Should you get a flu shot???

Casper

I got the inactivated form of the H1N1 vaccine (injection). There is also a live virus H1N1 vaccine (nasal mist). The nasal mist causes you to shed the virus for up to 21 days. I probably wouldn't have taken it had that been my only option.

Call me nuts, but I don't know why anyone would ever think much more research went into each seasonal flu shot than H1N1 since the seasonal vaccine changes every year. On that note, I also got my seasonal flu shot.

i have never had any sort of flu shot. my theory is kinda simple. the less outside shit i pump into my body the better. i have done chiropractic care since i was about 9 abd ask any one that knows me really well, i never get sick.

I look at it as a level of exposure. I live alone, no kids, and am out in the country so my exposure is very low. It will be interesting if a high number of people getting the H1N1 or "hiney" shot get sick since a large number will be public servents and first responders. What do we do then?

Didn't "I Am Legend" start out like that??? ;)

Vaccinations are only as effective as the percentage of the population that gets them. Your grandma getting one doesn't help if you're around her and have the flu.

If 100% of people are vaccinated then there is less a risk to the general population than if only 50% have it.

Not following you here? Are you thinking grandma get sick anyway?

"Here' date=' this injection will keep you from getting the flu. Really? What is it? It's the flu.. (stab)" [/quote']

are flu shots attenuated virus or viral epitopes?

Scams. All scams. Even the normal flu shot is a scam. It only immunizes you from the strain that the CDC thinks is most likely to spread. There are thousands of other strains of the flu that you aren't immune to.

I think it's strains, and so long as the virus you end up seeing has one of the multiple immunized epitopes, you'll have an elevated immune response.

I've had one flu-shot,only because I was forced to when entering the military. It made me sick as a dog for 5 days.......Don't believe the hype.

I had to get the flu vaccine last year as i worked in a hospital. They gave us the intranasal spray, no shot, no pain, no sickness. If i can get the IN one this year again, i will.

Anyone catch the piece on "60 Minutes" last night? They interviewed some high up at the CDC & she compared outbreak & mortality numbers from this point last year to today's. Increase was off the charts...... Like 7 deaths this time last year & 800+ now :eek:

They also interviewed some other doctror/researcher who has/studies sample strands from previous decades. He says H1N1 compares most similarly to the 1918 outbreak, which was apparently devastating. I think they said 5 million or 50 million deaths worldwide if I heard correctly

What they didn't mention though, & was the obvious question to me, was how did they cure the 1918 epidemic? Did it just run it's course naturally, or did we find a cure/control for it? Perhaps the answer is staring us right in the face from history???

He says this is why seniors born up 'til about 1950 are showing more immunity to this H1N1, since they're bodies have developed a response previously to that similar 1918 strain

Edited by Fonzie

Never had one, never will. My dad works in a hospital and never had one until last year, he got it and was sick for 4 days. So he also said never again. I don't care if it's free or not.

My sister got one last year and was sick for several days too, now I am paranoid to get one.

there's two types of the flu shot, the normal one is not an attenuated virus but just contains the proteins I believe to allow you to have the immunity. The second one is a nasal spray and that is the attenuated virus which is usually only given to healthy adults, not immunocompromised individuals or the young and elderly. Got my flu shot for the first time in my life today :( Have a 7 month old and didn't want to get her sick if I caught it (she got the second part of shot as well and didn't even cry!) That being said I've only got the flu once in my life ( i was 13)... There's something called "herd immunity" which basically means you receive indirect immunity by everyone else being immunized because they are no longer carriers and statistically your chances of catching the flu drop dramatically. So don't worry about getting the shot, just worry about everyone around you getting it :)