Bike Idles High: Stays In Rpms

NightRider

Change the oil and ride it like you stole it for about 20 minutes. Then call me in the morning, why? Just cuz I like to hear your voice in the morning.

You gotta make that real deep manly "imgonnabutrapeyoulikeinprisonbubbastyle" ok..? :D

Thanks for the help...i think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you have a vaccume leak. While the bike is running spray some starter fluid around the boots where the carbs mount to the engine.

If there is a leak you will hear a change in the idle.

IMO if the pilots were clogged or bad, the bike would not be idling well, if at all. or it would only run with the choke on.

This is because as the pilot goes bad people will adjust up the idle to get the bike to idle. What you have done is set the idle on the needle. Thats why the bike will idle but as you rev the bike the engine doesn't want to return to idle.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on the jet. If the bike is that old seafoam probably will not work. Its a good product but if you could see some of the crude I have pulled out of neglected bikes carbs you would understand.

This is because as the pilot goes bad people will adjust up the idle to get the bike to idle. What you have done is set the idle on the needle. Thats why the bike will idle but as you rev the bike the engine doesn't want to return to idle.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on the jet. If the bike is that old seafoam probably will not work. Its a good product but if you could see some of the crude I have pulled out of neglected bikes carbs you would understand.

:plus1: An example here...

picture.php?albumid=447&pictureid=5366&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=447&pictureid=5365&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=447&pictureid=5364&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=447&pictureid=5363&thumb=1

but it doesnt stay high, it comes back down after awhile

the point of my first and second post is that everyone is getting way too complicated before trying simple things. it would suck if you get your carbs taken out and rebuilt and it still doesn't work or you pay $200 to fix something instead of $10....

Agree, check seals, tighten anything you can in the airflow path, lube cables, at least check plugs to see if they are fouled rich or lean. then call around to find out how much to take your entire carb assembly some place and have them break it down, clean them, put them together and sync

Hopefully I'm not jinxing you here-

My first bike was an 82 V45 Magna (VF750C), that I bought in like 2003. Ran fine for a few months, and then it started this thing where it would gain revs alright but take forever to drop back down. After a bit longer it started seeming like it had no horsepower, ie I had to wrench it to get moving much at all, and it would top out at like 45 mph. And the engine started sounding funny- kind of a dry, raspy sound instead of its normal "angry bees" noise.

After trying everything else, a friend suggested it was the head gasket. Took it apart and that's what it was-- a little gap in the head gasket in the rear cylinder bank. It was across one of the internal parts, so we couldn't see it or any leaks.

I'm seriously hoping your v45 isn't doing what mine did- that gasket's a nightmare to get to. But you might want to check your oil for coolant and other such easy tests, just to be sure.

Good luck.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing you here-

My first bike was an 82 V45 Magna (VF750C), that I bought in like 2003. Ran fine for a few months, and then it started this thing where it would gain revs alright but take forever to drop back down. After a bit longer it started seeming like it had no horsepower, ie I had to wrench it to get moving much at all, and it would top out at like 45 mph. And the engine started sounding funny- kind of a dry, raspy sound instead of its normal "angry bees" noise.

After trying everything else, a friend suggested it was the head gasket. Took it apart and that's what it was-- a little gap in the head gasket in the rear cylinder bank. It was across one of the internal parts, so we couldn't see it or any leaks.

I'm seriously hoping your v45 isn't doing what mine did- that gasket's a nightmare to get to. But you might want to check your oil for coolant and other such easy tests, just to be sure.

Good luck.

Thanks for the post. Does anyone know....where...a place would work on an 82?

I'm digging this thread back up, sorry.

Have you found the problem yet? Or got any local help? You did say you were all the way out in Laaaaancaster, right?

I got what i paid for. 600$. I got tired of the issues, and sold it for what i paid for it. No harm, no foul. I'll have a new one next month. Save up a little more money. :D

Yeah. lol. It was just getting to me...that i couldn't do anything with it. At least at the time. It saves us both the trouble now Dustin. :D

Very true, I always welcome carb rebuilds for future reference though. I enjoy that more than anything.