

Nothing quite like God on Earth as a judge in his court room.

WOW, I am quite surprised by some of the holier then thou attitudes I have read on here. (yes all 25 pages were read). I don't give two shits what the guy does for a living. If you work at McfukinDonalds and ride a bike you are my brother or sister. This "fuck him cause I got a ticket and suspension so he should too!" Is just plain ignorant.

Yes he is a LEO. Wow. I guess he can't make bad judgments. Alot of the people pissing and moaning on here have some pretty fast bikes, have you never got a handful and grabbed gears quickly only to look down and be surprised at how quickly you hit triple digits? I have. Cut the guys some slack, We all take chances and we all know that there are consequences for them. Will it be different..probably. Is it wrong? NEH. You burger flippers steal a fry or mcnuggett and it might just be a verbal reprimand. But let an outsider walk back there and take some free food and thats stealing...right? C'mon. Instead of throwing stones that make us all look bad, be there to support him!!!

WOW, I am quite surprised by some of the holier then thou attitudes I have read on here. (yes all 25 pages were read). I don't give two shits what the guy does for a living. If you work at McfukinDonalds and ride a bike you are my brother or sister. This "fuck him cause I got a ticket and suspension so he should too!" Is just plain ignorant.

Yes he is a LEO. Wow. I guess he can't make bad judgments. Alot of the people pissing and moaning on here have some pretty fast bikes, have you never got a handful and grabbed gears quickly only to look down and be surprised at how quickly you hit triple digits? I have. Cut the guys some slack, We all take chances and we all know that there are consequences for them. Will it be different..probably. Is it wrong? NEH. You burger flippers steal a fry or mcnuggett and it might just be a verbal reprimand. But let an outsider walk back there and take some free food and thats stealing...right? C'mon. Instead of throwing stones that make us all look bad, be there to support him!!!

I'm not mad at what he did. I understand what he did perfectly well. On a bike, we are most likely 2 of a kind. Its the expectation of no consequences when caught and the laughing and joking from the LEO that pulled him over and let him go till obviously someone higher up put pressure on them that gets me. I hope the guy gets off but I also hope the guy that pulled him over gets punished. LEO attitude needs to change. Till it does, nobody is gonna respect them. Thats obvious in all these responses. Their attitude has cost them the respect of even the most law abiding citizens.

I'm not mad at what he did. I understand what he did perfectly well. On a bike, we are most likely 2 of a kind. Its the expectation of no consequences when caught and the laughing and joking from the LEO that pulled him over and let him go till obviously someone higher up put pressure on them that gets me. I hope the guy gets off but I also hope the guy that pulled him over gets punished. LEO attitude needs to change. Till it does, nobody is gonna respect them. Thats obvious in all these responses. Their attitude has cost them the respect of even the most law abiding citizens.

I am just tired and reading all of the BS and it got to me. There is perks to every profession. Can we change it? Nope. Does it bother me, nope. I could have the same perks if I want to get shot at and take a pay cut.

"defendant motion to continue 07/23/2009 - Motion granted 07/23/2009"

Tha case has been continued. Trial date still says 7/24, but that's just because they haven't set a new date yet. There have been a couple of media requests, specifically WSYX/WTTE and The Advocate.

Edited by Scruit

You should change your quote from "resident smartass:D" to "resident I can't put together a well thought out argument:stupid:"

Do you want to cut the other cop some slack on the ticket or the whole "I slipped on ice and am too disabled to work" BWC fraud?

Do you want everyone to make signs saying 147 is ok? Yeah, supporting him might do more harm than good.

I am just tired and reading all of the BS and it got to me. There is perks to every profession. Can we change it? Nope. Does it bother me, nope. I could have the same perks if I want to get shot at and take a pay cut.

Here we go again.

Since you are clearly a fan of professional perks, let me put this question to you.

You and someone else who works for a bank are trying to buy the same house. You both have equal credit scores, equal job history, equal salary, the whole bit. The absolute only difference is he works for a bank and you don't. He gets approved for a 5% mortgage, and you get denied for "economic risk" based on the location of the house.

Does that seem fair to you? Legal, even? Add to the mix the fact that the loan officer that wrote the loan pledged a legal oath to uphold fair lending practices, and others have put people in jail for doing just what he did?

I trust a motorbike cop to know what's safe and what is not safe on the road - they spend enough time getting paid to drive at high speeds in traffic that if anyone can do it safely, they can...

But 147? No, no, no. Cop or no cop, that's inexcusably ludicrous.

Here we go again.

Since you are clearly a fan of professional perks, let me put this question to you.

You and someone else who works for a bank are trying to buy the same house. You both have equal credit scores, equal job history, equal salary, the whole bit. The absolute only difference is he works for a bank and you don't. He gets approved for a 5% mortgage, and you get denied for "economic risk" based on the location of the house.

Does that seem fair to you? Legal, even? Add to the mix the fact that the loan officer that wrote the loan pledged a legal oath to uphold fair lending practices, and others have put people in jail for doing just what he did?

I agree that if I was turned down it would not be fair. However I do that being employed by a bank can get you better interest rates and perks.

I am not trying to be a dick by any means, but I realized a long time ago that life isn't always fair.

You should change your quote from "resident smartass:D" to "resident I can't put together a well thought out argument:stupid:"

Do you want to cut the other cop some slack on the ticket or the whole "I slipped on ice and am too disabled to work" BWC fraud?

Do you want everyone to make signs saying 147 is ok? Yeah, supporting him might do more harm than good.

I think the cop that is milking Workman's comp should definitely be in trouble. The guy going 147 didn't hold that speed for 7 months.

:D

AS far as well thought out argument as you can tell a few posts on down that I was not thinking clearly and needed to shut up and get some sleep.

The good news is....the sun is out and it will be a beautiful day and even better night to ride!!

I agree that if I was turned down it would not be fair. However I do that being employed by a bank can get you better interest rates and perks.

I am not trying to be a dick by any means, but I realized a long time ago that life isn't always fair.

So the fact that the bank DIRECTLY BROKE THE LAW doesn't bother you enough to say anything other than "oh well"? I'm literally speechless.

Here is the response my state rep. evans got from OSHP when he inquired to their office:

Please find the response we received from a representative of the Highway Patrol in response to your inquiry. Please let me know if you any additional concerns.

“The facts surrounding this case are that the trooper was clocked in an

air speed zone traveling with another motorcycle on IS 70 at 147 MPH and

the friend he was traveling with, which was an off-duty Gahanna Police

officer, was traveling 149 MPH.

The trooper who cited both of the officers felt the appropriate charge

was speeding. The elements of street racing were not warranted in this

situation because they were traveling at a steady speed and not

accelerating rapidly at the time of the clock.

As for the reckless operation charge it is up to the issuing officer

what charge he feels is appropriate and can be proven in court. OSP does

not have the legal authority to make any officer issue a charge or a

certain degree of a charge. The discretion is upon the issuing officer.

There is a current investigation into the fact that the issuing officer

turned off his video audio recording off near the end of the contact.

Any pending investigation into the Trooper Highsmith will have to come

after his due process in court.”

Thanks,

Carrie Caveda-

Legislative Aide to

Representative Clyde Evans

87th House District

77 South High Street, 10th Floor

Columbus, Ohio 43215

Office: (614) 466-1366

Fax: (614) 719-6987

Court date has been moved to 8/10 at 2:30pm. I am still going to make it up there... again, like to see how he might try pull this off without a suspended license. Anybody else from the Chillicothe area want to ride up?