Another accident where "the motorcycle struck the car"

progrmr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's scary. The rider is thrown into the car and it flips and he is in fair condition? Wow... Someone is watching over him. Hope the driver is okay. Dumb mistake....

i can't find the force required to flip a car, and the variables about suspension, where the force would be applied...

it would be a fairly easy equation if you had all the information though...at least to estimate the velocity of the bike at impact.

it has to be triple digits though...

I just have to say that the difference between one year of driving experience and three years of driving experience in general would make the difference. Granted, probably a new rider doing something stupid but lets hope a more experienced driver would have possibly paid more attention...all of this shit is based on, well nothing but my own thoughts from the info we have.

I bet the rider is thinking, "holy shit I flipped a f***ing car, and walked away for the most part"...honestly that is one for the record books.

Just a thought...maybe, just maybe the driver turned to hard to avoid the bike and with the impact of the crash flipped the car? Even if the bike was going fast enough and the car took a direct hit i dont think the Bike would have enough force to do that without help. I think we all know what happens when a bike hits a car...i goes through it or into it, regardless of speed.

I'm just grateful the rider isn't seriously injured or worse and same goes for the driver.

yup, looks like an area you might "pop the cork" a little

maybe, just maybe the driver turned to hard to avoid the bike and with the impact of the crash flipped the car?

unlikely...they would have had to turn "towards" the bike...not away...and I doubt they had time to react...period...

the driver most certainly should have paid more attention (based on current info) but the rider was definitely speeding (again based on current info)

Because I'm bored and haven't used my math skillz in quite some time... I'll give it a shot, but I"m sure I'm rusty and will miss variables.

1) Motorcycle (Assume R6)

Mass = 180 kg (wet)

CG = 850mm (+z), and 635mm (-x) - assuming CG is slightly below seat height and slightly forward of the midpoint of the wheelbase.

2) Sunfire

Mass = 1202 kg

CG-z; 1389mm total height - 145mm ground clearance * 43% + 145mm = 680mm (+z)

Assuming +z CG is approximately 43% above the ground clearance of the vehicle

CG-x; Because it's T-boned, CG is approximately 50% of the vehicle track, but we'll shift it slightly left to account for the weight of the driver (160lbs woman? would have a 6% effect on the weight of a 2650lbs vehicle... so lets only shift the weight 3.5% from the center to account for counterbalancing factors.) = 1709mm * 46.5% = 795mm in the +x direction.

0,0,0 is located at the point of impact.

The initial moment arm (rotational torque) is the delta on the z-axis = 200mm

Short of doing a full dynamics calc... the force required to begin a rotation of the vehicle off the ground should be somewhere around ((1202/2)*9.8, only have to get two wheels off the ground to begin rotation) 5890N, so assuming the collision happened over 0.25 seconds - because the car and bike will both absorb some impact, the motorcycle would've had to be traveling somewhere in the vicinity of (180*.2*x=5890*.25 which yields) 40.9 m/s of an equivalent velocity force to overcome half the weight of the car due to gravity. So, the biker would've had to be traveling greater than that... which converted to english is 91.5 mph.

Someone check my math (and assumptions). I guess I didn't need CG-x unless I was going to do a full dynamics calc. Ohh well, they're there w/ my assumptions if anyone wants to do it.

Edited by JRMMiii

I'm gonna' disagree.. they don't put stop signs at intersections were the cross traffic is doing speeds high enough to flip sedans. I'd like to see the intersection where this occurred. Another instance of a rider going way too fast inside city limits and possibly taking the life of somebody else.

Besides.. you can't call out the 17 year old driver for not paying attention when the rider was only 20.

We have stop signs in this area where the intersecting traffic speed limit is 65.

After my wifes accident I am more proactive about making sure that intersecting traffic is completely clear. Even if that means waiting a little longer. My wife didn't see the car that hit her and she is a very safe driver.

That said, I'm not placing blame on the cager in this incident. If she was assuming his speed was the posted speed limit, she very easily could have made a move in the bikes path safely...............all other factors assumed.;)

I don't see how someone can have the balls/stupidity to keep their bike hauling ass though an intersection. That is insane. If you're busting ass, hit brakes and go through the intersection at a normal pace of speed, not hauling ass. You can keep those odds, because I won't gamble.

Edited by NinjaNick

That's completely ridiculous and definitely not safe. Another "+1" for government.

Agreed. 33 West of Wapakoneta goes 4 lanes and 65 mph. All roads that intersect with 33 have stop signs. Has been the cause of some pretty bad wrecks

Not sure about triple digits but it isn't out of the realm of probability. He was surely exceeding the speed limit enough for me to let the driver off the hook. (pending further information' date=' of course)[/quote']

Comparative negligence again. She is over 50% at fault, regardless of the speed.

That said, it was a Yamaha cruiser. The only thing heavier and slower is a Harley.... :p

Comparative negligence again. She is over 50% at fault, regardless of the speed.

That said, it was a Yamaha cruiser. The only thing heavier and slower is a Harley.... :p

who said it was a cruiser? Like jrm I assumed it was a r6 or r1...

Until I see any different evidence I'm placing the fault on the rider. He was going way too fast for the conditions.

Truly, for him to flip a car, he had to have been rolling OUT. And for a 20-year-old MALE, I can totally envision that.

But are they going to blame her, since she had the stop sign, and he didn't? Technically, he had the right-of-way, yes..?

I don't see how someone can have the balls/stupidity to keep their bike hauling ass though an intersection. That is insane. If you're busting ass, hit brakes and go through the intersection at a normal pace of speed, not hauling ass.

Preach that gospel, Nick. I don't trust a muffukkah at intersections... not even when I'm in a cage, myself.... let alone when this chick is on 2.