Bike Idles High: Stays In Rpms

NightRider

Some of you might have caught the bike thread i made. About the 82 Honda Magna v45. I knew it needed some work when i bought it...and now trying to diagnose...and fix the issues. Bike starts up and runs ok. Once you give it gas, rev it....it wants to hang in the rpm range for a while. It takes some time for it to go back down. Hopefully it's something small, such as the carbs need synched.

Would anyone here...be willing to check it out and synchronize the carbs? I don't have the tools, so if you do...and know what needs to be done, and your interested. I would be more than willing to compensate you for your time.

I'm in Lancaster, so...hopefully looking for someone close. Columbus/Obetz area.

Thanks.

Shawn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your coming to help right? :D

Lol, you're much better with someone that ACTUALLY knows what they're doing :)

But to Justin's point, start with the cheapest thing and work your way up.

Just try to do things that are dependent together, ie, if you're going to mess with the carb, check the petcock too.

If you're going to check the sprockets drain the oil too.

You know?

wait what does sprockets and oil have to do with each other? unless there's somethin different with sportbikes and older cruisers... :dunno:

Sorry, I could be using the wrong terminology here.... but....

good amount of cruisers have sump(?) engines, the oil sits in the bottom of the engine and crank case.

So if you try to take off the covers to get at the primary drive without draining the oil.... well you get it.

Someone please correct me, cuz I'd love to look at my sprockets.

For sportsbikes i can tell you that the front sprocket is just under a cover to keep some dirt (and your foot) out of it. Follow your chain and it'll take you there, usually just under a cover held on by a few screws. I can't imagine cruisers, old or not, are any different. if your sprocket was in a closed oil system, your chain would be slinging all that oil out. i think you are confusing sprockets and transmission gears. hopefully youll never have to see the latter.

Lol, you're much better with someone that ACTUALLY knows what they're doing :)

But to Justin's point, start with the cheapest thing and work your way up.

Just try to do things that are dependent together, ie, if you're going to mess with the carb, check the petcock too.

If you're going to check the sprockets drain the oil too.

You know?

Yeah i get what your saying.

wait what does sprockets and oil have to do with each other? unless there's somethin different with sportbikes and older cruisers... :dunno:

Not sure. But...i'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt lol.

Sprocket Likwid. And i don't have a sprocket. The bike is Shaft.

Motorcycle-Parts-Motorcycle-Sprocket-.jpg

For sportsbikes i can tell you that the front sprocket is just under a cover to keep some dirt (and your foot) out of it. Follow your chain and it'll take you there, usually just under a cover held on by a few screws. I can't imagine cruisers, old or not, are any different. if your sprocket was in a closed oil system, your chain would be slinging all that oil out. i think you are confusing sprockets and transmission gears. hopefully youll never have to see the latter.

Ohh cool, that's good to know! and I see what you're saying, there'd be oil everywhere!

I have 2 pieces to my front cover, I'm imagining if I take the back piece off I'd be at the front sprocket.... I'll look more stuff up online.

Really appreciate you correcting me, I'm due to clean and lube the chain again soon, this may make it easier, plus will let me get in the case and see how bad the chain is hitting (Vulcan's are notorious for chain hitting the case)

And Night, you upset me, I want to ditch the chain :(

Some of you might have caught the bike thread i made. About the 82 Honda Magna v45. I knew it needed some work when i bought it...and now trying to diagnose...and fix the issues. Bike starts up and runs ok. Once you give it gas, rev it....it wants to hang in the rpm range for a while. It takes some time for it to go back down. Hopefully it's something small, such as the carbs need synched.

Would anyone here...be willing to check it out and synchronize the carbs? I don't have the tools, so if you do...and know what needs to be done, and your interested. I would be more than willing to compensate you for your time.

I'm in Lancaster, so...hopefully looking for someone close. Columbus/Obetz area.

Thanks.

Shawn

Sounds like the Pilot jets are bad and the bike is idling off the needle jet. Best thing to do is either get some Yamaha carb cleaner and soak them over night in this stuff or buy new ones and be done with it.

If the bike starts idles and when you rev the throttle hangs at about4k rpm I would guess its the pilot jets are fouled. Did this bike sit around for a while?

Sounds like the Pilot jets are bad and the bike is idling off the needle jet. Best thing to do is either get some Yamaha carb cleaner and soak them over night in this stuff or buy new ones and be done with it.

If the bike starts idles and when you rev the throttle hangs at about4k rpm I would guess its the pilot jets are fouled. Did this bike sit around for a while?

Not that i know of. That's what the bike does. Stays around 4k rpm. How do i go about fixing the issue? Cleaning them, buying new ones? Etc?

Best stuff I have ever used is the Yamaha carb cleaner. Just make sure that what ever you use don't hit the rubber parts. Its better to avoid hitting them rather than finding out that what ever chemical cleaner your using just swelled the rubber parts to 5 times normal size :rolleyes:

Just pull the carbs take them apart clean and put back. Easy

check this link out

http://users.rcn.com/kochc/moto/carb/carb.html

IMO if the pilots were clogged or bad, the bike would not be idling well, if at all. or it would only run with the choke on.

hanging idle is usually a sign of one of two things: valves out of spec or a lean condition.

it could just be the mixture screws need adjusted. a lean condition gets better as the bike warms up.

personally, id just pull the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning. make sure all passages are clear and that you can see light through them. dont neglect the pilot jets, which often times are down in a couterbore. make sure the floats are set to spec and adjust the fuel mixture screws for best throttle response. and then go from there.