Here's A Tire Question!

ProudPops

Watching Speed this afternoon, about three hours of WorldSuperSport 600's from this year. I really enjoy the WSBK series because it's so competetive. There's a reason for that. They all have to race on the same junk tires. Now, nothing against Pirrellis, but, weather SuperBike or SuperSport, they all have the same complaint. "After the first five laps, the tires are done." Now, depending on the circuit, they still have eighteen to twenty laps to go.

OK, back to subject. Watching the Brno race, starting track temps are 37C, you do the math, high humidity. The commentator says he talked to the Pirrelli rep and here's what he had to say. "Due to the high humidity in this area, moisture in the air used to fill the tires is a problem. It turns to water and boils inside the tires at race speed thus increasing the tire pressures." I never thought about it, but it makes sense. Same reason you have a water filter on your air tools, keep the moisture out.

Here's my question. I remember when air suspensions on bikes went to nitrogen (do they still do that? Seriously). I wonder what would happen to tires if they tried the same thing or fill them with some non codensating whatever. I was born before science, geometry, and spelling were invented, so maybe I'm way out in left field. Maybe your bikes would just float off to Oz, I don't know. But I want to.

Pops

if you go to any tire stores (discount tire, tire kingdom, ect) you can ask them for the no2. it doesn expand or contract with different temps. its been proven, but probably not proven on a racetrack. so i guess the question is still there. is it better, worse, or the same? but if you think about it it hase to make your bike a tiny bit lighter. that has to be good for something.