Chain Cleaning

RSVDon

Ok, well I'm gonna be "that guy" because frankly I'm curious. Now ladies, this isn't a bashing thread, I want legit answers and legit questions. Any smack talk without proper evidence to back it up will be dismissed.

So, with that out of the way. Onward.

I used WD-40 on the Ape's chain all last year followed by a chain lube like Suzuki's S-lube. It worked pretty well, the WD-40 cleaned up the chain nicely and took a lot of grit out of it when used with a scrub brush.

Near the end of the year, I noticed a few links that were binding a little. You could tell that they weren't flexing properly. I gave the whole chain a WD-40 bath and that seemed to help, but the problem came back after a few weeks, more links that wouldn't move correctly.

So what do you think? Was the WD-40 taking the grease out from the links? Or was it the fact that this chain was a piece of shit. (I'm leaning more towards the latter given it stretched an extra inch on a 250 mile ride which ultimately led to many other issues)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive always heard that wd40 is bad for bike chains and is only good for things that arent moved much...light lubrication like a door jamb....ive always used wd40 on things i didnt care about (couple old dirt bikes) if i didnt have any chain wax...but in general, ide say no to wd40

You may use WD-40 on chains that have NO O-rings.

You can tell if your chain has O-rings or not.

Look very closely at the chain.

You will see black voids(o-rings) between the pivot points.

Use motorcycle brand O-ring lube on O-ring chains.

Treat X-ring Cains the same.

I've heard WD-40 eats O-rings up

From what I've read abbout the topic, WD-40 itself is not bad for the chain, but the propellant in the aerosol can is bad for the O-rings. Basically, if you were to get the WD-40 in the squirt bottle, it SHOULD be ok.

It's sounding like your chain was wearing out anyway, since it's to the point of significantly stretching over a couple hundred miles, and the WD-40 aerosol might have been causing the binding, due to failing O-rings. From what I've read, the chain lube is more just to condition the O-rings, so that they hold in the factory filled lube.

I was told the same thing that Wrillo posted above concerning WD-40 causing deterioration of the O-Rings. I've used it in the past, however sparingly. Rather than bathing the chain in it, I'd just spray it on a rag, and use the rag to clean the chain.

I've since fallen in like with Motorex Chain Clean 611, and I follow up with regular Honda Chain Lube.

From what I've read abbout the topic, WD-40 itself is not bad for the chain, but the propellant in the aerosol can is bad for the O-rings. Basically, if you were to get the WD-40 in the squirt bottle, it SHOULD be ok.

It's sounding like your chain was wearing out anyway, since it's to the point of significantly stretching over a couple hundred miles, and the WD-40 aerosol might have been causing the binding, due to failing O-rings. From what I've read, the chain lube is more just to condition the O-rings, so that they hold in the factory filled lube.

Hmmm, I have never heard that before. I was using the aerosol can and switched to a big ol' can of the stuff near the end of the year. I knew the chain was shit.

Hmmm, I have never heard that before. I was using the aerosol can and switched to a big ol' can of the stuff near the end of the year. I knew the chain was shit.

How about good ole kerosene for cleaning the chain? I'm thinkin gthat I read that was fine. I really should clean my chain before I lube it the next time (both bikes) as it's getting quite filthy!

I'm way more random about it than I should be. Maybe every 6-800? I think Kawi says 500 miles on the 250, not sure what Hon-duh says about the interceptor. I think anywhere around 500-1,000 is fine, as long as you're not riding in the rain a bunch, washing the stuff off.

wd40 is not good for o-ring chains. it can penetrate the o-rings and clean out the grease.

kerosene is a MUCH better cleaning solvent. It's cheap and can be found just about anywhere. It's easy to find in the winter and you can get it at WalMart in the camping section. Lamp Oil is kerosene also and will work just the same.

Some people put it on a rag and others will put it in a spray bottle.

When I do a deep cleaning, especially after riding in water, I use old motor oil to soak the chain. Then dry it with a rag and let it drip for a day or so. Then I apply chain wax to seal it. Most my chains have lasted over 10,000 mi doing this and show few signs of rust or wear.

From what I've read, WD-40 does NOT damage o-rings or x-rings....

HOWEVER, the propellant in the can supposedly does. This is just what I've read, I'm not sure if it's 100% true but it made sense to me.

Ahem... I think typing cat was too busy typing to read the thread, either that or he has me on ignore :dunno:

Here's a link from the ninja 250 riders site, they have some really good info there, and not all is specific to the 250. : http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_drivechain%3F

Ahem... I think typing cat was too busy typing to read the thread, either that or he has me on ignore :dunno:

Here's a link from the ninja 250 riders site, they have some really good info there, and not all is specific to the 250. : http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_drivechain%3F

Damn, that's what I get for skimming :) You're not on ignore homey :)