Opinion I saw in the Dayton News...

CBRzach

http://www.daytondailynews.com/lifestyle/world-class-motorcycle-racer-eh-276089.html

Valentino Rossi stood out in the crowd like a sunflower among lilies.

Flashes from digital cameras worked overtime, helping to capture the race car driver’s every blink.

In his yellow cap, Rossi grinned and autographed T-shirts and helmets before he and his teammates took the elevator up to their rooms in the posh Indianapolis hotel.

“That’s Valentino Rossi,” a man said. “He’s the best motorcycle racer in the world. He gets mobbed in his own country. This is the only place in the world where he can walk down the street.”

“Oh yeah,” I said, hiding my ignorance of Rossi while I waited for the barkeep to open my convenience store bought bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Until that weekend — Indianapolis Grand Prix weekend — I had never heard the name Valentino Rossi. It’s a curious fact as motorcycle fans at the hotel bar called Rossi the “Tiger Woods of motorcycle racing.”

The smily-faced Italian was one of the highest earning sports personalities in the world in 2008, receiving $34 million, according to “Sports Illustrated.”

Really?

Really.

Not that I wasn’t impressed with Rossi — he seemed like a very nice rich guy, I just wasn’t into it. Indianapolis Grand Prix might as well be “Indianapolis Grand Who Gives a Care.” Needless to say, I wasn’t in Indy for the race.

I had gone to Indy for a journalism conference.

If not for the Harleys and sports bikes lining the streets, as well as the foreign-born men trotting around with numbers on their shirts, I wouldn’t have known there was a race that weekend.

It is not that I am oblivious of my surroundings or the fact that motorcycle racing is not so big a deal in America. Oh no, the fact is that I proudly wear sports blinders.

Unless they are arrested for dog fighting, are one of the Williams sisters, or are dating Jessica Simpson, I could not care less about most athletes.

Those involved in motor sports particularly don’t have a shot at capturing my imagination unless they are riding a motorized unicorn or are dancing with the stars.

I couldn’t tell you the difference between Yao Ming and Steffi Graf, but I do know the difference between football playing brothers Eli and Peyton Manning. Peyton beaned a bunch of kids with a football in a Saturday Night Live sketch. Eli is his brother.

My disdain for all things sports is nothing new. It started with the Cleveland Browns. Sports can be particularly ruthless if you give them your heart and loyalty.

I thought about this watching the race fans drool over Valentino Rossi.

Then I thought it would be sort of cool to have something to cheer about.

eh who gives a fuck. most people in america could give 2 shits about motorcycle racing. shes just stating her opinion, one that most people could prolly relate to. thats why i only watch the bbc broadcasts of gp. theyre the only ones that know wtf is goin on

Clearly Amelia Robinson has the worlds pulse at her fingertips.

A discerning writer such as this deserves every bit as much respect as those she writes about. I was pleased to see that she did do some journalist work by referring to sports illustrated as a source. An admitted former Browns fan who feels that being a fan can be cruel as sports of any kind are ruthless if you care about them. She does seem to know her way around the sports world.

I have no idea what or who she writes about now but I think it only fair to say I for one really would like to see her riding a 1000cc Unicorn around town.

Being an admitted media mongering attention wanna be by limiting herself to writing articles about such important topics as [sic] "arrested for dog fighting, are one of the Williams sisters, or are dating Jessica Simpson, I could not care less about most athletes".

She does seem to be ready to move up in the world of journalism. I really do think that her riding a 1000cc Unicorn around town might get her a spot on either "Fernwood 2-Night" or "America 2-Night". Ah the big time at last TV!

But friends, there is hope. She does say that "it would be cool to have something to cheer about".

Pray tell, what does she do now?

-This parody brought to you by Strictly Street :)

Edited by Strictly Street

I knew where this was headed when I read this,

Flashes from digital cameras worked overtime, helping to capture the race car driver’s every blink

I atually share the same feelings about sports etc. I couldn't care less about any of it. I just don't see the fasination about football or basketball the most.

I grew up playing them for fun etc (not on a real team). but I just don't care for watching it and going to games etc.

racing on the other hand is something I like. but I never seen it as something like a football game etc.

Edited by serpentracer

I knew where this was headed when I read this,

Flashes from digital cameras worked overtime, helping to capture the race car driver’s every blink

Journalism at it's finest.

Yet the newspapers wonder at their dwindling readership....

i hate that she didnt at least give racing a chance. I gave football,baseball and all those other boring sports a chance,but they never seemed cool to me. Racing is a sport of man vs machine vs man and you cant blame the "team" for anything. Its one on one at its finest. Rossi is the man and i bet she is just pissed she couldnt touch him.

i hate that she didnt at least give racing a chance. I gave football,baseball and all those other boring sports a chance,but they never seemed cool to me. Racing is a sport of man vs machine vs man and you cant blame the "team" for anything. Its one on one at its finest. Rossi is the man and i bet she is just pissed she couldnt touch him.

:plus1: I was pissed off b/c she didn't even give it a chance. If you're not even going to give it a chance why would you waste your time even writting about it? Now with racing not being a team sport I don't agree with, when you're club racing and such yeah you're pretty dependant on yourself but once you are on the professional level you're team will make or break you.