Car tires

dustinsn3485

I need some.

I'm out of the car loop and could really care less about anything car related. However in this reject state I need a car. So I now need tires since two of the one's I have now are starting to separate and they are all at the wear bar...

It's a Dodge Stratus Coupe SXT, so I don't care about performance too much. Mostly I want something that gonna get good mileage 60K and handle well in both rain and snow...

Start tossing out suggestions...And Pilot Powers are not the answer...

I have Good year assurance on my regal and had great results. Living in the snow belt and driving through it when I was working they are great. Before that I was always a Michelin MXV4 fan on all my Honda's. Both aren't cheap.

I'll prolly get flamed but fugit.

I've been running Kumos for a while. Prolly the last 4 sets on 4 cars.

Kumoh Ecstas, SXT and/or AXT.

They run around $100 each on tirerack.com. No complaints. Just put the ecstas on my 04 SI. They are the quietest low-pros I've ever had. And they were amazing in the snow. The Yokohamas I had on it before were shit compared to the kumohs. Going to put them on the 07 SI real soon. The 07 has 21k and the Michelins are literally bald. WTF? they are evenly bald too, no bad alignment wear. OEMs always suck I guess. Too soft.

Good hunting.

I have Good year assurance on my regal and had great results. Living in the snow belt and driving through it when I was working they are great. Before that I was always a Michelin MXV4 fan on all my Honda's. Both aren't cheap.

I like that Assurance Tripletred...

It's been a damn good tire. We have maybe 15K or more on them and no signs of wear. I've rotated them maybe 3 times. Just to use my impact since it doesn't get used on the bike and spends a lot of time in the drawer.:( In the winter with the traction control they have been great.

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

0LOD7ELvfoudvgxtZVdafYOAo1_500.jpg

Srsly though, just go to Pep Boys and get their midgrade tire... it's nothing fancy, but they last as long as the "brand name" stuff and the Futuras I put on my Cutlass handled alright. Whatta ya want, it's a Cutlass, not an autocross machine. Should be fine for the Stratus.

They are expensinve for sure, but I will not put anything else on my daily driver cars. Wet performance is great, snow is great, and ice traction is the best I've ever had. I have about 15k on the one's on my Intrepid, and very little treadwear, and the same on the pair that are on the wife's Malibu. The only "complaint" I have is that they not quite as quiet as some of the other tires I've had, but they're not what I would call noisy. The Michelin Hydroedge is a good tire also, and very comparable. They are both rated in the 70k - 90k range (can't rememeber for sure.)

I've had several tires on the Intrepid, and these are by far the best (and most expensive) I've had Yokohama, Dean (which is made by cooper, and a good, reasonably priced tire) and something else that I can't remember.

OOoo wow! Looks like we can get that new "fuelmax" tire that Goodyear has been running all the commercials about. Rated for 65k miles, about $110 in that size, compared to about $130 for the Tripletread, that is rated for 80k miles.

Srsly though, just go to Pep Boys and get their midgrade tire... it's nothing fancy, but they last as long as the "brand name" stuff and the Futuras I put on my Cutlass handled alright. Whatta ya want, it's a Cutlass, not an autocross machine. Should be fine for the Stratus.

Lame, I figured you of all people would know that not all tires are created equal, you can't trust the guys at the tire shop, and cheaping out isn't always the best. :p

tirerack.com is your friend Dustin. :)

I will try to remember to check out if the yokohamas I put on my sisters car come in that size and the price now. Its been 2 years since I got them and they were like $350 installed for 4 tires. I put 15k on them and she has put almost 20k on them and it barely looks like they have used up any tread and were also really good in the rain and surprisingly the snow as well

Lame, I figured you of all people would know that not all tires are created equal, you can't trust the guys at the tire shop, and cheaping out isn't always the best. :p

tirerack.com is your friend Dustin. :)

:rulez:

It's just a tire to commute... no bells, no whistles, just rubber/plastic mold that'll get said Dodge Stratus from point A to Point B without riding on the rims.

Are there better tires? Yes. But, for this application, it's not needed. You don't need top shelf Pirelli's to commute in a Dodge Stratus. You of all people I'd expect to know to rightsize the part for the application. :p

I'd bet the Pep Boys tires outlast the car...

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/tires/touring/

My Futuras were like $79/tire a few years back, under $400, mounted, balanced, old tires disposed... the works. 60k mileage warranty.

Edited by JRMMiii

:rulez:

It's just a tire to commute... no bells, no whistles, just rubber/plastic mold that'll get said Dodge Stratus from point A to Point B without riding on the rims.

Are there better tires? Yes. But, for this application, it's not needed. You don't need top shelf Pirelli's to commute in a Dodge Stratus. You of all people I'd expect to know to rightsize the part for the application. :p

I'd bet the Pep Boys tires outlast the car...

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/tires/touring/

My Futuras were like $79/tire a few years back, under $400, mounted, balanced, old tires disposed... the works. 60k mileage warranty.

I never said they had to be expensive. :rulez:

Choosing, even from basic commuter tires, based on research is the best way to go to meet exactly your needs for comfort, quietness, life, and performance expectations. I spent a full day researching tires for my parents minivan, and while it's just a minivan those tires work damn well which is exactly why I picked them. And I got them mounted all for under $400. :p

Here's what I'm thinking right now...

Kumho Solus KR21

How do you go about getting those puppies installed off of that website? They are $320 after shipping.

I looked at Tire Discounters and they will rape me at 114 per tire...That's 456+tax...So like $500. I used to work there and know one of the managers so I may get a bit of a deal, but still gonna be a crapton...

kumho are a lose. dustin just come see one day I can get you tires at a huge discount. We went on a ride and drive in bmw m3 and the one runnning bridgestone insignia se200 was impressive as hell.

How do you go about getting those puppies installed off of that website? They are $320 after shipping.

They can ship directly to you and you take the tires wherever you want or you can choose one of their recommended tire installers and they'll ship them to that business.

kumho are a lose. dustin just come see one day I can get you tires at a huge discount. We went on a ride and drive in bmw m3 and the one runnning bridgestone insignia se200 was impressive as hell.

Well I've heard lots of good and bad about kumho, but if they're guarenteed for 80K then whats to lose? They seem to have good ratings, and like the rest are saying it's a 4 cyl status...

And just a note...

Insignia SE200

Ratings on that tire suck...I know it's just numbers and real world is a whole diff. ballgame.. I've never liked Bridgestone though, never had good luck with them.

i dont run bridgestone i dont care for them just thought id let you know we autocrossed the holy shit out of some m3's running those tires and you could tell it was a passenger tire but it was very impressive for everyday driving. I run nokians on everything except my focus it has bfg's