Chain Cleaning

RSVDon

With o-ring chains, 99% of the game is just keeping it clean. the o-rings are what keep the chain from binding up by holding grease inside the rollers. The other 1% is keeping the side plates lubricated.

The reason Nick has such good success with WD-40 is because he uses more like a cleaner than a lubricant.

I do all that. My wax buddy always is amazed how clean/new my chain always looks. :lol:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I skipped the first 8 pages, but WD-40 is not a lubricant, and probably eats the bushings in X and O-ring chains.

there is a reason that purpose-sold chain clean and chain lube are different products, and labeled explicitly as, "Safe for use with X-ring and O-ring chains."

Got to love the WD40 motorcycle chain internet argument. It's been going on since I first logged on a forum in 2003. More have sworn by it than against it. I tried it after wax was robbing horsepower, collecting dirt and gunking up my chain; I never looked back afterward. So many experts on USING it when they have no experience with it. Very long chain life and many that don't change sprockets have waited 30k+ miles with it before buying new one. My last one was at 21k miles before I decided to get new sprockets.

Edited by NinjaNick

I seldom use WD40 myself. I have gotten into using used oil to soak the chain to clean it and then after spinning the oil off I use Chain wax. However, I've found the Yamaha chain lube works well as a soaking medium to remove dirt.

I seldom use WD40 myself. I have gotten into using used oil to soak the chain to clean it and then after spinning the oil off I use Chain wax. However, I've found the Yamaha chain lube works well as a soaking medium to remove dirt.

I like experimenting and learning from my findings. I've also tried gear oil that was suggested once and that stuff I definitely would never suggest after I tried it. I've done waxes too, and WD40 netted the best results for me from price to performance. I never care what others use, because their bike is of no worry to me. I just don't like people knocking shit when they never tried it. Use it for a long time and then your complaints are valid.

Well, sometimes it's a matter of hearing different experiences. Things you might not have tried. :) A lot of chain lube discussion doesn't convert well because we're all using different chains and riding different conditions on bikes with very different torques.

Well, sometimes it's a matter of hearing different experiences. Things you might not have tried. :) A lot of chain lube discussion doesn't convert well because we're all using different chains and riding different conditions on bikes with very different torques.

Just like the "what oil do you use" discussions, those are painful to read through

Got to love the WD40 motorcycle chain internet argument. It's been going on since I first logged on a forum in 2003. More have sworn by it than against it. I tried it after wax was robbing horsepower, collecting dirt and gunking up my chain; I never looked back afterward. So many experts on USING it when they have no experience with it. Very long chain life and many that don't change sprockets have waited 30k+ miles with it before buying new one. My last one was at 21k miles before I decided to get new sprockets.

Im just going off pressure tests on bearings under heat and pressure I have done... like I said it don't perform I have witnessed it numerous times.

Not one negative motorcycle chain issue on the stuff. It's the same with the guys needing supersport tires for the street like they are benefiting from them. A few are fast, but most are not, and more than most are wannabe racers that just want the latest and coolest. :lol: I use to think that way until...guess what....I TRIED different tires (Dunlop Roadsmarts). :D I've experienced it performing like a bat out of hell and begging for more stress. Never gives up and keeps performing well. God bless the shit!

Edited by NinjaNick