Ohio BMV to raise fees

dmagicglock

If the bmv didn't suck enough already....

BMV Increases Fees Oct. 1

Posted: 3:41 pm EDT September 28, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Fees at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are going up soon.

Vision screening fees will jump by $1.75, while temporary tags are going up $8.

Officials said registration for personalized plates is going up to $15, and a $20 fee will be added for all late license and vehicle registration renewals.

The Prices changes being on Thursday, Oct. 1

http://www.whiotv.com/money/21139981/detail.html

If the bmv didn't suck enough already....

BMV Increases Fees Oct. 1

Posted: 3:41 pm EDT September 28, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Fees at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are going up soon.

Vision screening fees will jump by $1.75, while temporary tags are going up $8.

Officials said registration for personalized plates is going up to $15, and a $20 fee will be added for all late license and vehicle registration renewals.

The Prices changes being on Thursday, Oct. 1

:eek: Wow. That's actually not bad.

CA doesn't have temporary tags and vision screening comes with the license renewal which is $28.

Registration for most personalized plates is $41 to order it and $30 additional per year added in renewal. Most expensive personalized plate is $90 to order and $70 additional per year added in renewal. Late license fees are calculated by how "late" you're paying them. This is from the CA DMV website.

Late one to 10 days $10

Late 11 to 30 days $15 Late 31 days to (and including) one year $30

Late more than one year to (and including) two years $50

Late more than two years $100

With the $250+ it costs me to renew my Subaru and the $180 for my FJR every year in CA, the BMV is a change of pace.

Ohio could go up $50 in registration and not even come close to CA fees! :lol:The hard part is trying to figure out where all that money went...CA sucks.

Are you telling that in CA it's only $30/yr to renew personal plates?! That can't be right! It's like $85 or something like that here! Happy birthday tp Bret in December. We've got 2 cars, his bike and the trailer all with personalized plates due then!

When I lived in Louisville it your plate renewal was based on the value of your vehicle. Brand new SUV was not fun to renew.

Edited by F4iBunny

Are you telling that in CA it's only $30/yr to renew personal plates?! That can't be right! It's like $85 or something like that here! Happy birthday tp Bret in December. We've got 2 cars, his bike and the trailer all with personalized plates due then!

When I lived in Louisville it your plate renewal was based on the value of your vehicle. Brand new SUV was not fun to renew.

$30-70/year per plate depending on the background. That money goes to a certain charity. Your basic $10,000 car would cost around $180. Add another $100 per $10,000 additional value. This last year was bad because they raised the registration fee by 50%. The largest registration I ever saw was for a RV: $2,300 for one year. (I used to process DMV transactions in CA.)

$30-70/year per plate depending on the background. That money goes to a certain charity. Your basic $10,000 car would cost around $180. Add another $100 per $10,000 additional value. This last year was bad because they raised the registration fee by 50%. The largest registration I ever saw was for a RV: $2,300 for one year. (I used to process DMV transactions in CA.)

well cali can drop off into the damn ocean anytime now.... they suck balls!!:D

yeah the "late" fee is bullshit since you dont HAVE to have updated plates if you dont drive. i'd like to see someone challenge that. That's why i got my bike plates renewed today, they were expired about 3 weeks, but that's because i wasn't using it at all.

yeah the "late" fee is bullshit since you dont HAVE to have updated plates if you dont drive. i'd like to see someone challenge that. That's why i got my bike plates renewed today, they were expired about 3 weeks, but that's because i wasn't using it at all.

yeah i don't renew my plates until spring normally cause its stupid to pay for registration for something thats in storage... If I wasn't trying to sell my bike I might register it already to avoid the fine :confused:

I also hate how we're only one of like 12 states that has front and back license plates!

As I understand it the late fee is an attempt to keep people from driving unregistered vehicles and therefore possibly uninsured. If you want to avoid the late fee you can suposedly scratch off the sticker and return it to the DMV for a partial refund of the unused time. Then freshly renew the plate when you are ready to ride again. Unfortionatly deputy registars do not offer the refund.

Well, I guess I better go renew my truck plates before thursday. They've been expired since July 12, I wasn't too worried about it since I only drive it like once a month. Vehicle registrations should be like my boat registration, $50 and you're good for 3 years....

Well, I guess I better go renew my truck plates before thursday. They've been expired since July 12, I wasn't too worried about it since I only drive it like once a month. Vehicle registrations should be like my boat registration, $50 and you're good for 3 years....

Yeah but you still need a plate for your boat trailer.

Yes, Californians definitely pay more to their state government for the honor of being able to drive in their state. If I were living there right now I would probably be wondering where the money goes, too. I mean, besides what went to special interest groups and powerful state lobbyists. Ohio may be bad - I cannot deny that - but al least the state has to pass a balanced budget every year. This, unfortunately, forces things like fee car, motorcycle and driver's license fees to pay for so many wonderful things in the Dept. of Public Safety.

went to the BMV today to go ahead and renew my registration since I paid off the yammie and wanted to get the title to it... anyways, moral of the story:

Do only white trash people go to the dmv? Who know so much WT owned cars... I mean I could go to walmart on the 1st and 15th and not see that many rejects. And no matter how low my expectations are at the dmv... its always worse than I was expecting. And what about these people that are in their 40's getting a license renewal or plate renewal? Have they never done this before? Can you remember to bring your drivers license and remember the BMV doesn't take credit cards? And then when you get pissed off that you forgot to bring cash, don't piss and moan at the lady that works there and get her panties all in a bunch so she treats me like an illegal immigrant asking for free healthcare. -end rant