does anyone here jog?

oldschoolsdime92

I was a sprinter in HS. had a few sub 50 400s. my coach always wanted me to run the 800 but id run a 52-53 first 400 and a 75 second. didn't know how to pace myself. also ran the 4X100 4x200 4x400 polevault. them were the days.

4:32 mile seems fast from what I remember. That's the only race I'd consistently win in track. I sucked at pole vault but it was fun. I was too light to make the pole bend.

4:32 mile seems fast from what I remember. That's the only race I'd consistently win in track. I sucked at pole vault but it was fun. I was too light to make the pole bend.

4:32 probably wouldn't get you out of a D1 District final. You could probably score top 5 in a D1 conference though.

• 1 month later...
These^^^ if you must jog do it on a cushioned track like at a high school. I would say jogging is for people who are already in shape but I think biking, swimming, cross country skiing is a much better option for anyone.

Getting fit for the right pair of shoes will do wonders. A random pair of nike shox isnt going to get it. Starting out thats what i was wearing because thats what i already had. Switching to a pair of real running shoes and actually having your foot measured makes a world of difference. The Saucony's i have now dont look the coolest but feel 1000x better to run in.

Did a 10k trail race Tuesday night. Felt good, and went 8 minutes faster than last year!

http://cephas365.blogspot.com/2013/05/127-trail-race.html

This reminds me that i need to start doing hill work. Also have thought about doing some trail running as well. A change of scenery would be nice also. Some days it get old watching the asphalt go by.

These^^^ if you must jog do it on a cushioned track like at a high school. I would say jogging is for people who are already in shape but I think biking, swimming, cross country skiing is a much better option for anyone.

I always thought that running hurt my knees, and that I needed a pair of shoes with lots of support and cushion in the heel.

But instead I found if you use barefoot/zero drop shoes and dont land on my heels my knees are much happier.

Now granted I dont run much and so don't put in big miles but I am about 220 and I run out my front door, so that means mostly asphalt with some grass, cinders and dirt for an occasional change.

Im using these http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/instinct

A11332-080_Red_xl1.jpg

On the recommendation of Cleveland Running Co.

an excellent store if you are in the area.

I have wide feet and these fit much better than NB, Merrell and Five Fingers.

Craig

Yeah, I'm another minimal/zero drop believer. I spent last year banging out miles in a pair of Brooks Trance 10s, and hurting myself doing it. I just couldn't keep my heels off the ground to save my life, which means I was heel striking, which produces all the shock on your body that ruins your knees/hips/ankles/back. I thought I needed more padding, so I went and got fitted for a pair of Sauconys, but those were so, so much worse. Wrong direction. This year I got a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence 2s, and no more problems. Amazing stuff. It's almost like our feet were designed to run without all that extra padding and "support."

• 4 months later...

You guys still at it? My left hip is acting up again some, so my miles aren't what they should be, but the racing is still going well:

http://pete.hitzeman.com/cephas365/?p=1403

Still puttung in the miles here. I have mixed in some biking as well. Two days a week i do run/ride bricks and try to do one day of just riding.  I'm wanting to do a couple Duathlons next year. A competative Sprint distance is what im aiming for.  I did see the other day that there are also mini duathlons with mile distances of 2-7-2.  Last night i did a mock race for myself (with the transition area being the back of my truck....lol) and compared my time to previous races.  Which would put me atleast in the top 10 overall and more often than not top 5 only being about 5minutes from the number 1 spot. Granted its not a huge field, maybe 30-40 people but a wins a win!

As far as races i havent done any since May or June. I may do one or two by the end of the year. I like running in the cold better anyway.

Was in Florida last month, ran beach bare foot all week, felt great. Minimalist is the way to go. Looking at the Newtons for next shoe.

I ran on the beach barefoot one time. had blisters so bad by that evening I couldnt walk. will not be doing that again.

The only way you'll see me run is either away from something trying to kill me or towards free beer.

I used to say the same thing, believe me.

Had a pretty good "10k" last weekend (except that it was short). Placed, though!

http://pete.hitzeman.com/cephas365/271-placing/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thought I would bring this one back from the dead. I've begun running good bit. Okay, well, A couple 5ks a week. I've always been into bicycles, and in recent years, joined the spandex crowd on the road bike. I sold all of my motorcycles over the summer(minus the JR50)  and have really focused on bicycles.  I purchased an airborne goblin, and started riding all the local mountain bike trails I could find. This progressed into:" I need a new road bike" So after much research , I settled on a 2016 giant defy 1 disc. So I've been attempting to log 50 miles a week, via bicycle. One day around thanksgiving I really wanted a workout, but didn't have the time to go ride for a few hours. So i thought I'd try to run. I laced up my recently purchased new balances, warmed up, stretched and away I went. 

Upon leaving the house, I had it in my head I was going to try to run a 5k. I didn't care how long it took, I was doing it. My first 5k I managed to pull off in 30:39. I felt miserable, but the bug bit me. I wanted to go faster.

In the following weeks I have mixed running/roadie/mountain bike and gate practice at the indoor Bmx track. 

I have continued to run weekly 5Ks and managed to shave some time off. My best time being 26:50. 

Now, the unexpected benefit to this running shenanigans, has been how much it has helped my cycling. My cruising pace on my roadie has increased from 16mph to 18-19 mph. BMX racing is pretty much a full on sprint with some jumps for 60-90 seconds. I feel much more explosive out the turns, and typically by the last turn, I was running out of gas, and now I am much more stable at this point. I believe I will continue on with this running business, and hope to run a few 5-10ks in the spring. 

Anyone else here use strava?

• Upvote 1

Thought I would bring this one back from the dead. I've begun running good bit. Okay, well, A couple 5ks a week. I've always been into bicycles, and in recent years, joined the spandex crowd on the road bike. I sold all of my motorcycles over the summer(minus the JR50) and have really focused on bicycles. I purchased an airborne goblin, and started riding all the local mountain bike trails I could find. This progressed into:" I need a new road bike" So after much research , I settled on a 2016 giant defy 1 disc. So I've been attempting to log 50 miles a week, via bicycle. One day around thanksgiving I really wanted a workout, but didn't have the time to go ride for a few hours. So i thought I'd try to run. I laced up my recently purchased new balances, warmed up, stretched and away I went.

Upon leaving the house, I had it in my head I was going to try to run a 5k. I didn't care how long it took, I was doing it. My first 5k I managed to pull off in 30:39. I felt miserable, but the bug bit me. I wanted to go faster.

In the following weeks I have mixed running/roadie/mountain bike and gate practice at the indoor Bmx track.

I have continued to run weekly 5Ks and managed to shave some time off. My best time being 26:50.

Now, the unexpected benefit to this running shenanigans, has been how much it has helped my cycling. My cruising pace on my roadie has increased from 16mph to 18-19 mph. BMX racing is pretty much a full on sprint with some jumps for 60-90 seconds. I feel much more explosive out the turns, and typically by the last turn, I was running out of gas, and now I am much more stable at this point. I believe I will continue on with this running business, and hope to run a few 5-10ks in the spring.

Anyone else here use strava?

Mind selling me some of that initiative? I'm joining a friendly biggest loser competition at work starting Jan 1st, so I've been packing on weight the last month to help give me a greater ( possibility ) percentage of overall loss. Stand to win upwards of $2k so I'm really getting my mindset on to kick my ass this coming year Edited by Hellmutt

Mind selling me some of that initiative? I'm joining a friendly biggest loser competition at work starting Jan 1st, so I've been packing on weight the last month to help give me a greater ( possibility ) percentage of overall loss. Stand to win upwards of $2k so I'm really getting my mindset on to kick my ass this coming year

Sure, I'll sell you some :lol: best thing I can recommend, is just coming out to ride, download " lose it" on your phone and track your calories and work hard =)