Is fuel injection that big of a deal?

OhioMarine

you guys are really hatin on carbed bikes. mine fires up just fine never dies and will give any modern FI bike a run for its money. Anyone I've ever ridden with will tell you the same thing.

No one here ever said it didn't. What we are saying is yours is the exception, not the rule. Also power production has nothing to do with whether or not a bike is FI or carbed, FI is just more rider friendly

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys are really hatin on carbed bikes. mine fires up just fine never dies and will give any modern FI bike a run for its money. Anyone I've ever ridden with will tell you the same thing.

Mine's the same way, choke, start, put on gloves, push choke, go... that's it... now granted early morning she surges a bit so I ride the choke out of the neighborhood... still not horrible! But yes, FI would be easier.

FI, Start up and go

Carb, Start up and g...stall. Start up and G...Stall. Start up and play with choke, stall. Replay with choke and Idle. Re adjust idle choke and restart. Go. Hopefully it's warm enough not to.

:lol: the truth!

:plus1:

Girls opinions don't count :p

No one here ever said it didn't. What we are saying is yours is the exception, not the rule. Also power production has nothing to do with whether or not a bike is FI or carbed, FI is just more rider friendly

Understood and agreed FI is more rider friendly. The OP original question was if it was a deal breaker. The answer is no. I like both equally. Both are just as easy to work on IMAO. And in the case of my bike. Just as dependable too.

Mine's the same way, choke, start, put on gloves, push choke, go... that's it... now granted early morning she surges a bit so I ride the choke out of the neighborhood... still not horrible! But yes, FI would be easier.

I had to wait at least 5 minutes or so until the engine warmed up to the point where I could get a decent power curve. Mine was the exception due to the mods on it, but I gotta think that others have had that problem.

With FI it's hop on, start bike, wait 10 seconds or so for things to equalize, then you may start doing extremely stupid things with the throttle.

So the thing here is, even though the '99 has the mods. The stock FI '01 should be the one I aim for?

Yep. Start hitting 600rr.net for some good parts deals, it won't take you long to find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. Slap a PCIII on that puppy and you've just laid all the groundwork for tuning.

So the thing here is, even though the '99 has the mods. The stock FI '01 should be the one I aim for?

yes....and if you don't get the 01 point me in its direction so I can take a look at it :D

The main thing to keep in mind is taking care of your equipment here's my $.02

If you like having infinite flexibility in tuning - carbed bikes have their challenges and rewards. Also you'll want to drain the carbs every time you store it for the winter. If there's something wrong with a carbed bike it can be simpler to fix.

Fuel injection can be easier / simpler to tune by plugging in a piggy back unit such as Cobra FI2000, Power commander, dynatech, etc. and downloading maps, done, dyno tune to fine tune it. Newer models have diagnostics that help fix, like cars there can be some guesswork as some codes may have multiple reasons for being thrown.

My personal choice for climates that have vast temp changes from season to season is fuel injection. There's nothing worse than wanting to go for a ride but having to let the engine rev for 5 minutes first. Of course, I'm one of those special people that took a New Year's ride in 13° Ohio weather, and have always ridden my bike year around.

My personal choice for climates that have vast temp changes from season to season is fuel injection. There's nothing worse than wanting to go for a ride but having to let the engine rev for 5 minutes first. Of course, I'm one of those special people that took a New Year's ride in 13° Ohio weather, and have always ridden my bike year around.

This bike will only be riden by me in ohio for no more than two weeks. Then I'm taking it to San Diego, California. Riding season is all year!!

This bike will only be riden by me in ohio for no more than two weeks. Then I'm taking it to San Diego, California. Riding season is all year!!

Have I mentioned I hate you?

:p Nah but seriously though I'd kill myself if I didn't have snow to ski in.