Possibly AR-15 shopping

speedytriple

I personally have decided to try out a new piston Drivin AR

http://www.ruger.com/SR556/features.html

I would suggest staying away from the ruger for the time being.. there have been a few reviews by some die hard AR people and its not fairing very well. The ruger AR is brand new this year so they have some work to do.. Also there are a ton of other Piston AR's out there that are top notch..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and send that pic with your name and address to the ATF and find out what happens.. You play with fire and youre gonna get burnt...

Dont be a dipshit on this one. Its not worth going to jail just to have something that "looks cool"

Oh yeah and here is some reading material should you care to try and learn something

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,

Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

^^All Very true, I would say that if you ever plan on going to a range or leaving your home with it to take that off.

If you want a grip for your other hand I suggest the Never Quit Grip

thumbnail.php?file=news_grip_628581257.jpg&size=article_medium

Although not listed I work for a Dealer

https://www.neverquitgrip.com/Never_Quit_Grip.html

I would suggest staying away from the ruger for the time being.. there have been a few reviews by some die hard AR people and its not fairing very well. The ruger AR is brand new this year so they have some work to do.. Also there are a ton of other Piston AR's out there that are top notch..

There has been a few reviews that havnt faird well yes.... but the good thing is that I could TOURTURE this gun after i get and if it doesnt work well i know Ruger will make it all better for me :D

Go ahead and send that pic with your name and address to the ATF and find out what happens.. You play with fire and youre gonna get burnt...

Dont be a dipshit on this one. Its not worth going to jail just to have something that "looks cool"

Oh yeah and here is some reading material should you care to try and learn something

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,

Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where your assumptions about me knowing or not knowing the law comes from. I guess I should give you some reading material so you can learn something for yourself.

I am well aware of all regulations on two handles on a classified pistol. I live in the country and play as I please in the back 40. When the firearm is stored or taken to the range, it is removed. The boys in blue are welcome to stop by and I can show them. So though I appreciate your concern for me going to jail, don't worry yourself.

So please don't be a dipshit yourself, and assume you know me or my knowledge of firearms, which is extensive.

Not sure where your assumptions about me knowing or not knowing the law comes from. I guess I should give you some reading material so you can learn something for yourself.

I am well aware of all regulations on two handles on a classified pistol. I live in the country and play as I please in the back 40. When the firearm is stored or taken to the range, it is removed. The boys in blue are welcome to stop by and I can show them. So though I appreciate your concern for me going to jail, don't worry yourself.

So please don't be a dipshit yourself, and assume you know me or my knowledge of firearms, which is extensive.

You just proved that your being the dipshit by admitting that you do what you want since you live in the country. You also admitted that you have installed the VFG as well as posting pics of it installed. FYI. doing something illegal and then doing something not illegal does not cross out the fact that you installed a VFG illegally on a pistol.

Thats like someone saying they modified a firearm to shoot full auto and then fixed it so it doesnt do it anymore. ITS STILL ILLEGAL YOU DUMBASS...

If you like, I can save the pic you posted, track down all your information and then send it to the ATF myself since your being a monster cock about someone posting a law in an attempt to save your ass.

Feel free to do what you please.. May I suggest playing in traffic....

You just proved that your being the dipshit by admitting that you do what you want since you live in the country. You also admitted that you have installed the VFG as well as posting pics of it installed. FYI. doing something illegal and then doing something not illegal does not cross out the fact that you installed a VFG illegally on a pistol.

Thats like someone saying they modified a firearm to shoot full auto and then fixed it so it doesnt do it anymore. ITS STILL ILLEGAL YOU DUMBASS...

If you like, I can save the pic you posted, track down all your information and then send it to the ATF myself since your being a monster cock about someone posting a law in an attempt to save your ass.

you sound like a little rat bitch. snitches get stitches/ who gives a fuck. my 2 cents

you sound like a little rat bitch. snitches get stitches/ who gives a fuck. my 2 cents

Hey look that dude is back running his mouth.. first off, Im not reporting anything, just making a point. Second, I have zero sympathy for those that choose to do something illegal, then post their actions on the net, and then choose to get shitty with the people that attempt to provide information that will help them.

Seems to be some cranky people on here tonight. Oh well. After this week at work, blowing off some steam on here will be nice.

Edited by flounder

Bravo for your internet law degree, Barney. Please refer back, it wasn't the fact that you posted the regulations, but how. Feel free to save the picture, because you have just that, a picture on the internet. And FYI, I did play in traffic today. It was a BEAUTIFUL day to ride. And I may do the exact same thing tomorrow, all day long.

Hey look that dude is back running his mouth.. first off, Im not reporting anything, just making a point. Second, I have zero sympathy for those that choose to do something illegal, then post their actions on the net, and then choose to get shitty with the people that attempt to provide information that will help them.

Seems to be some cranky people on here tonight. Oh well. After this week at work, blowing off some steam on here will be nice.

never stopped for one. i think most would agree with me that your acting like a bitch.period. who gives a fuck what he does or anyone else.he wasnt getting shitty until you acted like a snitch or atf. that dude is not trying to be an asshole to you flounder, just expressing how that dude sees it, coming from a 3rd party.

It boils down to this, Im an asshole, everyone here knows it. While my post of the regulations may not have had bunnies and flowers next to it, it was meant to be helpful.

Second, you seem to under estimate how easy it is to track down people.

If, and this is a big if and highly unlikely that someone would want to track you down but its as simple as this for the law if they did.

1. Your profile shows you live in pataskala and have a 2008WR250X

If 1 wasnt enough since pataskala is small,

2. X-ref anyone with that bike to anyone with your model Bushmaster.

Just think about what you post thats all. Its not worth it to even have to try and defend yourself with the ATF because you will loose in more then 1 way.

Do the smart thing and pull the pic from your post, and I will edit mine so its gone as well.

It boils down to this, Im an asshole, everyone here knows it. While my post of the regulations may not have had bunnies and flowers next to it, it was meant to be helpful.

Second, you seem to under estimate how easy it is to track down people.

If, and this is a big if and highly unlikely that someone would want to track you down but its as simple as this for the law if they did.

1. Your profile shows you live in pataskala and have a 2008WR250X

If 1 wasnt enough since pataskala is small,

2. X-ref anyone with that bike to anyone with your model Bushmaster.

Just think about what you post thats all. Its not worth it to even have to try and defend yourself with the ATF because you will loose in more then 1 way.

Do the smart thing and pull the pic from your post, and I will edit mine so its gone as well.

asshole..nope.. jackass yes.. snitch..maybe

I personally have decided to try out a new piston Drivin AR

http://www.ruger.com/SR556/features.html

great gun, I have fired a couple hundred rounds with one on a couple different occasions. It's a little top heavy with all the rails, but other than that I think it's an excellent gun.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at the piston ones as well. here are a couple nice ones that are affordable and have good reviews.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1937288&cat=95&

CMMG is only $995!

However I personally am considering the Spike Tactical ST-15 w/ AA Piston Conversion

msrp $1495, currently on sale for $1099

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=323

i love ar talk...

make your own... there are kits out there. My gunsmith swears by this site and has built many of their kits.

http://www.sherluk.com/m16.php

i have a S&W M&P15. yes i did buy a brand name, but i love her.

MP15w-UTG.jpg

handle is gone for an EOtech and the front will soon be gone for a troy flip-up and rail gas block. grip will soon be a magpul and the stock will be a caa srs sniper stock. :)

I purchased the smith AR last week form Buckeye Outdoors. I thought about building one, but they had the #81001 on sale, plus the 5 free clips.. Took her out yesterday and she is a friggin blast to shoot!

Must be a custom ar cause last time I checked they use mags not clips LOL! dont mind me I had way to many beers today. Still on the hunt for the E.B.R. almost worked a deal out at the last gun show. Was looking at a r.r.a. like the two stage trigger on them. but could not unload the mini for what i needed to get the ar and what not. oh well next show maybe?

Any issues? Mines been perfect. I really like the flip up rear sight.

Which flip up rear sight did your come with. for awhile they were shipping them with the MI Low profile sight since the ARMS 40 was out of stock and on backorder. I have the MI low profile and my buddy has the ARMS 40. I havent had any problems with my MI and I like that I can leave it on and and a scope will still fit and clear the sight. Im pretty sure you cant do that with the ARMS as it has a thicker profile. The ARMS does seem built like a tank though and may be a bit more durable then the MI. Pro's and cons of each.

Didn't know that. It came with the ARMS 40. I won't fit with my current scope. How do you get the rail gaurds on. Slide them down or snap them on?

Edited by Gump