My issue with LoJack

Likwid

Here's my issue with LoJack and the installation.

Can I watch the installation?

The LoJack product is successful in recovering stolen vehicles and motorcycles in part by the inability of the thief to detect which motorcycles may have LoJack installed. LoJack prefers not to allow people to watch the installation process, but also understands how much your motorcycle means to you. We cannot prevent you from watching the installation, but you should be aware that doing so may void your recovery warranty.

I understand that LoJack wants to keep install locations secret... but that's kind of retarded... is the thought that criminals are going to BUY a LoJack system, have it installed, watch how it's installed, then use that information to go steal someone's bike?

If someone KNOWS a bike has LoJack they are going to figure it out... just like a disc lock... someone determined enough will take care of any anti-theft device you throw out there...I'd rather install LoJack myself and have NOONE know where it is but me than a STRANGER install it and any LoJack install trained person know reasonably where it's installed.

"If you isntall it like a retard, then someone could just clip the wire and steal it!" Ok, why doesn't LoJack just have a battery and if the main power source is clipped battery switches on and pages LoJack that calls a customer to see if there is an issue? Seems like a better idea to me than relying ONLY on the battery... dead battery = LoJack doesn't work?

Maybe one of the LoJack installers can give me some insight into some things and why my rationale is misguided.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do all my own work on my bike/cars/trucks unless it requires tools that cost more than my car.

Nobody works on my car/bike/truck unless I am there to watch. I have been burned too many times by "professional" mechanics who don't give two hoots about the quality of the job they do.

Ok...here is the info you need. Lojack is installed by trained and certified personnel only, they all have to go through background checks that are very strict to be able to work with the product. Also, you are told not to tell anyone you have it, keep any papers with the bike that say you have lojcak and there is no markings on the unit to distinguish it from any other OEM part. Also the unit has a battery on it that is charged and used if the unit is ever disconnected from the bike. Think about it, if someone is dismantling your bike, all of the parts will still be in the same area that the rest of the bike is and the criminals.

Our rep just came in the other day to help install one of the new systems on a bike and i asked him what the recovery rate is in Ohio. Since the system came out the, every (100%) of the bikes stolen with lojack were recovered. Including a major bust in Lockbourne OH that recovered 24 or so bike along with tons of other stolen equipment, all because one bike had lojack.

More proof yet that the system works and is worth it is that our Chicago store has had somewhere around 160 bikes now that have been stolen (customer bikes). All of them have also been returned.

Also, if your biks is not found within 24-hours, you get the cost of the system back.

If there are any other questions let me know

So the disclaimer about watching the install just means that if your bike is not recoevered then you won't get your install cost back, right? Will Lojack still take all recovery measures for an 'observed' install that they will for a 'secret' install? They are worried that someone may find where it is if we know about it?

Ok...here is the info you need. Lojack is installed by trained and certified personnel only, they all have to go through background checks that are very strict to be able to work with the product. Also, you are told not to tell anyone you have it, keep any papers with the bike that say you have lojcak and there is no markings on the unit to distinguish it from any other OEM part. Also the unit has a battery on it that is charged and used if the unit is ever disconnected from the bike. Think about it, if someone is dismantling your bike, all of the parts will still be in the same area that the rest of the bike is and the criminals.

Our rep just came in the other day to help install one of the new systems on a bike and i asked him what the recovery rate is in Ohio. Since the system came out the, every (100%) of the bikes stolen with lojack were recovered. Including a major bust in Lockbourne OH that recovered 24 or so bike along with tons of other stolen equipment, all because one bike had lojack.

More proof yet that the system works and is worth it is that our Chicago store has had somewhere around 160 bikes now that have been stolen (customer bikes). All of them have also been returned.

Also, if your biks is not found within 24-hours, you get the cost of the system back.

If there are any other questions let me know

That's good info, and that helps me with a bit of the concern. But it doesn't matter WHO installed your LoJack if noone knows about it... right?

So the installation SHOULD be irrelevant. Also, I'd go insane if there was something on my bike that I knew was there but didn't know where :) OCD

The reason tho keep them a secret, is because that if someone knows it is on there, they can disconnect it. Then the whole concept is down the drain!!! The point is to not let them know that the police are closing in on their location!!! They are busted thinking how in the hell did they find me. Then in court, they find out that you had a LoJack system. Makes since now huh?

The reason tho keep them a secret, is because that if someone knows it is on there, they can disconnect it. Then the whole concept is down the drain!!! The point is to not let them know that the police are closing in on their location!!! They are busted thinking how in the hell did they find me. Then in court, they find out that you had a LoJack system. Makes since now huh?

No, because there are 2 scenarios.

1: You install, YOU know the location and every other LoJack certified installed

2: I install, I know the location and noone else.

Both assume I don't tell anyone I have LoJack installed.

We at CSC will not allow people to watch the install. This is due to legal ramifications that could come about, i truly understand wanting to be able to watch the work being done on your bike, and if this is a deal breaker I'm sorry. It is safer for you to not know what the system looks like anyways so you dont mistakenly disclose it to anyone.

The people that truly look for your motorcycle are the police, they have the systems and by their previous records of recovery are very good at it. So I am sure when i say that it would not matter if you have a "secret" install or not when it comes to the recovery of your motorcycle.

likwid--->Lojack is installed in several different locations on many different bikes. Each one is generally determined by the technician. Thus, there is no specific location or area for that matter to look for the system. Also, by installing it Lojack cannot guarantee that it will even work correctly. Hence that the policies we have in place are for the best interest of us and the customer for a proper installation and operation of the system.

Bodyman-------> Lojack has a battery that keep the system running if it is disconnected....see above post

Edited by Tomcat0403

We at CSC will not allow people to watch the install. This is due to legal ramifications that could come about, i truly understand wanting to be able to watch the work being done on your bike, and if this is a deal breaker I'm sorry. It is safer for you to not know what the system looks like anyways so you dont mistakenly disclose it to anyone.

The people that truly look for your motorcycle are the police, they have the systems and by their previous records of recovery are very good at it. So I am sure when i say that it would not matter if you have a "secret" install or not when it comes to the recovery of your motorcycle.

The shop near me has a display setup from LoJack that looks like a little keyfob, but doing some Googlez shows a different look (I wouldn't have expected the keyfob either since it wasn't hardwired at all)

But here's the thing, I have a cruiser, so there's not a lot of places to put things anyway. If someone trained installs it and a BG knows I have LoJack they will know of the "standard" places to look right after they steal it.

If I install it and a BG knows I have LoJack they will look in the "standard" places but I may not have put it there... :) I don't know where you're installing it, but what if I stumble upon it while I'm working on my bike... does it SAY LoJack on it (I would hope not!)

Brass tacks, I'd rather spend $500 on my insurance deductible than $800 for LoJack plus install (got that from the LoJack website, $200 for install is probably a really high number they use to accomodate the majority of shops(?)

I found this, not sure what installation costs and how this is different for MC

http://www.newcarslowestprice.com/lojackdiscountprices.asp

Bottom line is, you're paying for piece of mind right? Pay $500 for LoJack now and insurance and then NOT need to pay your deductible. Or pay for only insurance and then pay your deductible.

I realize there's some insurance companies that offer discounts for having LoJack, but it would have to be pretty significant to recoup costs short term.

I found this, not sure what installation costs and how this is different for MC

http://www.newcarslowestprice.com/lojackdiscountprices.asp

Bottom line is, you're paying for piece of mind right? Pay $500 for LoJack now and insurance and then NOT need to pay your deductible. Or pay for only insurance and then pay your deductible.

I realize there's some insurance companies that offer discounts for having LoJack, but it would have to be pretty significant to recoup costs short term.

Don't forget to weigh the cost of your insurance going up significantly because they just paid 10000 on a new motorcycle because yours was stolen...

The lojack with the keyfob is a new system that alerts you if your bike is being moved, started, or ridden. This accomplishes this through "seeing" the keyfob. If the bike is being moved, etc it will call, text, email, etc you until it gets an answer or response. This system also has the original tracking system on it.

Insurance companis generally offer 20% off of you comprehensive and some offer a no deductable option (check with insurance provider)

And no the system looks like and OEM part and does not have any markings whatsoever

We offer $100 off for OR members

There are plenty of what-ifs as with any situation, but if you at the record here in Ohio - 100% recovery rate and with Ohio being in the top ten of bike thefs and one of the Top states for motorcycle licenses and registrations, with all of this I truly believe in Lojack

DO you seriously think that the Owner of the bike in doing work on his opwn bike wont find said unit?

I mean I dismantle my bike myself for a lot of reasons.....What is the problem with the "OWNER" of the bike knowing what he has and where.

I just dont see the point. He paid for it....He owns it....If he wants to see it....SO be it.

I dont see how the owner knowing where it is is a problem....He paid you to put it on....he knows its there.

Your reasoning for an owner not knowing where the location is ridiculous to say the least. At what point does this become a liability to the installer or the store?

The same people know its installed on the same bike. Nothing changes.