anyone ever buy a bike with a bill of sale?

oldschoolsdime92

Heres what you would need to do. It sounds like your buddy at least had the title at one time and if he still has it just have him title it himself and then sell it to you like a normal transaction. There is a fee for transfering a title beyond a certain date after purchase. If in fact it is impossible to get a title, what you will need to do is gather as much info as possible as to how the vehicle belongs to you. You will need to provide all the info you can to the bmv and a judge will need to determine based on the info you provided if in fact he/she feels it is yours. This is a gamble of course because it could go either way. I ran into a similar situation but luckily the previous owner was cool enough to file for a lost title and deal directly with me. I have gone the other way a few times as well and luckily I have received titles everytime. But it has been years and the laws may have changed. Good luck

Hes got the georgia title. It was just pondering I had because,he never switched and did not want to pay the tax, on the original purchase price because its almost the same price as what I would be paying for the bike. But I have to sell the f3 first and this is just going to be my tinker in the garage during winter toy.

If you don't want a giant fuck around then he needs to transfer that title. Why go through all that bullshit for the monetary gain of someone else?

It's not YOUR fault he decided not to title it! I can understand the reasoning, since he apparently had no intentions of putting it on the street. Unfortunately, it sounds like that bike will likely end up being a track only bike for this reason.

eh its a long time buddy of mine I just thought I would help him recoop alittle money on the bike since Id be paying next to nothing for it anyways.

It would be nice if you could come up with some sort of compromize with hime to get this resolved! I hate to see a bike sitting, or getting parted out when it could be on the road!

eh its a long time buddy of mine I just thought I would help him recoop alittle money on the bike since Id be paying next to nothing for it anyways.

If it's that low of a price, I would toss in a few bux to get it on the road, but that's just me, and I don't know all the details. It does sound like it would be a good deal, even getting the title straightened out.

Have the bike tranferred into his name. Than have him sell the bike to you for $1 (per the title), and transfer it into your name. I actually did this with a bike with an out of state title.

Tpoppa here came up with a great solution. This saves your buddy some cash, you some cash on taxes and keeps the paperwork clean.

dime, what's the price? We can't steal the bike from you, don't worry! :D

is it a good enough deal that paying half the tax for your buddy would be worth it?

transferring a bike from out of state and registering it just cost me $309 for a bike that was $3250.

Contact the Georgia BMV and explain your situation. They'll tell you exactly what you need to do. I bought truck from a guy in Philly and the title had the wrong mileage on it. The truck was an amalgamation of all different parts. They told me what to do, I did it and I got my title. Go straight to the DMV, they'll tell you what to do.

do you know anyone who is a notary? I have had friends 'fudge' some stuff on titles for me. Well, not really 'fudge' it, just notarize the signature after the fact.

What does the title currently say for "purchase price?" I've never put more than $1,000.

the fee for transferring after 30 days is only something like $25. not much at all. the taxes will depend 100% on the listed purchase price.

my track bike isn't titled in my name. I HOLD the original Wisconsin title, but it's 3 or 4 owners removed from what the title says. In order to get it into my name, I'd have to trace back the chain of owners, and they'd ALL have to register the bike in their name, pay the taxes, and transfer it to teh next guy...

the fact is, whoever's name is currently on the title owns the bike. Your buddy doesn't. if the cops run the VIN, 'my' bike comes back to some dealership in WI... but it's not been reported stolen, and the dealership is long out of business.

even so, i can never register it for street use.

your alternative here is to buy the bike w/o a valid title, and then pick up a frame that DOES have a valid title, and switch everything over. the frame shouldn't set you back more than $400 or so. If that's less than the taxes, go for it.

oh - another thought is to talk to friends in other states. Ohio has pretty strict rules about titles, proof of ownership, etc. Other states don't.

some of the less strict states will just run the VIN, and if it's not stolen, hasn't been registered in X days, and you have the keys, they'll title it in your name - or rather, in your out-of-state friend's name. he can then sell it to you for $1, and all you pay is the VIN inspection fee, and you have to pay for an Ohio title.

but it requires a friend you trust, or they'll just keep the bike; and you have to do the research as to which state(s) are the most relaxed.

Have the bike tranferred into his name. Than have him sell the bike to you for $1 (per the title), and transfer it into your name. I actually did this with a bike with an out of state title.

It's not the taxes that he would be paying when buying the bike, it's the taxes that are his friend would be paying to get the title in his name, before he could LEAGLLY sell it. There ARE ways around it, depending on how much of the info has been filled out on the title. I do NOT condone any such behavior, as I've had relatives get into some serious trouble, it seems the state wants their tax money from EVERY transaction!

dime, what's the price? We can't steal the bike from you, don't worry! :D

is it a good enough deal that paying half the tax for your buddy would be worth it?

transferring a bike from out of state and registering it just cost me $309 for a bike that was $3250.

he purchased it for 3000, and used it only on the track. Its sat since 05, and he offered it to me for 600.

2000 dollars. brand new tires, not even installed yet.. new chain not too long ago, recently changed oil, newer brakes, painted in febuary.. No it doesnt have any street stuff. not even street tires. I am just going to use it as a beater to mess around with. heres my craigslist ad.http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1338895909.html

well i will say this, i bought my 03 gsx-r alstare feb 04 in Meat chicken (michigan) monroe, Rays powersports to be exact. not only did i have to pay the meat chicken taxes but when i tagged it in ohio in 05 i had to pay the OHIO taxes too. so be prepared for that.

p.s. i wouldnt tell my worst enemy to buy from rays powersports in monroe michigan. they dont care what then sell to you, their service record blows. when i went up there to resolve an issue i had there was a line at the counter of ppl who recently purchased new bikes and didnt get half of what was ordered or the wrong bike was shipped to them(phone orders).