Is fuel injection that big of a deal?

OhioMarine

Have I mentioned I hate you?

:p Nah but seriously though I'd kill myself if I didn't have snow to ski in.

yeah. I used to snowboard every season, I hear there are a few mountains down there.. not sure if i'll be anywhere close, or interested.. Thats make one K2 board and boots for sale. haha

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despit much speculation.. I think its going to be the carbed '99. I was able to talk my way into a good price. And the bike looks and runs amazing. If all goes well, i'd assume you'll know..

dibs on the info on the 01!! :D

you guys are really hatin on carbed bikes. mine fires up just fine never dies and will give any modern FI bike a run for its money. Anyone I've ever ridden with will tell you the same thing.

Except an R6, 600RR, ZX6R, GSXR600... Maybe the YZR600, but nothing more than that... Not being a dick, but to say that your bike will give a modern day 600FI bike a run for it's money is pretty arrogant and false...

We raced the 98-01 ZX6Rs and while we had to run them in SB form to compete with the R6s and GSXR600s, they would not be good choices for pinks against anything newer...

My opinion? Buy a Carbed R6... Better choice and depending on what the price they are asking for the CBRs, the R6 is a better choice. Unless you like the couch feel/sport touring feel and you can stick with the CBR.

It's more feel to what you prefer, but I'd look harder at some other brands before I went F4 anything...

Except an R6, 600RR, ZX6R, GSXR600... Maybe the YZR600, but nothing more than that... Not being a dick, but to say that your bike will give a modern day 600FI bike a run for it's money is pretty arrogant and false...

We raced the 98-01 ZX6Rs and while we had to run them in SB form to compete with the R6s and GSXR600s, they would not be good choices for pinks against anything newer...

I didn't say it'd win...The numbers are still comparable though...99.3Hp and 45.6 ft/lbs

You've read between the lines with my statement. I was just trying to say that a carbed bike is not a pos should still be considered when making a purchase. I apologize for my arrogance.

Power delivery with modern FI bikes is a lot stonger and more consistant throughout the entire range now. I've rode with a guy on an 08 cbr600 and in 4th gear roll ons I couldn't keep up, but from a 1st gear start i stayed close.

Damn, you guys have some sh*tty experiences with carburetors lol.

I don't even have to use the choke on mine in the mornings.

me neither. only when its really cold. like below 40.

This bike will only be riden by me in ohio for no more than two weeks. Then I'm taking it to San Diego, California. Riding season is all year!!

mmm, guessing this will be your first time living in Diego?

Carb won't be so bad in Diego since the temps are almost always 65° - 75°.

Think the nearest ski area is about hundred miles from Diego.. That's great though, drive 2 hours to the snow, ski all day (in full sun and powder), drive back to the 70° base... It's a good life here in CA!

Skiing near Diego:

Snow Valley, Trinity Mt. Resort, Sno Summit Mt. Resort, Bear Mountain, Mt. Baldy, Mt. High, Mt. Waterman... Waterman is the furthers out at about 120 miles.

my carb'd bike (an ex500) runs ok. day to day performance is mostly the same, but there are times in which i can feel a difference.

throttle response is ok, but not like an FI bike, thats for sure.

My opinion isn't the greatest, as ive only ridden my 500cc bike w/ carbs, and 600cc FI bikes. so im comparing apples to oranges. I know however, that i HATE when my buddies fire up there bikes, and the first twist is like every other one. my first twist 'o the throttle when not warmed up..is flat. so i have limited my next bike to FI. my 2 cents.

I didn't say it'd win...The numbers are still comparable though...99.3Hp and 45.6 ft/lbs

You've read between the lines with my statement. I was just trying to say that a carbed bike is not a pos should still be considered when making a purchase. I apologize for my arrogance.

Power delivery with modern FI bikes is a lot stonger and more consistant throughout the entire range now. I've rode with a guy on an 08 cbr600 and in 4th gear roll ons I couldn't keep up, but from a 1st gear start i stayed close.

Uh, if an 06 R6, for example was as low as 99.3 hp to the rear wheel, I'd say it is in poor shape and needing fixed. 110 is more accurate...

The dyno doesn't lie. Standing stop to a start can be down to rider input so much that comparing them isn't fair.

Carbed bikes are by no means POS. Not at all. I was just saying that your comments are somewhat stretching it. Again, I have had some VERY intimate time with the model you ride and we had some killer bikes for sure. But again, they had to be built in SB form to get the job done... They were strong in the motor department and certainly above what I think an F4 is, but I wouldn't by any means dare to put it up against a newer version as seen today...

Uh, if an 06 R6, for example was as low as 99.3 hp to the rear wheel, I'd say it is in poor shape and needing fixed. 110 is more accurate...

The dyno doesn't lie. Standing stop to a start can be down to rider input so much that comparing them isn't fair.

Carbed bikes are by no means POS. Not at all. I was just saying that your comments are somewhat stretching it. Again, I have had some VERY intimate time with the model you ride and we had some killer bikes for sure. But again, they had to be built in SB form to get the job done... They were strong in the motor department and certainly above what I think an F4 is, but I wouldn't by any means dare to put it up against a newer version as seen today...

I'm basing numbers off the dyno day at Brians back in the spring...My bike

2006 R6

2003 R6

2001 F4i

2006 600RR

2005 636

I'm not real sure why we're debating this. The only point, whether it was stretched or not, was exactly what you said..."Carbed bikes are by no means POS. Not at all"

I'm a firm believer that dyno sheets are shit! Dynos are performed in staged, idea, barely changing environments. That just ain't the way the real world streets work. Believe me, if you bike is laying down 100bhp on the dyno sheet in a climate controlled low to no humidity environment, you will not be putting that hp onto the OH streets when you roll out from the dyno.

I'm a firm believer that dyno sheets are shit! Dynos are performed in staged, idea, barely changing environments. That just ain't the way the real world streets work. Believe me, if you bike is laying down 100bhp on the dyno sheet in a climate controlled low to no humidity environment, you will not be putting that hp onto the OH streets when you roll out from the dyno.

You're just jealous because you ride a Harley that has twice the displacement, but only half the HP...:D Harley, the most efficient way of turning gasoline into noise. OK enough harassing, I don't mind Harleys...really.

Some dyno's just happen to be done outside in a parking lot in a changing environment on a mobile dyno and not a climate controlled room.

And finally as I've said 13 times the point of my argument is not HP or top speed or any of that. The point was that a carbed bike is worth considering when buying a bike...FI is not the end all choice.

You're just jealous because you ride a Harley that has twice the displacement, but only half the HP...:D Harley, the most efficient way of turning gasoline into noise. OK enough harassing, I don't mind Harleys...really.

Some dyno's just happen to be done outside in a parking lot in a changing environment on a mobile dyno and not a climate controlled room.

And finally as I've said 13 times the point of my argument is not HP or top speed or any of that. The point was that a carbed bike is worth considering when buying a bike...FI is not the end all choice.

If it makes you feel any better my man, I went with the carbs. Beautiful thing. I only give it about an 1/8 throttle when shes cold. Nothin after that..

If it makes you feel any better my man, I went with the carbs. Beautiful thing. I only give it about an 1/8 throttle when shes cold. Nothin after that..

:lol: I don't feel bad! I'm glad you took the carbs and are happy. Don't forget to drain the bowls and put stabil in that puppy before winterizing and she'll always start like that.

:lol: I don't feel bad! I'm glad you took the carbs and are happy. Don't forget to drain the bowls and put stabil in that puppy before winterizing and she'll always start like that.

No ohio winters for a while. But thank you, Ill remember that!!

I am no mechanical guru, but I can offer a little insight. Carb bikes are usually set up for a particular range of conditions. For example, altitude and air density. Both of my bikes are carb bikes, and there are nice cool dry days when they are balls to the wall....others when they feel like they wont get out of their own way. FI bikes can adjust to all of these conditions on their own with the sensors installed on the bike. Prime example was my ride to the top of Santeelah in Tennessee following my buddy on a FI Road King. Above 3000 feet, he was walking the dog on me, almost like it was struggling to breathe, but the FI adjusted and kept going. I made it, but was well behind. My next bike will be FI, if my wife lets me