NO! to charging extra for old bikes

xxxl

Unless I'm feeling lazy (happens often) I shouldn't really need to know this but here goes anyway.

Can you tell me what shops in the central Ohio area don't charge a higher shop rate for older bikes?

I noticed that my local Suzuki steelership (Heath) wants an extra $15 an hour to work on bikes built before 1995.

I'd like to compile a list.

Thanks,

Chris

XXXL

That sounds way to bogus to me! Those are the bikes built for us to work on ourselves. Simple carbs, simple timing. No maps, no laptops, do a throttle chop, read your plugs and adjust from there. With FI, Power Commander, etc, these kids are smart. There's noting to dropping that bank of four and doing your own tuning

Well I posted this question on another forum and a reasonable (almost) explanation did turn up.

The surcharge is there to discourage people. They don't want someone bringing in their 70's 500 Honda thats been sitting in the garage for 25 odd years and asking if the shop can get it running again for under $400.

Although most of us can work on our old bikes there are some who can't or won't.

So are there independent mechanics in central O who don't charge extra?

I'm still not buying it! If the bike's been sitting for two years it may take longer to get it up and running but they're still getting their hourly labor rate, only with more hours. I don't know bro. My ten year old HD doesn't cost any more than a new one. Maybe that's because they're just raping us all. Not really, I go to Wild Boar on Indianola. The guy that owns it is the only one that has wrenched on my bike since I bought it ten years ago, I just follow him because I trust him. My shit works when I pick it up, write the check, get on my bike and know it's better now.

Pops

I have heard that it is a larger liability for some shops to work on something ten years or older. Simply for the safety reasons of it being older. They have to inspect more things before they let the bike leave because if they dont and something happens then the shop is fucked. Say a customer wants his carbs cleaned and the shop does it but does not inspect any thing else, i.e. dry rot on tires possible rusty chain or other stupid shit that can cuz the bike to wreck. Then the customer takes off and and the thing runs great but the front tire happened to be dry rotted and it pops and the dude wrecks and hurts himeself. He could try to go after the shop saying that they should have told him that.

This is why, also with cars, people at repair places always offer to fix something or tell you something is wrong if they see it. As long as they tell you or offer to fix it for you they are covered. If they offer and you decline then they have that written in their notes " Customer Refusal"

Still not buying into it!!!! If you're paying them an hourly shop rate and it takes longer they're still getting their shop rate, only more hours. Why should the consumer have to pay a higher hourly rate with the pain of more hours to boot just because the bike is older. Trust me on this one. As the years creep up on you, as they have me, you will keep your bikes longer. This coming December, I will have had my bike for ten years. Yes, she will have a bon fire Birthday party, I just have to see when 12/06 falls, she will be sitting on the hill decorated in Christmas lights. The day I ride her into a shop that tells me I have to pay more because of her age, the world will know about it and I won't stop at the shop's name.

Pops

I spent a few years turning wrenches in a shop myself and liability wasn't the reason you inspected every job for more work. It was more just a matter of finding things that needed to be done while the job was in your bay. More work was just a phone call away. You did the inspection regardless of the amount of vehicles lined up in the lot. It is just a matter of good service.

Yea, I don't like this practice of charging more for older bikes. I think it is just BS too. The reason for it seems to be nothing more than to discourage owners of old bikes. Dealers want to cater to late models, they can order parts right off the PC and get them in a few days. Old bikes are different, they may not be able to get parts without a lot of work and then they have to push the bike in and out of the building everyday. Looks like free storage to them.

So anyway, when you go into your favorite shops just look for the rates or ask about them and post it here if they charge more or the same for old bikes.

And are there any local independent shops who cater to old bikes? I know there are Harly shops and maybe some European shops but what about shops that work on old Jap bikes, anybody know about any independents that cater to older bikes?