RainCheck's new Ninja

Aerik

The story so far:

After he sat on Mr. Anderson's Ninja at BWR, my buddy Lloyd (Raincheck) decided he had to have one.

So, last night, we go up to Westerville to meet Kermit, a 2001 Ninja 250 in OHGODDAMNITMYEYES!!!! Kawasaki Green.

Kermit's owner was quite cool, and totally up-front with us about the bike: She had purchased Kermit from some asshole who thought he was Mr. Ubertuner, and who had consequently fuckered up just about everything he touched--

The carbs were all out of sorts. He'd apparently mixed Japanese-model spec parts with American-model parts. It looked like he'd installed a partial jet kit, which worked about as well as you'd imagine.

The bike wouldn't idle right-- when you sit at a stop, it tends to stall, and if you give it a little gas it would just rev right up to 5000 or 6000.

The tabs and bolts on the plastics are all messed up.

Apparently, the idiot had also put the wrong bolts into the fairing (sp) mounts on the tank. They were too long, so it actually punctured. Kermit's owner had taken the tank to be welded, but there remains a little pinhole leak on the right side.

That said, we decided we can fix this thing. Fuck it, man, let's do this.

So, I rode it back to my place (Lloyd's rockin the newbie permit and it was after dark). Given that I'm 6'2'' and used to my Shadow, I felt like a circus bear on a tricycle, but the bike performed fine the whole way back (despit the weird idling).

Thus began the intensive restoration of Kermit to his former (gawdawful green!) glory.

Between 9 PM and 6AM, we removed and inspected the carbs, swapped out the needles and jets (previous owner gave us a ton of extra parts) in all kinds of different combinations, checked out everything that could be checked out, and diddled the air-fuel mixture and idle settings eight ways to Sunday.

By about 6, we had it much more stable (it won't stall, but will idle straight up at idle). We've decided that the next step is to acquire some actual jet kits (so the parts all match). The fun will continue.

Here are some pics (all taken around 5am-- it didn't occur to me to document this till after a few drinks). I'll try to be more diligent during today's session.

I know, this isn't the most interesting thread, but fuggit-- it's interesting to me, so deal with it. :p

picture.php?albumid=630&pictureid=6584picture.php?albumid=630&pictureid=6583

And yes, we test-ran it after every adjustment. I bet my neighbors love me.

Comments, advice, abuse, etc are of course welcome. Any Ninja experts with sage wisdom to dispense, feel free.

Congrats to RainCheck on the new to him bike! We have a Ninja 250, and I love that little bike!

When I got mine, it had issues idling as well. Mine would stall occasionally, and at other times it would hang at a higher RPM than it should. After a few tankfuls of gas, and some adjustment of the pilot screws, all is well. I got a new set of tires since the originals are pretty horrid. I haven't messed with a thing, other than chain lube, and checking fluids, etc since. Also, 60+ MPG isn't too bad, either!

Cool cool, sounds like the similar problem we had won't be too hard to solve once we get the new (matching) jets and needles in today.

My buddy Mike (who met some people on here at the meet n greet) was able to get the main jets for like 6 bucks, good stuff. They should match the US-spec stock stuff we have.

Now we're just waiting for the team to assemble, and we'll be back at it.

And yeah, I think it'll be a great little bike for him (he's a short dude and still a new rider), although it terrified me on the ride back because I felt like I was gonna pull an endo every time I used the front brakes.

Cool cool, sounds like the similar problem we had won't be too hard to solve once we get the new (matching) jets and needles in today.

My buddy Mike (who met some people on here at the meet n greet) was able to get the main jets for like 6 bucks, good stuff. They should match the US-spec stock stuff we have.

Now we're just waiting for the team to assemble, and we'll be back at it.

And yeah, I think it'll be a great little bike for him (he's a short dude and still a new rider), although it terrified me on the ride back because I felt like I was gonna pull an endo every time I used the front brakes.

Wow! 6 bux! Can't beat that with a stick!

The brakes are AMAZING for what they are! Just look at how small the front rotor is, compared to the stopping power they have! I know they're in no ways near what you get on a newer supersport bike though. The brakes on our Ninja caught me off guard yesterday since I had been on the Interceptor all week, and took the Ninja for a ride. I think the fronts on the Ninja are better than the dual disc on the Honda! Maybe I just need to replace the pads (and rotors) on the Honda? The rotors are pretty worn....

Well, after putting in the new jets and adjusting the idle air/ fuel mixture and idle screw thingies for a bit, it's now idling smoothly and not hanging in the revs. It's still a little laggy when we crank the throttle, but it's a lot better than before. Hopefully we can take out the rest of that lag with some more fine-tuning on the mixture.

The next project is the pinholed gas tank. Apparently one of the previous owners tried to mount the plastics with screws that were too long. The result punctured the tank on both sides.

The lady we bought it from had it welded, but there remained a pinhole leak in the right side screw-hole.

So today, we cleaned it up and stuffed the hole with JB Weld, and ran a teflon-taped screw in to keep the threads usable. We'll give it a full 48 hours to cure, because the repair is in a spot with very little access to air, and then we'll find out if it still piddles gas on right turns.

Fun shit.

As always, comments/ advice/ abuse are always welcome. If anyone knows a trick for getting the rest of that throttle lag out, lemme know.

Well, after putting in the new jets and adjusting the idle air/ fuel mixture and idle screw thingies for a bit, it's now idling smoothly and not hanging in the revs. It's still a little laggy when we crank the throttle, but it's a lot better than before. Hopefully we can take out the rest of that lag with some more fine-tuning on the mixture.

The next project is the pinholed gas tank. Apparently one of the previous owners tried to mount the plastics with screws that were too long. The result punctured the tank on both sides.

The lady we bought it from had it welded, but there remained a pinhole leak in the right side screw-hole.

So today, we cleaned it up and stuffed the hole with JB Weld, and ran a teflon-taped screw in to keep the threads usable. We'll give it a full 48 hours to cure, because the repair is in a spot with very little access to air, and then we'll find out if it still piddles gas on right turns.

Fun shit.

As always, comments/ advice/ abuse are always welcome. If anyone knows a trick for getting the rest of that throttle lag out, lemme know.

How much did he end up paying for that Ninja?

So far, I think he's like $1406 deep in it (I could be wrong). Given the overall condition of the bike (minor, tedious repairs needed, nothing expensive), I think it'll end up being a pretty good deal for a first bike. Good tires (chicken strips and all) and brakes, strong battery, working electronic stuff. No clutch issues or anything, either.

The plastics are kinda fuckered up, but I don't count cosmetic crap as necessary repairs. And anyway, it's looking like we'll be able to fiberglass them before we paint the whole thing.

Fun shit.

I say run it for a while, maybe some seafoam in the tank would help clean it up a bit. Our Ninja 250 had some slight issues that just worked out with riding it!

Quite possibly. The lady he bought it from claimed she was too busy to ride it a whole hell of a lot, so it may just need its legs stretched a bit.

Even so, it hauled my tall ass just fine on the freeway, except I kept reaching for my bike's heel-toe shifter.

Yeah for 250's. My 250 idle's at 2000. Glad I could help Raincheck out in picking his first bike :).

Wow! 2000 at idle??!?! I think mine is about 1500 - 1800 at idle.

I guess at first thought that seemed awfully high, but on the 250 I guess it's not so bad. On the Interceptor 2000 would seems high (such as when the idle hangs like it does!)

Wow! 2000 at idle??!?! I think mine is about 1500 - 1800 at idle.

I guess at first thought that seemed awfully high, but on the 250 I guess it's not so bad. On the Interceptor 2000 would seems high (such as when the idle hangs like it does!)

Well when I first start it up the idle is at 1200 then after riding for a while it goes to 2000. I hot weather it goes about 3000rpm past normal when going 70mph it is at 8000 and in the heat it is at 11000. My tank also whistles from time to time. It is brand new and is this normal?

The RPM's being higher just because of heat, while moving does not sound right to me. 8k at 70 MPH sounds about right, but going to 11k when it's hot does not. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?

Yeah I don't know. I think I'm going to take it back to the dealer. They should fix this for free since I did nothing to it.

nothing to it my arse you rode the piss outta that thing saturday

lol. I sure did. What does the slipping clutch mean? It was running like that before the ride on sat. During the meet n greet day it was running 11000rpm at 70mph on highway in 6th.

Provided we get everything satisfactory by then, I'm betting he'll be bringing it out on Thursday. We'll see. I mean, it's ridable now (we rode it all over the apartment complex after we finished working on it), I just would like to get it to quit pissing gas everywhere.

Damn, Anderson, I bet your clutch is slipping-- This ninja was running right around 7500 on the freeway when I rode it home from Westerville Friday night, and I probably outweigh you by like 80-100 pounds.

Oh, and a couple more pics- Here's one showing the aftermath of our attempted petcock rebuild (no kits/ replacements easily available, and it was dribbling).

picture.php?albumid=630&pictureid=6662

And, the tank sitting on its side while the JB Weld cures. Yes, that's a piece of the broken front fairing we're using as a spacer to hold the screw in the right spot.

picture.php?albumid=630&pictureid=6664

And, Kermit himself, chillin in the nude:

picture.php?albumid=630&pictureid=6663

I'm discovering that these fix-em-up projects are a lot more fun when we're not having to spend money on parts. Total repair cost so far: $6 bucks for jets, about 20 cents worth of JB Weld, one ruined screwdriver (hacksawn to be able to reach the idle screws), about 6 packs of cigarettes, and roughly $25 worth of Strongbow and Killians.

Not bad, so far.

Edited by Aerik

haha love that you've already called it kermit

Previous owner named it, we agreed that it should remain Kermit.

Although, we're going to murder it the fuck out- flat black ftw! He wants to add green LED's under the plastics after it's painted though.