Should you get a flu shot???

Casper

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=8820642

Now come on, tell me it isn't just about the money...

As always with pandemic flus, taxpayers are footing the $1.5 billion check for the 250 million swine flu vaccines that the government has ordered so far and will be distributing free to doctors, pharmacies and schools. In addition, Congress has set aside more than $10 billion this year to research flu viruses, monitor H1N1's progress and educate the public about prevention.

:nono:

Vaccinations are only as effective as the percentage of the population that gets them. Your grandma getting one doesn't help if you're around her and have the flu.

If 100% of people are vaccinated then there is less a risk to the general population than if only 50% have it.

I will be getting a regular flu shot this year. My company pays for it. With over 1000 people in my building I don't want to risk it.

My company is offering free flu shots to us as well but not sure if I should get one. I honestly don't remember ever getting one.

I will be getting a regular flu shot this year. My company pays for it. With over 1000 people in my building I don't want to risk it. But I won't get an H1N1 shot.

Yah to that too, my company pays for all employees to get the shot, all +30,000

I've gotten a flu shot twice because they were free and both times those were the sickest years I've had so no thank you to that

:plus1: I was forced to get them when I was in the Corps and every year I was down for 2-3 days sick. Since I have gotten out, I have had the flu maybe 3 times in the 10 years since. No thanka you. And they can keep that damn swine flu shot.

I've gotten a flu shot twice because they were free and both times those were the sickest years I've had so no thank you to that
:plus1: I was forced to get them when I was in the Corps and every year I was down for 2-3 days sick. Since I have gotten out, I have had the flu maybe 3 times in the 10 years since. No thanka you. And they can keep that damn swine flu shot.

AMEN!! The one time I've gotten a flu vaccination, I ended up getting the flu shortly thereafter. Pissed me off, 'cause I HATE needles, but got sick anyways. I've always said I'd make a lousy diabetic or heroin addict ;)

No Thanx...... I'll pass.... Haven't ever gotten another one since

Also, in regards to the swine flu, the vaccine was out many decades ago and it's been recorded of being dangerous and some died from it.

I still don't know why everyone uses the term swine flu, this strain didn't even originate from pigs. I guess it just sounds better than H1N1 or North American Flu. http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/cold-flu/swine-flu?sem=1&ncid=AOLHTH00170000000017&otim=1255627173&spid=33206078

Typically found in pigs, swine influenza is caused by influenza type A viruses and is an acute respiratory illness that causes outbreaks of influenza in pigs. While swine flu does not normally infect humans -- the CDC reports that approximately one human swine influenza virus infection every one to two years in the United States -- from December 2005 through February 2009, 12 cases of human infection with swine influenza were reported.

"Most of the time [the virus] stays in pigs," says Dr. David Reeves, associate professor of population health at The University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. "The one that they're talking about appears to be a new strain of the virus. We don't know how it happened. We've not seen it in pigs, but it's circulating within humans. Why? That's the million dollar question."

I look at it as a level of exposure. I live alone, no kids, and am out in the country so my exposure is very low. It will be interesting if a high number of people getting the H1N1 or "hiney" shot get sick since a large number will be public servents and first responders. What do we do then?

Never got the flu shot before until this year. My OB pressured me into getting the regular flu shot Tuesday. Even though they didn't have the H1N1 vaccine at their practice yet, he was highly recommending I get it when they do get it.

I've heard so many people say they are not getting the H1N1 vaccine but then they turn around and say, "But you should since you're pregnant." Where's the logic in that??

The only reason's I've heard other people say as to why not is because it's new or they feel it was rushed to be distributed. Tell me something with a little more grounds like some lady's kid came out with a tale or something.

I just recieved my Flu vac but not sure if i have to get the H1N1. Some health care facilities might be requiring them so i might be forced into it. Being in the military and deploying over seas, i have taken so many vaccines or pills i can't give blood for a long time. Anthrax more then once and i mean the whole series and malaria pills as well.

I've heard so many people say they are not getting the H1N1 vaccine but then they turn around and say, "But you should since you're pregnant." Where's the logic in that??

I suppose if I were female and pregnant I would definitly get the H1N1 shot since it sems to really effect those with weakend or supressed imune systems. As I see it being pregnant puts you into a much higher risk catagory to getting H1N1 and if you do get it the consequences would be that much worse for you and the unborn child. Alot of risk there vs someone age 20 to 50 who might simply miss a few days of work and at worst have to fight pnumonia.:rolleyes: